Blog Roll?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey gang,

I read a LOT of EMS and EMS-related blogs. And I keep finding good ones.

Is anyone interested in a "EMTLife Member Blogroll" - where all our forum members are able to post links to their blogs?

Anyone have any negative thoughts?

Jon

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Don't get it, but my blog is quiescent. Too busy on EMTLIFE and real world.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I don't have a blog but I don't see a problem with it. If a member doesn't want their blog up then they just don't have to post a link.

homingmissile

Forum Crew Member
Are you a wizard?

Just yesterday I was Searching around the forum for ems blogs ppl might have around here.

Count me interested.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I started a blog a while ago, but it has zero audience. I think I'd like to share it to get some feedback on my writing style and see what people think about the junk that pops into me head. This seems like a good forum for sharing, so I'll throw it out there: www.theruralemt.com

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
I started a blog a while ago, but it has zero audience. I think I'd like to share it to get some feedback on my writing style and see what people think about the junk that pops into me head. This seems like a good forum for sharing, so I'll throw it out there: www.theruralemt.com

I gave it a read, saved in favorites. Im in Norcal also

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I can do EMTlife or a blog, don't have time for both, your call.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I gave it a read, saved in favorites. Im in Norcal also

What are your thoughts? I started writing it as a way to vent and also save some of my experiences so that I'd remember them later. It'd be nice to get some feedback from other people in the same line of work.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Still waiting to decide. Anonymous I hope. I would not even let a close friend coworker know if I wrote a blog like this. Nobody ever stays anonymous forever and a blog like that would be questionable to an employer......... But like I said I'll follow it for a while and see where it takes you

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Definitely anonymous, and I wouldn't want anyone I work with to read it. While I'm not perfect, the blog definitely gives voice to a lot of my frustrations and cynicism that internalize. I'm generally a pretty nice guy lol.

kindofafireguy

Forum Crew Member
I have one. I don't post to it as often as I'd like (married with three kids, plus work, and my wife is finishing a Ph.D.). It has a very, very modest readership (i.e. my wife and one other person). I've gotten a few views from google thanks to a cleverly named posting, and I comment on a lot of blogs, so that helps too.

It's completely anonymous beyond the fact that I'm a professional FF/EMT in Texas. I don't want or need drama with anyone, whether I work with them or not. My own parents don't even know about it. My wife does, but mostly because it was her idea.

Check it out if you want. It ain't great, but it'll help on those nights when you need some sleep and can't seem to get there.

kindofafireguy.wordpress.com

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Check it out if you want. It ain't great, but it'll help on those nights when you need some sleep and can't seem to get there.

kindofafireguy.wordpress.com

Really liked your memento mori post!

"That’s not to say that I’ve lost my compassion. Far from it. If anything, the calls that haunt me the most aren’t the bloody traumas or massive AMI’s. No, for me, it’s the wife hugging her son in the corner, crying into his shoulder as we pump on the cracking chest of her husband of 50 years. It’s the tears in the crystal blue eyes of a 50 year old man as we tell him not to be scared while we hand squeeze saline bags to try and force fluid into him and to force his pressure above 70. It’s his quiet whisper of “I’m not scared,” while the monitor shows a massive heart attack that has pushed him into cardiogenic shock, and that will ultimately take his life in the next two hours."

This is, and I say this with all honesty, shades of Mr. Ernest Hemingway, brother!

Sako887

Forum Probie
Really liked your memento mori post!

"That’s not to say that I’ve lost my compassion. Far from it. If anything, the calls that haunt me the most aren’t the bloody traumas or massive AMI’s. No, for me, it’s the wife hugging her son in the corner, crying into his shoulder as we pump on the cracking chest of her husband of 50 years. It’s the tears in the crystal blue eyes of a 50 year old man as we tell him not to be scared while we hand squeeze saline bags to try and force fluid into him and to force his pressure above 70. It’s his quiet whisper of “I’m not scared,” while the monitor shows a massive heart attack that has pushed him into cardiogenic shock, and that will ultimately take his life in the next two hours."

This is, and I say this with all honesty, shades of Mr. Ernest Hemingway, brother!

^ I second this statement, nicely done

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Blogging as a writer's discipline

My EMSoutsideagitator blog has been more about a personal exploration of themes in EMS rather than a vehicle to gain readership or sell my book.

I don't even check my "stats" for fear of getting depressed! At times I go at it with other EMS bloggers and that is a lot of fun. But for the most part, I break all the rules; my blogs run about 1,500 words each, I don't post regularly, will post on weekends (the least read time), and don't do much whiz-bang illustration.

So after about two years I have a body of work out there that is available for anyone who wants to expand their own exploration of their relationship with EMS in particular, medicine in general (trends) and what it means to be a healer in today's world.

Veneficus asked me if it would be better for him to blog or put time in here and I responded if you want interaction, HERE is the place to be. If you want to issue words into the void (where someone years from now might derive benefit), then blogging is the way to go.

What I often do is find a subject here that interests me, usually let it develop for a while and then examine it through my EMS eyes on the EMS blog. Then, I take that subject and what I learned and apply it to medicine as a whole and put it on my book site's blog (the outsideagitator) -- gearing it toward a broader Allopathic medicine audience -- and THEN I adapt that piece for anyone involved in the healing arts and add it to my works on ezinearticles.com which distributes my writings for re-print on the web.

I see blogging as an especially powerful tool for any of you who really wish to do serious writing about your experiences in EMS. Most importantly, when used as a discipline it will help you become a much better writer.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Found a blog that I enjoyed a lot. I recommend it as it has given me a few smiles and a few belly laughs. Burnedoutmedic.com

Joe

Forum Captain
http://rick3rescue.wordpress.com/
New to this blog thing but would appreciate the support. Iys always cool to see the world in a different county haha

***ADULT LANGUAGE WITHIN***

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Still waiting to decide. Anonymous I hope. I would not even let a close friend coworker know if I wrote a blog like this. Nobody ever stays anonymous forever and a blog like that would be questionable to an employer......... But like I said I'll follow it for a while and see where it takes you
I didn't even try to be anonymous for a variety of reasons. First off, if it's something that I need to be concerned about anonymity then it probably shouldn't be posted for public consumption. Second, it gives me better control over what Google points to if you look up my name. Well, that and a local politician in Michigan (I'm not him...).

I blog because I want it to be something more permanent, especially since a lot of it are more educational type things. I've got a video of respiratory dynamics that I made up on it and I have a several post series on SOAP note style documentation (Pre-SOAPeD) system that I designed based off of how I learned to write SOAP notes in medical school.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't even try to be anonymous for a variety of reasons. First off, if it's something that I need to be concerned about anonymity then it probably shouldn't be posted for public consumption. Second, it gives me better control over what Google points to if you look up my name. Well, that and a local politician in Michigan (I'm not him...).

I blog because I want it to be something more permanent, especially since a lot of it are more educational type things. I've got a video of respiratory dynamics that I made up on it and I have a several post series on SOAP note style documentation (Pre-SOAPeD) system that I designed based off of how I learned to write SOAP notes in medical school.

No i enjoy your blog JP. That comment was not directed at you or the content of your blog. That was directed at the OP

JPINFV

Gadfly
No i enjoy your blog JP. That comment was not directed at you or the content of your blog. That was directed at the OP

I know... I was just adding my view on attempting to go anonymous or not and why I choose not to from the very beginning.