Anyone from San Diego County

Zombie Killer

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I was wondering if there was anyone who works in San Diego County EMS. Specifically one who's been around for a while and knows the hiring criteria. My issue is I had a surgery back in Oct. 19'. I had an arthroscopy in my left shoulder due to OA. Honestly it was a pretty heavy blow. I've been trying to get in for some time. I had tried reaching out to 6 private ambulance companies via email. I've checked their FAQ's. Nothing yet. I was hoping that someone with a little bit of insider information could help. Would I be immediately disqualified due to doc's orders not to lift anything above 15lbs ? It's a bit of a tough pill to swallow. Any and all input will truly be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM, or post on this thread.

Thank you all in advance.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’m curious how you think you can work in EMS with a doctors order to not to lift anything heavier than 15 pounds?

OP
OP
Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer

Forum Probie
I’m curious how you think you can work in EMS with a doctors order to not to lift anything heavier than 15 pounds?
I guess I'm too stubborn to give up on it. I've been wanting to get into this field for some time. Losing out on it due to physical issues doesn't sit well. I'm only 38, and will have to have a half or full joint replacement in the not so distant future. I'm trying to find another job in the healthcare field with a BLS certification. Radiology is something that I have started to look into, but EMS is something that has always piqued my interest. I took the course eons ago, and just absolutely loved my ride a long portion.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Unfortunately, I am pretty sure you cannot work any EMS job, if it is unsafe for you to move more than 15 lbs. It is a tough pill to swallow, but true. Is this for life or just temporary? I mean it sounds like it has been 1-2 years. Can your doctor reevaluate to see if it is still an issue?

With a BLS cert, there probably won't be any job that it is required. It will be more supplemental if anything. I would definitely look at other healthcare jobs like phlebotomy or something that doesn't require you to lift.

Sorry. :[

OP
OP
Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer

Forum Probie
Unfortunately, I am pretty sure you cannot work any EMS job, if it is unsafe for you to move more than 15 lbs. It is a tough pill to swallow, but true. Is this for life or just temporary? I mean it sounds like it has been 1-2 years. Can your doctor reevaluate to see if it is still an issue?

With a BLS cert, there probably won't be any job that it is required. It will be more supplemental if anything. I would definitely look at other healthcare jobs like phlebotomy or something that doesn't require you to lift.

Sorry. :[
Thanks for your response Aprz. As far as the revaluation goes....The surgeon had broke the news to me late last month. Unfortunately this here will be permanent. I had the procedure done to remove the arthritis and bone spurs removed. Labrum was torn all to hell. He had some how reattached it to my humorous bone. Idk, it's just frustrating as all hell to be told no. Makes me want to try and push harder at it you know. I came here for solutions, and not comfort. Thank all you guys for the input that has been put forth.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Just curious, I had a SLAP and biceps tendon repair done I’m 2013 and was back to full duty in 3 months. How are you nearly 2 years out and still so limited?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Just curious, I had a SLAP and biceps tendon repair done I’m 2013 and was back to full duty in 3 months. How are you nearly 2 years out and still so limited?
It's not a competition, lol. Some people heal differently, the injury is different, surgery didn't go as planned, etc.

OP
OP
Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer

Forum Probie
Hey FiremanMike, I have severe bone degenerative osteoarthritis in my left shoulder. I have nothing left in the joint. Bone on bone. Which is why the joint replacement is inevitable.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Hey FiremanMike, I have severe bone degenerative osteoarthritis in my left shoulder. I have nothing left in the joint. Bone on bone. Which is why the joint replacement is inevitable.
Have you considered doing the surgery and then trying. One of the FF's at my dept had his hip replaced and he's good to go now. He's 42 and still working as a FT FF/PM

OP
OP
Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer

Forum Probie
Have you considered doing the surgery and then trying. One of the FF's at my dept had his hip replaced and he's good to go now. He's 42 and still working as a FT FF/PM
JGmedic, that is something that I have been considering. I actually just called my surgeons office to see what he would say. It's definitely a bold move. If anyone else has been in a similar situation, please feel free to chime in.

OP
OP
Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer

Forum Probie
luke_31 thank you for your response. That has also crossed my mind as well. Right now I'm struggling with being told no. I want to exhaust all options before throwing in the towel for good.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
JGmedic, that is something that I have been considering. I actually just called my surgeons office to see what he would say. It's definitely a bold move. If anyone else has been in a similar situation, please feel free to chime in.
Sounds like that might be your only option at this point. I know plenty of guys who have had major surgeries and fully recovered to work in the field.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
It's not a competition, lol. Some people heal differently, the injury is different, surgery didn't go as planned, etc.
I wasn't meaning to present my case in a competitive way, but I think my point stands. S/p surgery, you would expect significant improvement much quicker than this. I'd be curious if the surgeon is truly content with this progress or not.

For me, the surgeon's opinion of my progress would be mostly irrelevant. If I'm 6 months out from surgery and can't lift 15 points, I'd be pounding on his door day and night to start working on plan B.

So @Zombie Killer - what have you been doing about your shoulder up until now, and why have you put off further surgery for so long?

OP
OP
Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer

Forum Probie
I wasn't meaning to present my case in a competitive way, but I think my point stands. S/p surgery, you would expect significant improvement much quicker than this. I'd be curious if the surgeon is truly content with this progress or not.

For me, the surgeon's opinion of my progress would be mostly irrelevant. If I'm 6 months out from surgery and can't lift 15 points, I'd be pounding on his door day and night to start working on plan B.

So @Zombie Killer - what have you been doing about your shoulder up until now, and why have you put off further surgery for so long?
That's the thing FiremanMike, I want to say around our second meeting post-op I had some imaging done we were wrapping up. He didn't seem all that impressed. He didn't say it. I read it on his face. I had to finish up his last sentence on our way out. He had started to say something along the lines of . That's where I had said, " we'll see what we can do." He then had replied, "yes, we'll see what we can do." All I know is is that I've had a total of 4 doctors tell me that I shouldn't have this bad of a case of glenohumeral arthritis at my age. Plan B was to do all that I can use out of it again as possible. As far as what have I been doing about it since the operation. Physical therapy...lots of physical therapy.