Bright Red Venous Blood?

Simusid

Forum Captain
I responded to a call for an unresponsive female age 56 at a cancer care facility. When we arrived we found her lying on her side in bed and was borderline verbally responsive. She has a hx of lung cancer and the lead medic believed her issue was related to her meds. The transport was routine, with a normal 12 lead and IV access started.

I usually do the glucose check using the sharp I'm handed by the medic after the IV is started. I'm very used to seeing dark red venous blood but this time it was very bright red. I don't think I understand what this might indicate. My first thought was that it's because of the lung cancer, but why would that be? Bright red means it's carrying oxygen that it got from the lungs, and to me it means that the blood cells did not give up their oxygen to the body.

Now if I saw dark red arterial blood that would have made sense to me with the cancer hx.

Google tells me that two most common causes of bright red venous blood are CO and cyanide poisoning. I can't rule them out of course, but I doubt this was the cause.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
That's the art of medicine (pun unintended)

"Venous blood is always dark". Nope. I had an instructor say venous blood was bluish, and I've read that also in laypersons' pamphlets. It is generally darker than arterial blood, but "light" and "dark" can be affected by light (amount and color), perception, and extrinsic factors like dilution.
That said, one way blood can look brighter is if there is a lot of serum in it. Oversqueezing glucose fingersticks too close to the puncture site will force more serum into the specimen, and since it is a colorimetric test, it can throw off your results.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
"That said, one way blood can look brighter is if there is a lot of serum in it. Oversqueezing glucose fingersticks too close to the puncture site will force more serum into the specimen, and since it is a colorimetric test, it can throw off your results.

whoa,,, slow down, this sounds like something I should know..

the puncture site of the lancette?? so, force blood for glucose from the bottom of the finger??

Jinkx

Forum Probie
"Venous blood is always dark". Nope. I had an instructor say venous blood was bluish, and I've read that also in laypersons' pamphlets. It is generally darker than arterial blood, but "light" and "dark" can be affected by light (amount and color), perception, and extrinsic factors like dilution.
That said, one way blood can look brighter is if there is a lot of serum in it. Oversqueezing glucose fingersticks too close to the puncture site will force more serum into the specimen, and since it is a colorimetric test, it can throw off your results.

...And the amount of gas exchange, as well as where in the body. Bright red blood can come from burst capillaries in the throat from a nasty cough, nose from pickin it, blowing to hard, or doing to much blow. CO poisoning also causes this in the lungs.

mycrofft

Finsgerstick 101

Worked six years on the diabetic area of our jail.
Perform puncture, holding the finger you are sticking firmly at the next proximal joint (distal interphalangeal, or DIP). This acts like a venous TK but is not too near the puncture. Don't gronch down on it. If there is still no blood flow, "milk it" once or twice at the joint (not the puncture) but not with caveman force. Failure=>bandaid, go to other finger.
The old maneuver of the pt whipping their hand (like shaking down a thermometer, same priniciple) can be done in advance if the pt is conscious and there is room. Don't have them sling it after it's punctured, it might sling blood droplets all over.

I've seen nurses SQUEEZE the distal phalanx right around the puncture and get a good specimen, but I have also seen and gotten bad specimens that way.

Jinkx

Forum Probie
Ive seen that as well. Off subject Ive scene medics use a drop off the end of an IV Cath to do a D stick. It gets a result but rarely accurate. I think its a bad and lazy habit.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
Ive seen that as well. Off subject Ive scene medics use a drop off the end of an IV Cath to do a D stick. It gets a result but rarely accurate. I think its a bad and lazy habit.

thanks guys,,, and this quote is what I was taught several months ago also. but I not used this method. and appears, I won't until told to by the higher ups.

mycrofft

IV cath is okay if IV has not been started yet.

If it has started, you are measuring the color of the IV solution too.

PS: a glucometer reading of IV solution would not show the glucose in it, just the dilution of the blood by the clear solution plus the colorimetirc reponse of the RBC's.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief

Yeah I agree, cutting corners is not a good habit to get into.

reaper

Working Bum
Depends on you Glucometer. There are ones that are quite accurate on venous blood. So never say it is cutting corners.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
^^^ Yup. If you have a glucometer that is rated for venous blood it is an acceptable method of obtaining a sample. Ours are rated for venous blood, so it isn't so much cutting corners as it is 1 stick vs 2 sticks.

livewiremaxx

Forum Crew Member
Same here, we use the blood sample from the first flash - and it doesnt have IV fluids mixed because the IV isnt hooked up yet till thats out. It is less invasice for the pt.

mycrofft

I'm curious why the IV drip was not accurate

MAybe...too much blood, or with IV solution in it? Curoous what indicated it was inaccurate. Just curious, not trollish.

rook901

Forum Crew Member
I've never heard that BG via glucometer was colorimetric. Interesting.

Just out of curiosity -- we're told that if a patient has had a traumatic head injury and has clear fluid coming from the nose, to check it with a glucometer to check for glucose (indicates that the fluid is CSF). If the glucometer is colorimetric, how does it measure glucose in a clear liquid?

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Anemia typically causes brigher coloring. Also, squeezing fingers to hard can rupture fragile RBCs and release extra glucose.

Old school glucometers used to be colorimetric, now a days, they are enzimatic. The colorimetric are a step above the old blot the strip, wait 60-90 second... wipe and read by matching the colors on the bottle. ( those were the days... )

:-/

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Ach, yes! Sorry. No longer colorimetric!

Dang, maybe they WILL measure glucose in an IV solution?
Oldest "glucometers" WERE colorimetric. In fact, Bayer makes a colorimetric machine to read urine dipsticks.

Shabo

Forum Probie
We were taught that CSF has 1/2 the GL of blood.

So do your BGL get 100 if the fluid from the ear is has GL of ~50 +CSF

Jinkx

Forum Probie
Interesting point but why would you do a Dstick on CSF?