Another ACLS Question

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
I've heard two different things about checking a rhythm. Here's the scenario, after defibrillating vfib/tach do you check the rhythm after? I've had one ACLS instructor tell us to do a quick look right after, and another say immediately start CPR after defibrillating without checking a rhythm. What would you do?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I believe its old standards vs new standards? Its been a while I have to recert on ACLS soon. If I remember correctly you do CPR for 1 minute then check the rhythm. Anyone else?
Shock, resume CPR for 1 minute then check rhythm I THINK... anyone else?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
No rhythm check is to be performed after defibrillation according to our clinical guidelines.

The appropriate time to perform a rhythm check is at each two minute interval (each 200 compressions).

200 compressions
Rhythm check - shock if indicated
200 compressions
Rhythm check - shock if indicated
Adrenaline 1mg
Repeat

Oh, and a rhythm check is one Ambulance Officer looking at the monitor and deciding to shock or not, none of this bloody "oh lets all stop what we are doing, hands off and gorp at the monitor"!

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe its old standards vs new standards? Its been a while I have to recert on ACLS soon. If I remember correctly you do CPR for 1 minute then check the rhythm. Anyone else?
Shock, resume CPR for 1 minute then check rhythm I THINK... anyone else?

I believe it is two minutes after a shock. Before you check anything. Pulse, rhythm......not 100% sure on that one, bit for some reason one minute don't sound right and two minutes is coming to mind.

I'll have to go look to be sure.

OP
OP
truetiger

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been going by extended/unknown downtime 2 mins cpr then rhythm check, defib if needed. Witnessed/ known short downtime, rhythm check/defib then cpr. Checking rhythm only at 2 min rhythm checks, and immediately resuming cpr after defib.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Defib followed by five cycles of compressions then re check rhythm.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Just did ACLS about a month and a half ago. Immediately resuming CPR is what the standard is. Rationale bieng even if the heart converted to a perfusing rhythm it will need help at this point.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Gotta keep the pump primed

I've heard two different things about checking a rhythm. Here's the scenario, after defibrillating vfib/tach do you check the rhythm after? I've had one ACLS instructor tell us to do a quick look right after, and another say immediately start CPR after defibrillating without checking a rhythm. What would you do?

The 2005 guidelines advocate 2 mins of CPR after defibrillation, then check for pulse, repeat shock if indicated.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Definitely resume compressions IMMEDIATELY after CPR.

Some providers can't help it and want to do a quick check. But there's no point. It's delaying the constant compressions which is the thing we need to improve on the most to help survival. Regardless of the rhythm you're going to do compressions anyway, so why look? It just delays.

8jimi8

CFRN
i didnt realize there was so much confusion about this.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
There shouldn't be lol. I am due for ACLS recert and haven't worked a code in over a year. :blush:

Well back to Rapid CE with me for remedial training!

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
This "new" standard has been the standard for 5ish years....there shouldn't be any confusion to this. Maybe drug dosages yes, because local protocols vary, but confusion about what to do after a shock!?!?!?

Only two people answered incorrectly, but even the ones who got it right didn't seem that confident.

THE MORE RARELY WE USE A SKILL, THE MORE WE SHOULD PRACTICE IT. I'm sure there's some skills I'm guilty of not practicing enough, too...

Compressions until last minute possible (including during charging unless it's a rapid charge unit...and even then you can still do it), shock, continue CPR immediately. The interruption in compressions should be MINIMAL.

I try to train myself that the phrases "no pulse" "charging" and "shock delivered" should always be followed with "continue CPR" (or a variation of it). So the phrases roll off your tongue as one sentence to minimize delays in resuming compressions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
After shock delivered resume CPR. I have to agree with Mr Brown on this.

Anyone heard rumors on the new guidelines due this fall? So far I've heard continuous compressions for 6 minutes including thru shock delivery. No attempt at airway control or "breaths" for 6 mins. Basically continuous compressions, shock prn and IV access during the first 6 mins.

Our MD wants to do inservices within a month of the new guidelines being published so we can do them right away. Apparently most places do not adopt them for up to two years after they are published.

Your thoughts?

EMS_Junkie

Forum Probie
The American Heart Association says after defibrillating VF/pulseless VT, to immediately start CPR for 2 minutes and then do another rhythm check. If you think about it, if you save a "dead heart" its not going to work correct right away, so doing CPR for that 2 minutes even if they are in a rhythm other than VF/VT will help nourish the heart and perfuse remaining tissues.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
rhythm check before med push or defib, not after
Cite your source?
Rhythm check, shock, cpr, push drug, rhythm check, shock/noshock, cpr, med, rhythm check

It's unrealistic that you'll be able to load and push a drug right after the rhythm check, yet before the delivery of the shock, especially on a rapid charging defibrillator.

Thoughts?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
No point checking the rhythm after you give adrenaline, we've known for thirty years that drugs in cardiac arrest have proven ineffective.

tylerp1

Forum Crew Member
Well, when you defib a pt with vtach or vfib, the defibrillator is going to make the rhythm asystole because it's restarting the heart, so if you dont go right into compressions, youll see asystole, so give good, high-quality CPR.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You shock, do 2 minutes of CPR, THAN check rhythm.