ACLS and PALS course

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
I am about to apply for a cruise ship medic job and in that regard I need an ACLS/ALS and PALS certification. Does anybody here knows of a reputable place to take it? I see some places offer 100% online courses, but will they be AHA accredited?
I am considering whether to take an American AHA accredited course, or an ERC accredited course, and have found some courses in Europe, but trying to sort out which courses in the US that are legit seems a bit more difficult.
This place claims to be an AHA authorized training center, and offers ACLS and PALS online courses for 150 USD per course. They are also listed at the AHA website, so does that mean that its legit? Do I need to take an in person exam in addition to the online course?
150 USD is a lot cheaper than the 480 euros which was the cheapest ERC accredited ALS course I found. I wasn't able to find any 100% online ERC accredited course either.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
There are no legit 100% online ACLS/PALS courses. They ALL require skill demonstration and sign off.

Go to an in person class and do it right.

OP
OP
S

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
There are no legit 100% online ACLS/PALS courses. They ALL require skill demonstration and sign off.

Go to an in person class and do it right.
That's what I thought. Do you have any recommendations? Is it a big difference in the quality of the AHA accredited courses?

flipdizzy

Forum Ride Along
You really don't need a reputable company or a good company. Just go anywhere that you can get the acls card and then roll on. Any company that teaches an AHA class is bound to teach the AHA curriculum with AHA instructors. AHA stuff is a packaged program that has nothing to do with an EMS program or school It has nothing to do with reputation. Just find a place that's convenient for you, get the sir, and don't worry about it for two more years

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
Norway. So probably I will go for an ERC course, but if the AHA course is cheaper I wouldnt mind combining an ACLS and possibly PALS course with a vacation to the US instead of taking it somewhere in Europe 🙂

OP
OP
S

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
Just take the course closest to you.
The course alone thats closest to me costs about the same as going to Serbia to take it, including transportation and lodging, so no. I've found some course in South Africa that I might do, then I'll be able to take the PALS course at the same time, which I will have to do in two separate trips to Sweden or Serbia. And it will be much cheaper than having to do two separate trips to take the ALS and EPALS.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps in the future, when asking for people to take the time to try to help, you state what country you live in. You’ve wasted my time with your questions and I have to state: your working as a patient care provider with training obtained mostly online makes me very concerned for the passengers.

OP
OP
S

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
Can't believe I'm even bothering to reply, but since you are so very concerned. Not sure how me asking where to take the ACLS course makes you assume most of my training is online, but I can assure you it's not.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't believe I'm even bothering to reply, but since you are so very concerned. Not sure how me asking where to take the ACLS course makes you assume most of my training is online, but I can assure you it's not.
It’s how you have presented yourself to us, not me.
You certainly don’t have to respond.

Summit

Critical Crazy
https://thehen.biz/ teaches excellent ER focused AHA ACLS and PALS courses and they are offered in a vacation worthy place in the US. Plenty of paramedics and ICU RNs also take their courses.