Anyone work full time through Paramedic school?

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Has anyone worked full time while going through Paramedic school, or nearly full time? How did that work out for you?

I work 32 hours a week and I'm wondering if its realistic to keep that up for the entire time. So far its sucked horribly but its been manageable. I work in a hospital and I cant really do any studying at work(Im lucky if I have time to take any sort of lunch most shifts), so studying has to be done in the time between work and school and clinicals.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I did, both times lol. First time I was a night floor tech at a hospital working 3 12 hour shifts a week... it was harder than hell... My second try through I was working 1 36 hour shift a week, which was obviously easier, but when I picked up OT it made it rather hard.
You can do it, but it will suck... But there are a lot of us out there that have done it in the past.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Has anyone worked full time while going through Paramedic school, or nearly full time? How did that work out for you?

I work 32 hours a week and I'm wondering if its realistic to keep that up for the entire time. So far its sucked horribly but its been manageable. I work in a hospital and I cant really do any studying at work(Im lucky if I have time to take any sort of lunch most shifts), so studying has to be done in the time between work and school and clinicals.

I did my first year of medic school part time and the second full time all while working full time 2 days 2 nights 4 off. It was VERY stressful. I averaged 1-2 days off a month. I saved up vacation time and had a lot of OT banked that I used as time off. I also had a few coworkers that really helped me out and traded a few shifts with me. The year I went FT I had class and clinical 3-5 days a week for 8-16 hours a day. I was able to study and do a lot of work on my night shifts as it was much slower.

Time management is your friend. Your family and friends will wonder what happened to you. I really enjoyed it. I am glad I did it, but it was rough. If I hadn't had 3 years of university and all my pre reqs /co reqs done I don't think I would have done as well.

MissK

Forum Crew Member
I did. I worked 72+ hours a week, had class 3 days a week, and did clinicals as well. It's very possible, but you can say goodbye to your social life. The last few months of school I had maybe 1 or 2 days to myself. I wouldn't change a thing, though. Time management, motivation, and dedication will get you through it.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked full-time, taught part-time, and took a full-time load of university courses in addition to medic school. Granted my program was a traditional sit-down class that ran so many days a week, but things got a little busy from time to time. I put my university on hold during field-time though.

TL;DR: I am not normal

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup worked a ft 72 hr/wk job while in school

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I worked FT as a basic EMT for a 911 ambulance service while in medic school.

At one point there were weeks on end where because the way my work, class, and clinical schedule fell, I would wake up Sunday morning and not go to bed again until Thursday night. Naps here and there at the station and in the ambulance were all the sleep I got, and I studied in the ambulance between calls.

It sucked, but I was young and did just fine.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I worked full time while going to medic school. I was an EMT at a fire department and worked 24/48's, so I was able to study while at work.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Between school and work I was pulling 84+ hour work weeks usually all seven days but sometimes 6 days with one off. I wasn't sure I wanted to work in EMS anymore by the time I was done but your situation is different. I was on an ambulance 7 days a week for a long time.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
100% possible, its hard. And time management is the key. Get a daily planner for the year and keep track of everything so you can appropriately dictate time for work and school.

I was going full time and working full-time and doing all my clinical rotations as needed. it was 100 hour weeks for me so your social life is non exsistant. When I didn't take the last semester it felt like a break but all I did was avoid the ineveitable. I'm sure I'll be sick of looking at a ambulance by the time I'm done. But if its what you want you find a way to make it work. Studying in free time, sleeping some time

You just learn to "embrace the suck"

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
When I went to P-School, I mostly worked full-time. I also had some time for a social life. It all boiled down to ensuring that I had good time management for scheduling work, school, and family life. I typically went to school Mon-Wed and worked Thu-Sun. I worked between 36 and 48 hours every week. I did that for the better part of a year. Once my field time came up, I had to take time off to complete that because of one small problem: my preceptor worked a Kelly Schedule and my employer didn't use that system and couldn't adapt to the schedule on very short notice.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

I work ~40-60hrs a week at my day job and did paramedic school. Only a handful in my class were not in the same or similar boat (+/- kids too).

But, keep in mind I had no family and burned out a relationship doing it. So, take that with a grain of salt.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I'm finishing my BSN and minor in medical anthropology full time, and am in medic school simultaneously. I also tutor special needs children on the side.

Yes, you can do it. It might be hard. But....with good time management and a solid understanding of your limits you can do almost anything.

FiremanMike

Just a dude

I did it, but I was 19 and had no wife or kids. I was working 7-3 in an ER and part time at two fire departments while going.. Again, I was 19 and full of energy with no distractions.