accountability of controlled substance

coolidge

Forum Crew Member
HI,
I am looking for examples of forms for controlled substance accountability.

Each drug would have its own sheet with the columns:
beginning inventory plus acquisitions minus administrations minus wastage minus return = balance on hand

Am I missing any columns?
Any suggestions for forms or examples of forms?
Thanks,
Bob Coolidge Pharm EMT-Int

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You can easily create one using Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. This is an example one that we use if/when our computer based logging system goes down.
Controlled Substances.jpg

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
HI,
I am looking for examples of forms for controlled substance accountability.

Each drug would have its own sheet with the columns:
beginning inventory plus acquisitions minus administrations minus wastage minus return = balance on hand

Am I missing any columns?
Any suggestions for forms or examples of forms?
Thanks,
Bob Coolidge Pharm EMT-Int
Signature blocks for two person integrity plus supervisor or pharmacist.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Old company: 1 page for each narcotic. Month and year at the top.
Date prefilled 31 days : Sign out (dispatcher), sign in (medic) Quantity, Sign out (medic) Sign in (dispatcher). Quantity
So Dispatcher checks it with 2nd dispatcher (if it isn't signed out to a medic for the day) towards the end of the shift. Line out 2nd set of signatures for that date.
--OR--
Dispatcher signs it out to the medic that signs it in to him/her self: they check quantities and write them in. Then at the end of the shift Medic signs them out (off him/her) and dispatcher signs them back in, with a quantity check again.
1 line per day.

OP
OP
C

coolidge

Forum Crew Member
Old company: 1 page for each narcotic. Month and year at the top.
Date prefilled 31 days : Sign out (dispatcher), sign in (medic) Quantity, Sign out (medic) Sign in (dispatcher). Quantity
So Dispatcher checks it with 2nd dispatcher (if it isn't signed out to a medic for the day) towards the end of the shift. Line out 2nd set of signatures for that date.
--OR--
Dispatcher signs it out to the medic that signs it in to him/her self: they check quantities and write them in. Then at the end of the shift Medic signs them out (off him/her) and dispatcher signs them back in, with a quantity check again.
1 line per day.
Thanks. Any problems that you have detected that afford diversion with that process?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks. Any problems that you have detected that afford diversion with that process?
I may be more tired than normal; but I don't know what you are trying to ask.

We never had issues with keeping track. Every narcotic box (locked metal box) was counted at least 1 time every day. Twice if it was signed out to a medic crew.
DEA came in for a surprise visit and they liked it.
Fire department did the same basic thing.

Here at my FT job we have a daily check on tag on the boxes, sign a form that we write in both tag numbers. 2 people.

1 time per month inventory is done with an assigned person (assigned by Base Commander, changes each month): full, open each box, hands on inventory. New tags to seal the boxes.

OP
OP
C

coolidge

Forum Crew Member
I may be more tired than normal; but I don't know what you are trying to ask.

We never had issues with keeping track. Every narcotic box (locked metal box) was counted at least 1 time every day. Twice if it was signed out to a medic crew.
DEA came in for a surprise visit and they liked it.
Fire department did the same basic thing.

Here at my FT job we have a daily check on tag on the boxes, sign a form that we write in both tag numbers. 2 people.

1 time per month inventory is done with an assigned person (assigned by Base Commander, changes each month): full, open each box, hands on inventory. New tags to seal the boxes.
Do you do a total reconciliation, for example of product purchased, administered, wasted and balance on hand, kind of like a running back account?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
It is a government issued form;

This is what we use now.

My old company was just a Word form that had the Month and Year and Narcotic Box on the top. Down the left side was dates 1-31. Then Out: Dispatcher name/signature, medic Name/Signature, quantities, medic name/signature and Dispatch name signature In.
It has been too long I don't have a copy of it. But below is a version (it had lines around everything).

Month: ___________ year___________ box:_____, Narcotic
OUT: Dispatcher Name/Signature. Medic Name/signature: Quantity: IN: Medic Name/Signature, Dispatcher Name/Signature
1st:
2nd:
etc
etc
31st:

Attachments

• A3949 Blank Fillable Clinic version.pdf
    54.4 KB · Views: 105