Bike/Bicycle Paramedic Team equipment advice

janemcd

Forum Probie
Hi all,
My service has just begun a Bicycle Response Team (BRT). We are fine tuning our equipment and I am after some advice - What lights & sirens do other services use? What about panniers? Any photos and web links would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have seen a fair number of bike teams for PD and EMS and have never heard nor seen any of them have a siren. Usually they just have a very standard flashing light on the front and back of the bike.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
IPMBA has all kinds of resources for EMS bike medics. I also highly suggest the IPMBA EMS bike course. Just putting medics on bikes without real training isn’t a great idea.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
go big or go home
3667123060_6a9e9f99be_z.jpg

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
OP
OP
J

janemcd

Forum Probie
I have seen a fair number of bike teams for PD and EMS and have never heard nor seen any of them have a siren. Usually they just have a very standard flashing light on the front and back of the bike.
Interesting, thanks - is that in the USA?... We have been in operation in Australia since November 2017 and have found that responding to lights & sirens jobs a siren/horn would be really effective. We go through red lights occasionally if safe but even still something more than a 'bring-bring' bell would be far safer. Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
J

janemcd

Forum Probie
IPMBA has all kinds of resources for EMS bike medics. I also highly suggest the IPMBA EMS bike course. Just putting medics on bikes without real training isn’t a great idea.
I would love to do the course however I am in Australia. Our training was done with the Police Service whose instructors had completed the course.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Interesting, thanks - is that in the USA?... We have been in operation in Australia since November 2017 and have found that responding to lights & sirens jobs a siren/horn would be really effective. We go through red lights occasionally if safe but even still something more than a 'bring-bring' bell would be far safer. Thanks for your reply.
We are only using bike teams at major events so they are not having to cross red lights unless that intersection is inside the event venue. I would never want to clear an intersection with moving traffic on a pedal bike.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Why are are you going through red lights on a bicycle? Wouldn't it be faster (and safer for all involved) to pass through those red lights in an ambulance?

If I'm on bicycle, I'm looking to be going off road, on grass, or during closed off roadways during a major event: in any case, I either shouldn't see any red lights nor need to worry about having lights to go through them.

Mitchyboy1993

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,
My service has just begun a Bicycle Response Team (BRT). We are fine tuning our equipment and I am after some advice - What lights & sirens do other services use? What about panniers? Any photos and web links would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

Hi mate would be happy to talk about AV BRU set up if you like
Regards
Mitch

Summit

Critical Crazy
a siren/horn would be really effective. We go through red lights occasionally if safe but even still something more than a 'bring-bring' bell would be far safer. Thanks for your reply.
Maybe just stand on the pedals and yell "Wooo wooo wooo wooo!" really loudly...