Artherosclerosis vs Arteriosclerosis

Fire3456

Forum Crew Member
I came across a couple test questions that asked about what defines each. I get conflicting answers. (well conflicting from what I thought I knew)

Here's the latest question I came across...

Atherosclerosis causes which of the following:

2 of the answers were totally obviously wrong.
The 3rd answer was "Arteries to thicken"
The 4th answer was "none of the above"

Since I always knew of Arteriosclerosis to be thickening, hardening, and loss of elasticity of the arterial walls ...I put "None of the Above"

Atherosclerosis I always knew to be deposit of plaque containing cholesterol.

Yes that will reduce the diameter..but technically not thicken the walls.

Is it me? Have I had the wrong idea all this time? Or is this question wrong?

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Since I always knew of Arteriosclerosis to be thickening, hardening, and loss of elasticity of the arterial walls ...I put "None of the Above"

Atherosclerosis I always knew to be deposit of plaque containing cholesterol.

Yes that will reduce the diameter..but technically not thicken the walls.

Is it me? Have I had the wrong idea all this time? Or is this question wrong?

"Atherosclerosis I always knew to be deposit of plaque containing cholesterol."

Reducing the diameter therefore thickening the walls in the eyes of the books. Although its not technically a thicker vessel, the inside diameter is decreased.

Easy way to remeber Arteriosclerosis as an ar at the beginning and makes them hard.

Atherosclerosis has a th and makes them thick.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Although its not technically a thicker vessel, the inside diameter is decreased.
Well, it's not really about technicalities. Two main points. First, atherosclerosis results from the build up of cellular debris, macrophages, and cholesterol inside the vessel wall and the production of a fibrous cap. The result is that the wall bulges outward. As long as outside of the vessel (tunica adventitia) stays the same, the vessel is thicker.

Second, atherosclerosis is a form of arteriosclerosis.