Bad day at Bowers?

CURMUDGEON

Forum Probie
Sounds like there were many field level cuts today. Anybody have a count and where? Did the cuts hit Pacific too?

OP
OP
CURMUDGEON

CURMUDGEON

Forum Probie
Ouch.... tough time in the market for such a large volume of job searchers. It should be interesting to watch Rural Metro's strategies while they continue to lose contracts/market share. More cuts sure to come.

dhump4free

Forum Crew Member
If you survived The Great Rural/Metro Purge of 2013 you were lucky. They got rid of a lot of people, even employees who had been there for 10+ years.

Last edited by a moderator:

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
can anyone verify that so many layoff's took place? I feel for the employees and their families so close to the holiday seasons.

OP
OP
CURMUDGEON

CURMUDGEON

Forum Probie
More importantly, who's hiring EMT's in the LA/OC areas? The faster these folks can be picked up, the better.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
craigslist has a bunch of EMT ads up, including Care ambulance (orange County) i think craigslist has become a decent job recruiter lol

dhump4free

Forum Crew Member
Most of my buddies who got layed off drove over to Liberty (which is now being run by Paul Scarborough, ex Bowers/Pacifc grand master) and applied. The ones I feel bad for are the all of the management who got laid off.

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
If they apply to Liberty might as well apply at PRN. How's is Liberty now I seen a few new rigs running with no company wrap on them. They are just all white with liberty on the doors.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
liberty is having struggles with maintain their service with the providence system, providence is seeking a secondary provider. If you know anyone of them going to liberty, i would advise them to also apply at another company just in case they end up downsizing later.

**so i heard**

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Most of my buddies who got layed off drove over to Liberty (which is now being run by Paul Scarborough, ex Bowers/Pacifc grand master) and applied. The ones I feel bad for are the all of the management who got laid off.

Paul is a good guy, I've met him a few times and he know's what he's doing they basically built Pacific up from a single ambulance dispatching themselves out of an apartment into what they are now, well before he sold and it went to hell.

OP
OP
CURMUDGEON

CURMUDGEON

Forum Probie
The word from Rural Metro CEO, Scott Bartos:

"Additionally, as part of our revitalization effort, we have exited several unprofitable contracts in the greater Los Angeles market, which will result in further downsizing of approximately 90 positions. We've also made great progress in our financial restructuring, which we expect will reduce our debt and interest expenses by half, and have identified and are implementing significant operational initiatives that will save millions of dollars, all of which will position Rural/Metro for future success. Our team has not missed a beat and has done a terrific job focusing on the delivery of outstanding service and patient care while we reorganize our company. We are moving through this process quickly and successfully, and will emerge as a stronger and more profitable organization."

dhump4free

Forum Crew Member
Paul is a good guy, I've met him a few times and he know's what he's doing they basically built Pacific up from a single ambulance dispatching themselves out of an apartment into what they are now, well before he sold and it went to hell.

I've never met him and while I have heard mixed things, I don't know many people who have good things to say about him. Most of the contracts that he left P/B with didnt make money, and now the Super Corporation is realizing what they bought isn't quite as profitable as it was advertised.

I'm assuming they are keeping Kaiser, so what contracts are they dumping?

OP
OP
CURMUDGEON

CURMUDGEON

Forum Probie
I've never met him and while I have heard mixed things, I don't know many people who have good things to say about him. Most of the contracts that he left P/B with didnt make money, and now the Super Corporation is realizing what they bought isn't quite as profitable as it was advertised.

Shame on R/M for not doing the math on each contract before they bought the companies. If they can't shed the Kaiser contract, or at least renegotiate it, their troubles are sure to continue.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

That's not his fault as long as he showed the numbers without padding them excessively. It's business. When selling, you always value your business at much more than it is worth so you don't lose on the counter offer. R/M should have researched it better.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
That's not his fault as long as he showed the numbers without padding them excessively. It's business. When selling, you always value your business at much more than it is worth so you don't lose on the counter offer. R/M should have researched it better.

No doubt there was monkey math involved which usually takes place in retail audits no real experience of it in ems that I've seen in person.
P/B will probably be ok now that rm has full control of the situation. Its just going to mean a lot of work but most importantly profit. Shows on his public profile that he was at lifeline for a short period of time. What happend there?......

dhump4free

Forum Crew Member

Realistically, there should be no padding but I think we all understand how the real world looks. However, The Super Corporation should have done a little more digging. It does seem like they are going to be ok after all of this and they are making the right decisions for the company.

No doubt there was monkey math involved which usually takes place in retail audits no real experience of it in ems that I've seen in person.
P/B will probably be ok now that rm has full control of the situation. Its just going to mean a lot of work but most importantly profit. Shows on his public profile that he was at lifeline for a short period of time. What happend there?......

Rumor was he was asked to leave but who knows, LL wasn't the most upstanding of companies in the past.