4 High-Value Jobs That Don’t Pay Nearly Enough

Angel

Paramedic
firefighters dont get paid enough??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There's a lot more than four jobs out there with valued yet underpaid employees...

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
firefighters dont get paid enough??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Maybe the author didn't know that EMTs are often separate positions from firefighter.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You do have to keep in mind that the majority of fire departments in the US are volunteer staffed.

For us in CA its the exact opposite

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Not all FDs pay their staff exorbitant salaries. With that said they're generally better paid than us.

I make the same hourly as a fire medic here, they just make more because of the 56 hr vs 48 hr work week.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Google is your friend.

We make similar lists like that written by others.

Like dude said, don't take it personally.

Angel

Paramedic
Where I interned firefighters would make $1000 for working a "call back". Just like that! It's not the hourly it's all the extra stipend for being a medic, having a degree, working OT ect. Its very easy to pull in 70k, and they don't HAVE to be paid OT. there's some policy that states they can be paid straight time for x-amount of OT hours.
Anyway. Ca FF have it nice.

gnosis

Forum Crew Member
Up here teachers, cops, and firefighters all make great money. All three are well above the national average. Lifeguards make pretty good money, as well. My first job was as a lifeguard, and I didn't make that much money at a job again until my mid twenties.

Care aides, on the other hand, don't make nearly enough money. We had to do a care home shift as part of our practicum, and I wouldn't do that job if they gave me a blank cheque every day.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

It may shock you but I was making minimum wage as a firefighter. Where it balances out is that I had a 72hr work week, plus I went out on strike teams this fire season and if you're lucky the days you're out of county are OT.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
It may shock you but I was making minimum wage as a firefighter. Where it balances out is that I had a 72hr work week, plus I went out on strike teams this fire season and if you're lucky the days you're out of county are OT.
Regardless of what you may have been told, if you do the math, you were not making minimum wage; you were making at least $12 per hour as a first-year FF1.

Still not great money, but certainly not minimum wage.

Last edited:

CALEMT

Regardless of what you may have been told, if you do the math, you were not making minimum wage; you were making at least $12 per hour as a first-year FF1.

Still not great money, but certainly not minimum wage.

Yeah because of the 72hr work week and planned OT each pay period, still not the best but enough. Also its short lived because every 6 months of service you get a pay step increase, I don't know how much though.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
The first 53 hours each week, you make about $12.00 per hour. Your rate for planned and unplanned OT is $13.50 because the published hourly rate is $9.00. A first year FF1 will make about $3800 per month if you just work your weekly 72. Not chump change for the work performed.

CALEMT

No, the first 53 hours each week, you make about $12.00 per hour. Your rate for planned and unplanned OT is $13.50 because the published hourly rate is $9.00. A first year FF1 will make about $3800 per month if you just work your weekly 72. Not chump change for the work performed.

Hmm interesting, I never really went that in depth to find out, I'm guessing the 3800 is before taxes because even with salary and my planned OT it wasn't that much. (wish it was haha)

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm interesting, I never really went that in depth to find out, I'm guessing the 3800 is before taxes because even with salary and my planned OT it wasn't that much. (wish it was haha)
If you're curious to read about how it all works, I wrote a ditty on the CAFF forum. This will help you to understand why promoted positions make so much more even though the published wages do not seem too far off of each other.

And yes, these are gross wages before taxes, union dues, retirement and meals.

http://www.californiafirefighter.com/showthread.php?t=9188

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Of course not! They pull people from burning buildings on a daily bas...

Sorry, couldn't finish.

Angel

Paramedic
Of course not! They pull people from burning buildings on a daily bas...

Sorry, couldn't finish.

Its totally backwards. Im curious how things will change, or wont, once "firefighting" becomes almost only medicals. Medics get paid peanuts, and they consistently run calls, while FF get an exorbitant salary and maybe....barely...rarely have 1 working fire a week. Even as a Medic with some Fire depts id still make crap compared to the actual FF even though my job pays for their budget and salary (and still get treated like crap). I'd feel so used