American Professional Ambulance?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a new EMT looking for my first job, and I happened to notice a now hiring sign on the back of an APA rig in Pasadena today. So I look up their website and my first impressions is that the website was one of the better and more informative websites for an ambulance company I've seen so far.

Does anyone know more about APA? How much emergency vs IFT calls do they do? Etc?

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
from what i hear they pay a little higher than other companies but they do a lot of dialysis runs.

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
I worked there for about 2 years & it was an alright company. They went through 4-5 supervisors, one supervisor/manager got sued for sexual harassment, the company had a few court cases against them for wrongful termination and multiple other things. But with that being said, I never had a paycheck bounce, had ok benefits, and had a great partner.

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok thanks, yeah I have an interview with APA tomorrow afternoon. I also just got a call from PRN today wanting to set up an interview.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
If you see a phone number or a NOW HIRING sign on an ambulance, pass it up.
Also, the more stickers in the back window, the better (Look for the LaCo sticker). If they are LaCo certified, they meet the TIGHTEST requirements.

Either way, good luck. If you get an offer from both, choose PRN. Its a good company. APA is under scrutiny from the county I believe.

(EDIT: just realized this is an older post. Must be time to sleep.....)

Last edited by a moderator:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
If you see a phone number or a NOW HIRING sign on an ambulance, pass it up.
Also, the more stickers in the back window, the better (Look for the LaCo sticker). If they are LaCo certified, they meet the TIGHTEST requirements.

Either way, good luck. If you get an offer from both, choose PRN. Its a good company. APA is under scrutiny from the county I believe.

(EDIT: just realized this is an older post. Must be time to sleep.....)

APA is not currently county licensed. Looking at the list they probably a minimum 6 month away from board hearing if not much longer consider how slow the county is moving.

SurfEMT

Forum Probie
Anyone have recent information on APA? Like Working conditions, quality of the place and people? I see they are on the pending list for an LACounty permit. Also what's their interview process? Thanks.

Leirsyn

Forum Probie
Hey SurfEMT, I worked for this company for a bit, and they are alright in my book. The quality of calls depends on which station you work for. The valley/ culver city stations tend to do a lot of dialysis calls - I would say a 70/30 ratio, while for the carson station, the ratio was about 40/60. If you work for Sundays, you are not going to get any dialysis calls obviously. They only give 10 hour shifts, so expect to do anywhere from 2 to 5 calls.

The people who work there are nice, but like any other place, there will be a few partners who will get on your bad side. Carson/Valley station is the most organized while Culver City is the least organized.

Interview questions vary from each employee, I hear, but they definitely need people because so many people leave for school or use it as a stepping stone for another career so they will hire you on the spot if deemed qualified. After that, you have 3 days of classroom training and then 3 days of field training followed by 3 days of driver training. I can tell you that it is a lot more legitimate than most companies.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
40-70% dialysis calls per day still sounds awful.

What's the other 30-60%?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
The majority of my BLS IFTs that were SNF to ER in LA went code 3. But we didn't do many and when we did we were on our toes.
I think I know who you worked for. Alot of snf to ed calls are shady ill admit to that and a good crew will spot it.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I think I know who you worked for. Alot of snf to ed calls are shady ill admit to that and a good crew will spot it.
I worked for Bowers lol.
Our dead giveaway was "hyperglycemia" I had 3 in one week with that on the pager. All 3 went code 3. One was altered and hypotensive, one was in resp failure and the third was in cardiogenic shock. But hey at least the SMF doc ordered NS 50ml/hr for the hyperglycemia.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked for Bowers lol.
Our dead giveaway was "hyperglycemia" I had 3 in one week with that on the pager. All 3 went code 3. One was altered and hypotensive, one was in resp failure and the third was in cardiogenic shock. But hey at least the SMF doc ordered NS 50ml/hr for the hyperglycemia.
LOL Ah Bowers the trusted name in SNF emergencies. They are always going code! I saw them take a patient from LAFD at a con home before bls to bls.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL Ah Bowers the trusted name in SNF emergencies. They are always going code! I saw them take a patient from LAFD at a con home before bls to bls.
Ha! LAFD probably didn't want to run it so they called Bowers :eek:

Truthfully, I didn't run too many SNF calls but when I did, it was usually legitimate. Either code 3 legitimate, or even just legitimate enough that I don't feel like a taxi driver.

They do run code a lot. But not usually for SNFs. I worked on CCT and we got a lot of code 3 calls. Medic units do too.

ImVenom

Forum Probie
I JUST APPLIED HERE. HEARD ITS DECENT. ANYONE HAVE ANY UPDATED INFO FOR ME???