Bachelors of Applied Science in Paramedicine. Is it worth it?

Is it worth it to get a paramedic degree than just a certification?

• Total voters

Logan Bounds

Forum Ride Along
So I am currently taking my prerequisites at Brigham Young University Idaho for the B.S. in Paramedicine. I am a Certified EMT and will be a Certified Firefighter 1 in a month. I am trying to weigh out my options here. I can continue on with the program and finish in 2 years and become an EMT-P or I can get a job as a Firefighter and then go through EMT-P training. I guess my real question is, does it really matter what route I take? Are there any benefits to doing either of them? I have a small family and money is rough and I just want to work already so I can start the process of making money and living my life doing what I love. I am just stuck on how I should accomplish that. Is the stress and suffering really worth it to get this degree or should I pursue becoming a firefighter and then an EMT-P?

Thanks in advance,

Logan

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Is there any benefit to the degree over just the cert from a practical stand point on the job (extra pay, ect.)? If not, I would recommend going through a cert program and once your out doing the job then go back and get the degree or continue your education any way you want.

OP
OP
Logan Bounds

Logan Bounds

Forum Ride Along
Is there any benefit to the degree over just the cert from a practical stand point on the job (extra pay, ect.)? If not, I would recommend going through a cert program and once your out doing the job then go back and get the degree or continue your education any way you want.
I believe to begin with, no there isn't. But I'm not 100% I do know that if you want to hike the chain of command in firefighting like becoming a captain/lieutenant they want a degree. But that's all I know.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Well since your area will have different standards and requirements than other people's areas, I would recommend looking into that. While education for its own sake is great, if your primary concern is getting the job then get the certificate and once your in your field go back and tailor your education to what you want to do next.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
I agree that long term the degree is better but if you have a family to support I would say to get th pay rolling in first and then focus on your degree.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
An example of what I'm referring to is that I went through a certificate program when there weren't any degree programs in my area. And while I am working on a BS separately in case I have a career ending injury, I like working on the ambulance in a 911 system so my time is actually better spent on self education for knowledge that is pertinent to performing my job better.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
An example of what I'm referring to is that I went through a certificate program when there weren't any degree programs in my area. And while I am working on a BS separately in case I have a career ending injury, I like working on the ambulance in a 911 system so my time is actually better spent on self education for knowledge that is pertinent to performing my job better.
If I understand you correctly I agree. A degree in a different field is a better option. But if there are only 2 years left for a degree and to be an EMT-P the same amount a P cert takes anyways, it makes you more hirable to have both to begin with, and gives you promotional options earlier. And you can always continue college education later as well in other fields. Injury is the outliar in needing a different degree sooner

MS Medic

Forum Captain
I'm referring to both actually. I sated in an earlier post to check how things work in his area. If you can't complete a cert program and then go back and finish the paramedic degree later then my advice is bad based on my ignorance of how the local education system works. But if you can get the cert and go back and finish the BS, then in my opinion it's better to do that. You have the immediate capability of working in the feild where a degree is not a prerequisite. Also considering the high turn over rate of people in this field, time and money aren't spent on a degree that isn't useful to you in a few years if you decide to change careers.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Also a new medic who has little feild experience usually isn't going into a management position. So by getting the certificate and finishing the BS while your working, you kill two birds with one stone.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
Also a new medic who has little feild experience usually isn't going into a management position. So by getting the certificate and finishing the BS while your working, you kill two birds with one stone.

You might recieve tution help from your company to advance your education.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
That is a possibility. This is another good reason to look into the specifics of his situation and why ignorance might make my advice bad.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Any possibility of getting an associates degree? I feel like getting an associates in paramedic is a great idea, bachelor degree less so. I think a bachelors in biology, business, finance, whatever, would be a lot more valuable than a BS in paramedicine, if you eventually want to go on to nursing/MD/PA school, move into management at a private company, leave healthcare altogether and do something else, etc.

I'm not sure if fire departments like to see EMS-focused degrees or if it really matters to them.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Over the course of your career it will likely/hopefully be beneficial to have the degree.

Whether or not the degree actually adds anything to your practise of medicine, performance in EMS or role within your organization is very dependant on where you get that piece of paper. It's unfortunately not uncommon for higher degrees to be made available to people without bringing in content that is beneficial; essentially the degree is the only goal, not learning more and becoming a better, more well rounded provider.

Take a look at what classes are required, and think about how they would benefit you, not just as a line paramedic, but in each position within your department.

OP
OP
Logan Bounds

Logan Bounds

Forum Ride Along
Any possibility of getting an associates degree? I feel like getting an associates in paramedic is a great idea, bachelor degree less so. I think a bachelors in biology, business, finance, whatever, would be a lot more valuable than a BS in paramedicine, if you eventually want to go on to nursing/MD/PA school, move into management at a private company, leave healthcare altogether and do something else, etc.

I'm not sure if fire departments like to see EMS-focused degrees or if it really matters to them.
I already have the equivalent of the associates in paramedicine but all that lands me is an EMT cert with some anatomy and physiology under my belt. So in this case to become an EMT-P I would need to get the bachelors.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
If you can do it financially, yes, go get that degree. Do it before you start working, do it while working, but yes, go get that degree. You may love EMS, work 25-30 years, work your way up through the ranks, a run a division, department, whatever.

Or you may work five years, fall down some stairs, someone may slam into your ambulance, or something else and take you off of the streets. Then what are you going to do? You have an education and the paper to prove it. You can go work a desk job, or switch industries entirely and be able to take your experiences and education with you.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Lots of good info here, and everyone will have a different approach so take mine with a grain of salt. FIRST what I would do is ask myself what the job market for a firefighter position is where you live, and what are the minimal requirements. If there are multiple departments, all actively hiring, and the requirements are on the lower end, then attempting to get hired and starting work right away with the plan to continue on with your education immediately after hire might not be bad. I agree with one of the previous posts in also looking into the possible departments and checking to see if they offer tuition reimbursement. Why pay for school when someone else will, provided you get hired right away.

Being a Paramedic will ALWAYS make you a more attractive candidate for ANY department, as will having a degree, so if there is a way you can get your Paramedic via an associates program, and there are many community college associates programs out there, then I would initially go that route.

As far as the Bachelors degree goes I believe in this day and age everyone should have one. (I do not, but need to get my *** in gear) I think you should first evaluate your goals, and maybe give us some more info before we provide you with that guidance. In this line of work you absolutely need something to fall back on, however depending on your goals might change the advice I would give you.

If you only wanted to be a firefighter/paramedic for a fire department and eventually promote I would most likely direct you towards a management degree, as you will be managing people, stations, maybe later in your career budgets etc. If you wanted a career on the EMS side then the BS in Paramedicine would likely be ok. If you have desire to progress into nursing or flight, or an advance practice route such as PA school or CRNA a BS in Paramedicine would likely be a waste of time that could be spent elsewhere in your educational offerings.

I just precepted someone at my work who actually took a round about way of achieving his goal, however he's young and kicked ***, will be a DNP/CRNA by the time he is 30. He went into a BS Paramedicine program, graduated top of his class and started working as medic. As soon as he graduated enrolled in an accelerated BSN for provider's with an existing BS, and finished his BSN in a year. Took a job as an RN in a muli-trauma ICU, two year's later got a job with us flying regular part time (one shift a week), and just applied to and got accepted to CRNA school.

Moral of the story is there are tons of options, and depending on your level of motivation and goals you can accomplish alot quickly. I WILL tell you I was just like you. Wanted to only work for the fire department and just hammer out Paramedic school. I got my associate's and stopped. Now 11 years later I wish I would have gone the bachelors route. It's hard to jump back into school as an adult learner when you have adult responsibilities, financial ones, and alot of you pre-reqs are expired for anything health field related. So if you can do the BS now, I say go for it. It will never be something you regret/will eventually put you ahead of your colleagues. Good luck!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So I am currently taking my prerequisites at Brigham Young University Idaho for the B.S. in Paramedicine. I am a Certified EMT and will be a Certified Firefighter 1 in a month. I am trying to weigh out my options here. I can continue on with the program and finish in 2 years and become an EMT-P or I can get a job as a Firefighter and then go through EMT-P training. I guess my real question is, does it really matter what route I take? Are there any benefits to doing either of them? I have a small family and money is rough and I just want to work already so I can start the process of making money and living my life doing what I love. I am just stuck on how I should accomplish that. Is the stress and suffering really worth it to get this degree or should I pursue becoming a firefighter and then an EMT-P?

Thanks in advance,

Logan

Then I would take the job, but also keep working towards your education.

terrible one

Always wandering
I have my BS in emergency medical care and my firefighter I. When I interview for firefighter jobs it makes for a good talking point. Also, some departments offer an increase in pay for having a degree. Other than that having a degree does not offer much for entry level fire jobs. It will help down the road with promotions though.