Beware of S NH courses!!!

LeDD

Forum Probie
I'm about halfway through an EMT-B course in southern New Hampshire and I honestly didn't think it was going too bad.. But today I took the Airway Practical for class and my instructor gave me a 38% for "missing every critical step" and the side notes for each "mistake" outline that she literally just wasn't paying attention. What a ridiculous outcome, I'm livid, and this is sloppy. I thought this place was alright but I guess I was wrong again, shame.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Ummm, there's a lot to go over in that. Have you spoken with the instructor about the reviewer that proctored you?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm about halfway through an EMT-B course in southern New Hampshire and I honestly didn't think it was going too bad.. But today I took the Airway Practical for class and my instructor gave me a 38% for "missing every critical step" and the side notes for each "mistake" outline that she literally just wasn't paying attention. What a ridiculous outcome, I'm livid, and this is sloppy. I thought this place was alright but I guess I was wrong again, shame.
Could you have made any mistakes during your practical?

FiremanMike

Just a dude
1. What mistakes did she document that you admit you made?

2. What mistakes did she document that you think she missed because she wasn’t paying attention?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The airway practical is a very algorithmic stepwise skill. There’s no room for for free-styling or not following the sheet exactly.

I see many students fail this skill assessment because they fail to do several things. Failure to assess breathing and pulse initially. Failing to open the airway the second time. Taking more than 30 seconds from suctioning to placing an adjunct and beginning ventilation. Failing to set the oxygen flow rate at 15 L per minute. Failure to check the pulse for a second time. Ventilation too fast or too slow or can’t verbalize that the patient has adequate chest rise .

The only time you ever fail that station is if you fail to memorize the steps on the psychomotor skill sheet. Verbalization is your friend. Say what you’re doing, as you do it.

Contrary to popular belief, evaluators are not there to fail candidates. They are there to attest to your baseline competency. Which you obviously do not yet possess.