NYS reciprocity

FloridasEMT12

Forum Ride Along
I currently have NREMT and Florida certification and can't get NYS reciprocity being that my initial course was done online. Any suggestions?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Maybe you can try to get a NJ reciprocity, and then use your NJ card to get NYS reciprocity? IDK what the rules are, it's been almost two decades since I obtained my reciprocity for NYS

Do you work in NYS, or want to work in NYS, or do you now live in NYS? Because it sounds like you are trying to bypass a clearly established rule that was enacted for a reason, and trying to find a loophole might cause you more problems down the line...

Have you discussed your options with someone within NY's EMS offices?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
NYS is behind the curve (on everything). Their policy seems to state that unless you had >50% (live/synchronous) didactic education, they will not grant reciprocity (see: https://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/certification/reciprocity.htm) . However, I would recommend reaching out to the state office as they seem to have slowly gotten more reasonable over time. I was thinking about doing an online AEMT course and hesitated because of exactly this problem.

They might let you take a refresher and try to recert by exam?

Direct quote from NYS BEMS:
“All applications must prove that no more than half of the didactic portion of their course was asynchronous. This requirement is based on lectures only. Skills sessions and clinical time cannot be including in determining the in-person percentage.”

This is laughably behind the times, but they have chosen to make their bed.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
NYS is behind the curve (on everything). Their policy seems to state that unless you had >50% (live/synchronous) didactic education, they will not grant reciprocity (see: https://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/certification/reciprocity.htm) . However, I would recommend reaching out to the state office as they seem to have slowly gotten more reasonable over time. I was thinking about doing an online AEMT course and hesitated because of exactly this problem.

They might let you take a refresher and try to recert by exam?

Direct quote from NYS BEMS:
“All applications must prove that no more than half of the didactic portion of their course was asynchronous. This requirement is based on lectures only. Skills sessions and clinical time cannot be including in determining the in-person percentage.”

This is laughably behind the times, but they have chosen to make their bed.
When you are the epitome of EMS, you can set the standard.

😆 😆 😆

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
When you are the epitome of EMS, you can set the standard.

😆 😆 😆
the only thing that New York exceeds in is taxation

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
OP - any luck reaching out to BEMS?

OP
OP
F

FloridasEMT12

Forum Ride Along
OP - any luck reaching out to BEMS?
Spoke to NYS DOH who forwarded me to the person in charge of reciprocity. Goes straight to voicemail with instructions to email him. This was the response -"If your EMT course was more then 50% asynchronous you are not eligible for reciprocity into New York. If you wish to obtain certification you will need to take an in person course in your home state then request reciprocity or in New York."

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Spoke to NYS DOH who forwarded me to the person in charge of reciprocity. Goes straight to voicemail with instructions to email him. This was the response -"If your EMT course was more then 50% asynchronous you are not eligible for reciprocity into New York. If you wish to obtain certification you will need to take an in person course in your home state then request reciprocity or in New York."
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. It’s really a backwards approach especially in 2024.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Does anyone know the rationale for requiring courses to be 50%+ asynchronous?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anyone know the rationale for requiring courses to be 50%+ asynchronous?
I’m going to inquire. It’s probably just like their rationale for still having a state exam - justify the BEMS staffing levels.