academy

schwing343

Forum Crew Member
This isnt really about BLS, im going to the fire academy in december. Just wondering what it is like, if any of you have taken it. thanx

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I only know what some of my FF friends told me. They told me that it was fun and easy. Most said it was much easier than EMT-B school.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
More sweat, less blood.

sandboxmedic

Forum Crew Member
Fire Academy

My best advice to you, is start getting in shape, running, arm strength in particular. Go to a fitness store and pick some slim but comfortable knee/elbow pads for "Mayday Firefighter Down",and your "confined space" evolutions. Both are fun, but strenuous, and you'll definitely learn alot. Oh, and a "Granny Knot" is NOT that 90+ year old lady in a pretzel shape you pick up from the nursing home....HAHAHAH. Have Fun!

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I thought mine was much harder than emt-b class. I thought the classroom portion covered a lot more information in shorter time, then you add into it the fact that you are sweaty and tired from PT before you you ever go into the classroom. Then it's luch time, then out onthe grinder doing drill for the next 4-5 hours.

Physically we'd indian run a 1.2 miles up to the locl high school, then we'd do a hell mile 4 laps around the track and up and down all the stadium steps on each side of the field each time. Then we'd go on the field and do some sprints, 20 yd bear crawls, lunges, squats ect. And push ups ll day whenever some screwed up. Then the 1.2 miles back to the station at a nice slow pace, stoping every block or so to do push-ups and squats.

Near the end we started meeting at the school and doingthe stadiums and drills tured out on air. That sucked.

You will have a lot of fun and learn a lot, nothing beats live fire training. We did car fires, a trailer fire, natural gas fire training and a training tower fire/burn chamber. over 1000 degree's F. Good stuff.

OP
OP
schwing343

schwing343

Forum Crew Member
sounds like fun, im in pretty good shape at the moment, running 3 miles a day, hitting the weights all that fun stuff.....thanx for the info guys

whentigersfight

Forum Ride Along
How long is your academy? Full time or part time?

Start reviewing basic knots like the bowline, clove hitch, figure 8 series, etc. As previously stated get in shape. And get ready for some fun, but hard work.

But then the real fun lies when trying to get hired....

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a very competitive field.