Arrogant people

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I really hate people that argue about things with me that they know nothing about. Here are just a few examples:

1. If a person is having a seizure, put something in their mouth or they will swallow their tongue.

2.(this was an odd one) I, as an EMT, cant use an AED because i have to be a special "electrician"

3. EVERYTHING that happens on House or General Hospital is real.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I really hate people that argue about things with me that they know nothing about. Here are just a few examples:

1. If a person is having a seizure, put something in their mouth or they will swallow their tongue.

2.(this was an odd one) I, as an EMT, cant use an AED because i have to be a special "electrician"

Based on my extensive medical knowledge that I picked up from watching Trauma, I would have to say that all of those are actually true...I don't know where you learned about emergency medicine :p

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
A lot of people think other people life > your life I noticed.

I learned everything from watching Trauma and ER. I watched some "Life in the ER" too, but decided that was fake.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Based on my extensive medical knowledge that I picked up from watching Trauma, I would have to say that all of those are actually true...I don't know where you learned about emergency medicine :p

i hope your kidding

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Are you suggesting that something seen on tv is not real?

Seeing is believing.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
i hope your kidding

Are you suggesting that something seen on tv is not real?

Seeing is believing.

some of the stuff is real, but not everything, like shocking every patient with a heart problem

I'm pretty sure its all real!!! I put pads on every patient to see if a shock is advised (I use one of those automatic defibrillators that are way better then the manually controllable ones!).

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Yea but the AED doesnt advise on aystole (flat line), but in shows they shock asystole

Haha, it was a joke my friend.

The majority of lay persons don't know a thing about medicine nor do they care. Its not their profession. Just as I don't care to know much about antiques or art history, for example. If someone honestly asks you a question answer it to the best of your ability, otherwise there's really no point in offering knowledge to people who aren't receptive.

Nowadays I don't even correct most of the misconceptions of people regarding EMS unless asked, the only exception being CPR form/procedure and how to properly access EMS.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
i guess but it just bothers me when people say they know more than me when they are completely wrong about some things. im not trying to act like i know everything about medicine (im only a basic lol) but some people just really get on my nerves.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
On a side note, every single one of these shows has Medical Personnel to advise them on real life treatments, protocols, etc.

The producers/directors/writers take this guidance into account when writing a show, but ultimately there needs to be drama and treatments are changed/exaggerated to this effect. Shocking a patient is more exciting for most people to watch then a vagal manuever. Take everything with a grain of salt, its not your job to correct all inaccuracies and injustices in the world, you sound stressed.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I put pads on every patient to see if a shock is advised (I use one of those automatic defibrillators that are way better then the manually controllable ones!).

I hope you also shake the leads while analyzing to make sure the information gets to the monitor quickly.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Havin' that fine fancy book learnin' is all well and good. But I've seen it work.

Also, it says so in my protocols so it's clearly the gospel truth.