ACOs and community paramedicine

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
We've all probably heard this stuff discussed to death, but I just attended a lecture that summarized the ACA changes along with some proposals for filling in the gaps that made 10000% more sense than anything else I've heard. It really resonated with me, answered many of my objections, and got me excited -- I thought I'd summarize it here. This is from Bill Kinch in the Boston area, a longtime medic who's been working to establish programs like this for a number of years. He's helped set up portions of these ideas in multiple states/countries and is aggressively continuing to develop them on several fronts.

So the problem now is that we're set up to treat acute emergencies (EMS + ED) and manage chronic illness in a scheduled fashion (make a PCP appointment in six months), but not unscheduled non-emergent illness, which makes up most of our volume. You can't get your PCP and there's no other option, so you use the ED, maybe via ambulance, which costs a ton and is terribly inefficient, because it's not set up for that. So instead, how about this?

1. You call 911, and a careful, rigorous EMD process establishes that your complaint is not life-threatening and emergent (cardiac arrest, stroke, major trauma, etc.). If it is, the EMS system is activated per normal. If not, they kick the call to a secondary communications center.

2. There your basic info is taken, which brings up your demographics (system integration is needed here), including your ACO -- meaning the coalition of PCP, hospitals, paramedicine providers, insurers, etc. that are responsible for your care. If possible you'll stay within that system.

3. A nurse interviews you, answering any questions as needed, and determines what needs to happen to address your problem.

4. The communications center can then dispatch the best resource, which may be: a non-emergent ambulance; a chair car; a passenger (livery) vehicle; a social worker; perhaps a midlevel-type practitioner; or nothing. You can be transported to the ED, an urgent care center, the pharmacy, directly to psych facilities (upgraded for acute assessment, including medical clearance), or wherever's best.

5. Advanced paramedics (call them what you want), which could simply be drawn from the standing pool of emergency ambulances while they're sitting around, or midlevel providers, could perform most screening and treatment on scene. Successful pilots have been made with point-of-care labs, suturing, casting, portable x-rays, and appropriate medical therapy all in a van and operated on scene (or with tele-consultation). Labs or radiography could be obtained and analyzed in a timely but not emergent fashion (come back in a few hours). Follow up is always possible since the pool of clinicians, particularly if you train all your ambulances at this level, is always available during their downtime. They can also perform proactive visitation, check up on recent discharges, and refer out for home safety or social needs.

6. Fee-for-service is gone, so we're not paid to transport, the hospital isn't paid per test or procedure, physicians aren't paid per patient load. Instead a chunk of money is given to the overall ACO to care for each patient, modified according to resource utilization and outcome. If patients get sick and do badly, everyone gets less money. If unnecessary resources are used, you're penalized. Patient only needed a cab ride, but you sent a paramedic? Tough, we're only paying you for the cab. Patient wanted the ambulance? Tough -- they don't dictate their care, they dictate their problem, the system determines the response. (If they insist on getting SOMETHING even if they need nothing -- true system abusers -- they probably get a cheap transport of some kind, but that's hugely less impacting than always getting an ambulance.) Eventually everyone should be insured; if you call for help and you're not in an ACO, you're placed in a temporary medical "home" and eventually assigned to a PCP and ACO, which will follow you in the future.

7. Liability and tort reform would have to be part and parcel. Since every patient isn't coming to the ED to get worked up in every imaginable way -- and even if they do come, physicians are discouraged from practicing that type of medicine -- we have to accept that there will occasionally be missed badness. This can be managed by smart screening at every level, and probably by accepting the retention of a certain degree of paranoia for really tricky cases (such as chest pain).

8. EMS education would obviously need to be improved, which may be tricky since although the rest of this can be driven from the top-down via government, there's no real federal EMS boss. However, if reimbursement starts to require it, and the demand exists, presumably educational pathways will develop. Providers may be happier, since they're being utilized more appropriately, and making more money. ED folks will be happier due to less crowding and more true emergency medicine.

9. In short: reimbursement, liability, and education all need to develop together. However, the overall model seems sound.

Thoughts?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey, sorry I overlooked this, I have been busy as heck lately. I have a pretty extensive thread going on regarding community paramedic stuff, check it out.
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=35038&page=6&highlight=community+paramedic some of the links I provide in that thread deal with ACO's and stuff, but only briefly.

Regarding your information above. It sounds good to me, I am no expert mind you. One thing I noticed, which you took note of, was you do not seem to have a plan for "advanced paramedic" education. The hypothetical master plan for "community paramedic 4.0" is a masters degree level provider. Emergency transport paramedics with 1 year vocational certificates can not simply take a merit badge class in "community paramedic" or "public health 101" they need a full spectrum of proper higher education to fill this role. They also need to be paid accordingly, and should be considering the time and money they will save the system in the long run.
A temporary fix for this could be pilot programs for medics who already posses degree's with science backgrounds, and simply have them go back to school.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Brandon O

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
It did seem concerning that you seem to need the liability, reimbursement, and education changes all to occur simultaneously (no benefit to any unless the others also happen), which seems unlikely without a top-down, mandated effort... not just tricky to make happen, there's not even any "top" to guide the EMS and educational side.

pcbguy

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Sounds like a pretty good start. Obviously a lot of details to be worked out. I think there needs to be a governing body setup to mandate the changes and oversee everything.

Is this possible with fire-based EMS?

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Wow. And what magic fairy dust are we using to make all that happen again?!?

How about we just say, "abracadabra no one be ill" instead? I mean, since we're talking all fairy tale land and such.

Let me point something out that I touched on in another thread: the time for EMS to affect major change and play a role in redesigning itself ALREADY CAME AND WENT. With everyone whining on the irrelevant Internet how things need to change.

Congratulations. Health care reform is one of the biggest domestic policy crisis of our lives, and we did NOTHING.

There was no representation, and still is no representation or leadership whatsoever. No influence on the ACA. I think just recently the NAEMT decided to publish a joke of a position paper that EMS needs federal funding. Way to go...and in other news, you get a nice bag as a FREE gift when you renew your membership. A $110 value! Act now, operators are standing by.

Also, other than 1997 calling and asking for its web design back, I got no useful information from the link you posted. Does that guy own some type of CMS funded transport service? I ask because of the photo at the bottom. If so, yeah, Im sure he is ocean spraying the Kool aid juice because he stands to get more money.

OP
OP
Brandon O

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Let me point something out that I touched on in another thread: the time for EMS to affect major change and play a role in redesigning itself ALREADY CAME AND WENT. With everyone whining on the irrelevant Internet how things need to change.

Congratulations. Health care reform is one of the biggest domestic policy crisis of our lives, and we did NOTHING.

There was no representation, and still is no representation or leadership whatsoever. No influence on the ACA. I think just recently the NAEMT decided to publish a joke of a position paper that EMS needs federal funding. Way to go...and in other news, you get a nice bag as a FREE gift when you renew your membership. A $110 value! Act now, operators are standing by.

Take it easy.

The Affordable Care Act wasn't meant to address our pet problems, it was meant for something the rest of the country cares about. The way it impacts us is that, under the remodeled image of healthcare it's trying to carve, there may be a role for EMS that's more sustainable and appropriate. Or maybe not, but it makes sense to me, so if you see specific problems throw 'em up for discussion.

Also, other than 1997 calling and asking for its web design back, I got no useful information from the link you posted. Does that guy own some type of CMS funded transport service? I ask because of the photo at the bottom. If so, yeah, Im sure he is ocean spraying the Kool aid juice because he stands to get more money.

I believe he works as a consultant for issues like this, and has helped set up chunks of it in a number of systems. At the moment he's working with one of the big local hospital systems to try to implement the communication center concept. Until the educational model for APPs is in place I believe he's been experimenting with midlevels in some roles.

OP
OP
Brandon O

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Is this possible with fire-based EMS?

I'm sure the fire service, as always, can adapt to do almost anything. But it seems like they'd be best suited to remain in the emergency response business, while other services take over the non-emergent stuff. Which would probably make them pretty happy, financial issues notwithstanding.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Take it easy.

Join reality.

Obamacare may not have been "meant for EMS" but the fact that it came and went and remains without our interests being represented is telling of the ability of the profession to act like a profession.

Believing that what you wrote can come to widescale fruition is akin to bright eyed Alice in Wonderland plus Wonkas Factory times Elysium.

Realistic solutions, money and politicking go alot farther than imagining a fairy tale and pretending someone is going to give it to you.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm sure the fire service, as always, can adapt to do almost anything. But it seems like they'd be best suited to remain in the emergency response business, while other services take over the non-emergent stuff. Which would probably make them pretty happy, financial issues notwithstanding.

I believe a few fire services have implemented BLS level community response. Trying to find where I saw that...ultimately though it doesn't matter. Just because the fire department runs EMS in some area doesn't mean it can't be done.