2 Jersey Medics deliver baby by caesarean

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Click Link to read more....

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C07E7D9143AF934A1575AC0A961958260

2 Paramedics Face Inquiry Over Surgery In Emergency
By DAVID W. CHEN
Published: September 27, 1997

New Jersey health officials are investigating the actions of two paramedics who performed an emergency Caesarean section on Thursday to deliver the baby of a woman in North Bergen who was in cardiac arrest and could not be revived.

The paramedics acted while consulting by radio with emergency room doctors at Jersey City Medical Center, officials said, but state health regulations forbid paramedics to perform surgical operations. The emergency workers said they believed that the procedure was their only hope of saving the baby.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown thinks you are about 13 years behind the times :D

... oh how Brown misses the 1990s

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
So what was the outcome, since this took place thirteen years ago. :)

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Let the jokes fly...amongst my busy schedule, I did not check the date...and the link was sent to me and I posted. :)

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Still would be interested to know what the outcome of the baby and the inquiry was.

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
WOW! Kiwi was here in 2007??? How time flies...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Click Link to read more....

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C07E7D9143AF934A1575AC0A961958260

2 Paramedics Face Inquiry Over Surgery In Emergency
By DAVID W. CHEN
Published: September 27, 1997

New Jersey health officials are investigating the actions of two paramedics who performed an emergency Caesarean section on Thursday to deliver the baby of a woman in North Bergen who was in cardiac arrest and could not be revived.

The paramedics acted while consulting by radio with emergency room doctors at Jersey City Medical Center, officials said, but state health regulations forbid paramedics to perform surgical operations. The emergency workers said they believed that the procedure was their only hope of saving the baby.
we talked about this alot in my 2008 medic class.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Ha ha ha! I thought that story sounded familiar! I didn't even bother to read the dates. I just started reading and got so absorbed, then I started thinking, you know, this sounds remarkably like another story I heard........then I got back on here and read the replies. LOL!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Only in Jersey would something like that even be newsworthy.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Only in Jersey would something like that even be newsworthy.

In your state, a field c-section is within protocol for a medic?

These particular medics lost their certs over this incident. I don't know if they ever got them back, but it's a pretty well-known story.

reaper

Working Bum
It was their decision to make. If they felt the chance for the baby was worth losing their license over, that was a choice they made.

Hell, maybe they OB/GYN's by now!

firecoins

IFT Puppet

These particular medics lost their certs over this incident. I don't know if they ever got them back, but it's a pretty well-known story.

They lost their Jersey MICUs but I believe they each had their NR-EMT-Ps which they didn't lose. I am unsure if they had NY Certs being how close they live to NY but NY took no action against them.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
They lost their Jersey MICUs but I believe they each had their NR-EMT-Ps which they didn't lose. I am unsure if they had NY Certs being how close they live to NY but NY took no action against them.

Were they ever allowed to get their medic licenses back in NJ? Was it a complete revokation or suspension for a period of time? Did the committee that made this decision use their brains or did they blindly follow policy?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Were they ever allowed to get their medic licenses back in NJ? Was it a complete revokation or suspension for a period of time? Did the committee that made this decision use their brains or did they blindly follow policy?

Don't know. I was told they lost MICU so I gather not. Since I didn't hear it from these 2 people , take what I am saying with a grain of salt. I assume they are working in NY.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

It can be very easily if his service medical director said he could do it in the field. The med director could even allow basics to do it if he wanted to and trained them

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
It can be very easily if his service medical director said he could do it in the field. The med director could even allow basics to do it if he wanted to and trained them

Nope. A med director can only do that is allowed by statute. If the statute says "no C-Sections by EMT-Bs, but Is and Ps can" then he cannot make a protocol allowing Bs to do it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nope. A med director can only do that is allowed by statute. If the statute says "no C-Sections by EMT-Bs, but Is and Ps can" then he cannot make a protocol allowing Bs to do it.

True for every state except the state that Medic417 works in :)

firecoins

IFT Puppet

A field C-Secion is not in scope of pratice of a medic in NJ, even if it is directed by an MD.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
A field C-Secion is not in scope of pratice of a medic in NJ, even if it is directed by an MD.

I'm aware of that, of course, but my question was more along the lines of - does /any/ state allow it?

Theoretically, as we've discussed, Texas (with it's unlimited delegated scope of practice) could do, but has any medical director actually agreed to let his medics start cutting on expectant mothers - even dead ones?