21 Injured at Apartment Fire

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
http://www.wboc.com/story/20359494/21-people-injured-in-sunday-fire-on-race-street-in-cambridge

The fire broke out round 2230 Sunday night. We are in an all volunteer fire area with paid ems crews. While not covered in the story, our first arriving EMS units improvised and assisted in the rescue of trapped victims by using the ambulance as a platform. Without their quick action, and the response of law enforcement who were in the area, things would have been much worse.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Good one. How was the ambulance used as "a platform"?

I hated to think about "residence over business" fires, especially in older neighborhoods. Never had to go to one, but the potential for chemically or fuel-load enhanced fires, substandard sprinklers and alarms, and/or crummy escape routes was (and is) so likely... and such a pain to carry patients down out of!

OP
OP
EMDispatch

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
When were received the first 911 call, fire an smoke had already blocked the exits out of the building.When they arrived on scene, they pulled the ambulance up to front of the structure. It allowed residents who were jumping or trying to jump a safer height to jump down too. Unfortunately the same couldn't be said for victims on the back side, who were forced to jump into an alley. However, we managed to save everyone in the complex.

It was as far as I'm aware also our first real MCI in the county, and was handled well by all units on scene (my count was over 20 ambulances from 3 counties, mixed paid and volunteer).

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OOraw then.