ambulance driver without emt license

static321

Forum Ride Along
I had a question about becoming an ambulance driver. I intend to to go for emt training when i have the money, but in the meantime i was wondering if you can become an ambulance driver before, or during training. Any info would be appreciated.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Some areas allow non-EMT/paramedic drivers. However, that doesn't mean anyone is going to hire someone as a non-EMT/paramedic driver. The chances of the starts aligning in the sense that you're both in an area that allows it and has a company looking to hire just an ambulance driver is going to be extremely rare... especially since we don't know where you're at.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I would look at doing some ride alongs. Make friends with people who are already working, it will help when you are looking for a first job. You could also look at working in a hospital as a tech. Most hospitals have internal training programs, and its good experience. Hospitals tend to pay pretty well too.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I would look at doing some ride alongs. Make friends with people who are already working, it will help when you are looking for a first job. You could also look at working in a hospital as a tech. Most hospitals have internal training programs, and its good experience. Hospitals tend to pay pretty well too.

The very vast majority of hospitals aren't going to hire someone without any training (CNA or EMT) at all and then train you, that's too much of a risk for them.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
I know IFT services in my area hire drivers, a clear driving record, over the age of 22, and a CPR card will get you a job.

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
The very vast majority of hospitals aren't going to hire someone without any training (CNA or EMT) at all and then train you, that's too much of a risk for them.

This is very true from my experience as well.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm sure there are driver only jobs out there but I'd be willing to bet they're few and far between. Especially since you can throw a rock and knock a person with an EMT card out pretty much anywhere in the country.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Your best bet is going to be a rural place. Some states will require CFR/EMR, but even in Ohio where the only requirement is that there is at least one EMR and one EMT on every transport, you could actually run a third person as a driver only. Once again though, only rural places that are really hurting for people are going to take EMR's/Drivers with no cert. in the city, there are just too many EMTs everywhere to go with hiring a non-emt.

CFal

Forum Captain
Your best bet is going to be a rural place. Some states will require CFR/EMR, but even in Ohio where the only requirement is that there is at least one EMR and one EMT on every transport, you could actually run a third person as a driver only. Once again though, only rural places that are really hurting for people are going to take EMR's/Drivers with no cert. in the city, there are just too many EMTs everywhere to go with hiring a non-emt.

In Rhode Island for volly services all we need is one EMT-B and one driver with a CPR card at the minimum.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
The Navajo Nation tribe hires EMT-Interns. Work on the rig while they put you through Basic class (and pay you to go to class). All you need is a GED.

MSPs

Forum Ride Along

Even then, that requirement is only for volunteer services (or "primarily volunteer") and you either have to have a fire card, be a police officer or have an EVOC cert to qualify to drive an ambulance that already has a transporting crew. I work for a fairly rural volunteer department and we wouldn't take someone on just to be a driver.

I would look into "ambulette" type services that many private EMS companies have. They typically only require CPR.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Even then, that requirement is only for volunteer services (or "primarily volunteer") and you either have to have a fire card, be a police officer or have an EVOC cert to qualify to drive an ambulance that already has a transporting crew. I work for a fairly rural volunteer department and we wouldn't take someone on just to be a driver.

I would look into "ambulette" type services that many private EMS companies have. They typically only require CPR.

Well yes--I can't imagine any department nowadays that would let you drive without having a EVOC passed first! But we still take "drivers" at my service. It's rural, and while we require them to be EMTs, a lot of them haven't done any patient care in a decade or longer. They just want to drive. And with as bad as we are hurting for people, we'll take them.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You certainly can get a job working for an ambulance company as a chair car driver... that's a good place to start...

MSPs

Forum Ride Along
Well yes--I can't imagine any department nowadays that would let you drive without having a EVOC passed first! But we still take "drivers" at my service. It's rural, and while we require them to be EMTs, a lot of them haven't done any patient care in a decade or longer. They just want to drive. And with as bad as we are hurting for people, we'll take them.

I just meant that even as a 3rd person driver you still need a certification from the state. I don't really see any volunteer agency taking someone on as just a driver that doesn't have an EMS or Fire card.

I'm curious how that works for your department. Do you staff the station?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I just meant that even as a 3rd person driver you still need a certification from the state. I don't really see any volunteer agency taking someone on as just a driver that doesn't have an EMS or Fire card.

I'm curious how that works for your department. Do you staff the station?

The state minimum is 1 EMR and 1 EMT for a transporting vehicle, but in rural areas a lot of the times our departments will want 2 people in the back still just for hands purposes so anyone else can drive. Well at least according to the law. Once the staffing minimum is met, anybody else can help. This is why Firefighters or cops can be seen doing compressions. This also means that anyone can drive the vehicle. the law only states that the EMR has to drive IF the EMR and the EMT are the only people on board. We've seen occasionally city maintenance people driving a rig to the hospital.

That being said, at my department, you must have a job where you have an EVOC to drive. This means we'll take cops and firefighters, but your snow plow driver cannot drive us.

We are also EMT and above only at this point. But we do have some EMTs who do nothing but drive and haven't touched a patient in years. We have 1 paid guy on 24/7 (usually) and a second one M-F during the day and Sunday mornings as those are the times that we historically can't get people to run. Everyone else either signs up to be on call (within 5 minutes of the station or on station) or carry pagers. There are 5 on call spots (4 during the staffed times), so you have 2 3-man trucks, but they never get filled. If you have a valid crew, you have to wait 7 minutes (I think?) for volunteers to show up unless you are at the 3-man capacity in which case you can respond immediately. There after, I think a truck is allowed to leave ever 3 minutes even if it's not at capacity. To be quite honest, we either get people or we don't so I don't really know about the times other than the first 7 minute rule which I find stupid and is worsening our response times. The counter argument is that of course with some places nearly 40 minutes out, waiting that extra couple of minutes to get to 7 minutes isn't hurting anything...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If your in California you are out of luck. You have to have an Ambulance Drivers Certificate through the DMV. One of the requirements for that cert is you have to be an EMT or medic; or obtain EMT or Medic in no more then 6 months after.

The best you could do in Cali is a wheelchair van driver.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If your in California you are out of luck. You have to have an Ambulance Drivers Certificate through the DMV. One of the requirements for that cert is you have to be an EMT or medic; or obtain EMT or Medic in no more then 6 months after.

The best you could do in Cali is a wheelchair van driver.

Actually... no. You need an EMT certificate to renew (so not for initial certification) unless you're another healthcare provider or volunteering under certain circumstances.

When renewing your Ambulance Driver certificate you must possess a valid Emergency Medical Technician I (EMT-1) certificate.
The EMT-1 certificate is not required if you are a California licensed physician, registered nurse, emergency care physician assistant, or a paramedic certified by a County Health Officer.
If you are a volunteer ambulance driver, you may be exempt from holding an EMT-1 certificate if the following requirements are met:

• The ambulance service is provided in an unincorporated area of a county with a population of less than 125, 000 people.
  • You (the driver) provide a letter on County Board of Supervisors letterhead identifying the name of the volunteer ambulance service.
  • You (the driver) provide a letter on letterhead from one of the following who identifies you by name and the name of the volunteer ambulance service:
    • County Health Office
    • County Medical Care Committee
    • Local emergency medical services agency coordinator

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/ambu_drvr_cert.htm

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

emtdansby

Forum Crew Member
We have a service here in Houston that allows non medical drivers, but only as a volunteer. Really the only way you are going to get a job is to get your EMT