BLS Recruiting

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
Does any body here have any experiences with recruiting tactics that worked successfully in regards to finding motivated candidates, particularly in a volunteer BLS organization?

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, what my partner and I did for our business was we made a promo video. It involved us doing a few mock calls, a trauma, medical, and a CPR/Defib. After we made that we advertised if anyone wanted to make a difference in their city and all that jazz then when we had enough people, we had an orientation, showed them the video, answered questions, showed them our gear, did a trauma full package for them (a lot of people were fairly new with their tickets, and some hadn't yet gotten one). All this seemed to help. We then asked for resumes as we have a 4 step hiring process. We got in a lot of resumes. So I think what we did helped quite a bit.
Good luck, and if you need some more info or whatever you can PM me, or just post back here.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Its becoming an issue nationwide in all volunteer agencies. People have less time, are more career focused, less likely to put volunteerism high on their list. Also, as money gets tight, doing stuff for free gets less fun.

We are currently looking at a recruitment program. First identify who your pool of potential candiates are. Then try to assess what would make your agency attractive to those candidates. For example: in our area, most residents work 40 hours a week about a half hour away. There are few volunteers present in our district during the day, during the week. So, our market of potential volunteers is stay at home parents of school aged children. We are setting up a series of first aid classed targeted at those parents. It brings them into the fire station in a social atmosphere, makes the station a place they are familiar with. Also, being a group event they don't have to deal with the trepidation of walking into a situation alone and facing all those new people and new rules etc. Our hope is that through that, the station becomes less intimidating, the volunteers become friends and the new friends become volunteers.

We are also exploring social events like a Fireman's Ball. We've done ice cream socials, spaghetti feeds, car washes etc. Anything to get people in the door.

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
I think a good way of recruiting is getting out to the public. Talk to the schools. See if they will let you bring a few units to the high schools during lunch or after school ends. Go places. Let it be know that you are a volunteer organization.

Riding on a volunteer apparatus which has volunteer written on the side I always have people ask about money we make. I reply that I'm a volunteer and they are amazed. The public just doesn't know. If you educate them, you in turn get people interested.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
unfortunately, since you're talking about a volley position, the only thing you can do is increase the public knowledge about the existence of the organization. you dont have a lot to offer. sure, free con ed and what not and the chance to help your fellow man. but you cant pay me. you cant compensate me for equipment or fuel etc. there arent a whole lot of benefits in this economy to give away something i can sell.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
My corp is full to the brim this year. We had more HIT's (the first step in our program, see bottom ) then the corps knew what to do with. Many of our shifts have two HIT's a driver, an attendant, and either a Driver In Training or an Attendant in Training. I cleared helper already, and when I come back next semester I'll be AIT, as long as I pass my basic class.

HIT- where you learn how to be the attendent's slave. We teach vitals, basic transport with the stretcher and stairchair, how to start the o2, and doing all the paperwork, etc.

All we do is post posters around school, and tell our friends about the ambulance. Everyone already knows about us anyway because we take care of the drunks. Every week or so you here "So-and-so had to be SAVAC'd last night....:rolleyes:"

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
I want one of those so badly. How do I order one?

Well, you have to find people that aren't EMT's yet, and get them involved, teach them some basics. Our corp loves to grab EMT-B students, like myself, because A: we want to learn, and B: because we how to do things from class, so you don't have to waste time explaining.

Seriously, as an HIT I went on a couple of good calls, learned some things and implemented some things from class. Now that I've cleared helper, I'm hoping some other HIT's clear. As of right now if I'm on the same shift as an HIT, they are supposed to do the work so they clear, which means I only get to watch...

Actually, when you have a five man shift, it's a little disappointing...

We're waiting for some people to drop out. In the meantime were adding a day shift to our schedule. We previously serviced campus from 1900-2300/2300-0800. This is when a majority of calls go through. Of course our chief, attendents, and drivers, all have pagers and are encouraged to jump calls, as long as they won't miss class. Now were adding 1700-1900, in order to thin out the rest of the shifts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hastings

Noobie
Well, you have to find people that aren't EMT's yet, and get them involved, teach them some basics. Our corp loves to grab EMT-B students, like myself, because A: we want to learn, and B: because we how to do things from class, so you don't have to waste time explaining.

Seriously, as an HIT I went on a couple of good calls, learned some things and implemented some things from class. Now that I've cleared helper, I'm hoping some other HIT's clear. As of right now if I'm on the same shift as an HIT, they are supposed to do the work so they clear, which means I only get to watch...

Actually, when you have a five man shift, there it's a little disappointing...

We're waiting for some people to drop out. In the meantime were adding a day shift to our schedule. We previously serviced campus from 7-11/11-8AM. This is when a majority of calls go through. Of course our chief, attendents, and drivers, all have pagers and are encouraged to jump calls, as long as they won't miss class. Now were adding 5PM-7PM, in order to thin out the rest of the shifts.

It's really unfortunate HITs aren't at all realistic, because I'd kill for someone to do my paperwork for me. We have to settle for interns up here to do the HIT thing.

...I missed it. What does HIT stand for? And why is there a level below Basic that isn't MFR?

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
It's not a state thing. It's a SAVAC thing.

Here's a better run down:

Our Corp has three levels of training:
#1: Helper - Helps with vitals, paperwork, patient transport, preparing O2, etc.
#2: Driver - A helper who drives the ambulance.
#3: Attendant - An EMT Basic who runs the rig when it is in service.

If you are training to achieve a level, then you are that level in training.
Helper in Training (HIT)
Driver in Training (DIT)
Attendant in Training (AIT) - Must have EMT Basic before becoming an AIT

Everyone in the corp must do the FEMA online classes (IS-100 and IS-700) and EMTs must do IS-200 as well.

Everyone in the corp must go to drill a minimum of 4 times a semester, and drill is held every Sunday. We train basic skills at drill, so people can be prepared for class. Examples of drills would be backboarding, lake-shore drill (our campus is on lake ontario), splint training, cpr certification, etc.

Anyway, the point is Helpers (and Helpers in Training) are an important part of our corp because the rank allows them to become familiar with the workings of our corp, supplement your EMT class (if you're in one), and make sure the Attendants always have another set of hands, because you never know when you'll need them.

An example call (totally pulled this out of no-where):
Dispatched to a hand slammed in door in residence hall x. The attendant and two helpers enter the building. The attendant gets someone to point the way to room x, while helper one grabs the gear bag, and the other unloads the stretcher. All three go to the patient location, and the Attendant begins questioning the patient. Helper One takes vitals, while helper gets out supplies. The Attendant fills out his pcr as he questions, then stabilizes the hand. The helpers go in the hall and lower the stretcher and wait for the patient. Patient is loaded and moved down to the ambulance. Helper 1 holds the doors while helper two and the Attendant move the patient outside. Helper 2 then opens the door to the ambulance, gets in, and assists in getting the stretcher into the rig. On route to the hospital, a helper takes another set of vitals, and the attendant ask a few last questions, then, at the hospital the Helpers get the patient out of the ambulance, and a helper and the attendant get the patient in the hospital. The Attendant deals with the hospital while the helpers decontaminate the stretcher, replace the linens, and get the stretcher back into the ambulance. Everyone goes back to base.

As you can see, helpers are helpful?

My attendant loves having two emt students with him. We are always trying to stay one step ahead, and when things go nice and quick, the patient is to the hospital quicker.

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Were A BLS Rig... So we don't need them, but we do have a few paramedics who are associate members (alumni, townies, etc.)

If there is an ALS call on campus we act as first responders and the city is the ALS rig. We basically take care of BLS stuff so the city doesn't have to come out to campus all the time. Trust me, the less drunks they have to take care of, the happier they are.

Plus for a college student, A City call costs money, a SAVAC call is free.
Trust me, when you're in college, you do not have the money to pay for an ambulance ride if you hurt yourself at a sports event or whatever.

But yeah, most attendants have their EMT Basic, and we do a fine job at what we do.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, but if you get transported by the city, you get professional ALS level providers, not one EMT and 4 non certifed people. I think you will find that clientele that are educated on that fact would pull out their wallets in a heartbeat. I know I would.

O.k. the driver part I can understand, but an helper, then a helper's helper, then a helper's helper in training?!?!?!?!?!? They have no business on an ambulance. If you truly need an extra set of hands, get the fire department for the manpower issues and another EMT for the medical issues. Let the students go to school, not play on the ambulance. They will get their time when they do clinicals....................

OP, unfortunately you are experiencing the shift in society that has been slow in coming. Bottom line is if you want professionals, you will probably have to pay them. More medics are wising up and realizing that their knowledge and expertise can come with a price. Hopefully it will happen more throughout the nation and we can finally move forward as a profession instead of a side line hobby..............................

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Flight, I think your missing a few points...

#1. There are no helpers helpers or helper helpers in training.
#2. There is a maximum of 2 helpers/HIT's per shift.
#3. What does the average ambulance ride cost? $500? That's more then I have in my bank account right now:rolleyes:... I'll take a free ride by fully trained and experienced EMT Basic then an expensive ride by trained paramedics any day, as long as I don't need ALS.
#4. Helpers have a place in the ambulance... My fellow Helper and I have helped my EMT a ton so far. He's grateful that were there, and tells us that after every call we've made a smooth operation. And I'm sure our patients were happy that everything went quick and easy. Plus once were through Basic, think of the experience we'll already have. Won't that make us better EMT's?

So flight, if I need a paramedic, I'll get one, but if I don't need one, that's money I'm not spending. And if I'm a patient, and I want to be taken care of fast and efficient, I'm not going to mind that the EMT has 2 assistants to delegate too.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Pennsylvania came out with:
http://www.rollwithit.com/

a few years back. I'm not sure it's helped. It seems kinda stupid.

Ah, I remember that piece of trash. "No doctors, no hospital..." Strange, why does that look like a hospital hallway that the patient is being wheeled down?

JPINFV

Gadfly

#3. What does the average ambulance ride cost? $500? That's more then I have in my bank account right now:rolleyes:... I'll take a free ride by fully trained and experienced EMT Basic then an expensive ride by trained paramedics any day, as long as I don't need ALS.
#4. Helpers have a place in the ambulance... My fellow Helper and I have helped my EMT a ton so far. He's grateful that were there, and tells us that after every call we've made a smooth operation. And I'm sure our patients were happy that everything went quick and easy. Plus once were through Basic, think of the experience we'll already have. Won't that make us better EMT's?

So flight, if I need a paramedic, I'll get one, but if I don't need one, that's money I'm not spending. And if I'm a patient, and I want to be taken care of fast and efficient, I'm not going to mind that the EMT has 2 assistants to delegate too.

/me wonders how he survived working for two years with just him and another EMT-B (mileage varied with quality though) and no help in the back.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief

Um, $500 is our base rate, before milage, for a dual EMT rig. That is, if all we do is give you a ride...

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

What does he have that needs delegating? First off, a non certified person shouldn't be touching any patient. Second, if the EMT needs additional help, then two uncertified cronies are of zero value. I don't know what mystic world your EMS program is from, but in the world of reality, EMS is a professional entity that demands the presence of educated and skilled providers. Again, students need to be in school learning, not holding some lazy EMT's hand doing tasks that should be done by the certified provider.