Can I Be an EMT if I have a Service Dog?

ServiceDogHandler

Forum Ride Along
Hi Folks. I'm currently a WFR and am in training with a SAR team. I am looking to add WEMT to my training certifications and have been told different things by different training organizations. One organization is claiming that I can't complete my on rig training or even work on a rig if I have a service dog and the other has not discouraged me from completing my training in any way shape or form based on my having a service dog.

Can anyone speak to this or point me in the appropriate direction for something which could answer this question?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It probably depends upon your reason for having a service dog, as certain medical conditions are disqualifying for EMT/WEMT. Best place to find out would be to contact the state agency in charge of certifications.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
How would the dog work if you are providing patient care? You can’t expect the dog is going to be at your side, going into houses etc. There are people who are afraid of dogs. There are expectations that you can’t just walk into a house, building, etc with a dog, service included.

You have no right to enter a private residence or building with a dog.

The dog in the back of a rig is a huge safety issue. I don’t know of any providers who want to end up paying for a new dog, nor want to be sued if something happens.

Those are the basics.

Summit

Critical Crazy
How would you secure a dog in a rig?

Infection Prevention issues are also an issue.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Maybe.

The internet seems to say that it’s a reasonable accommodation if employed. I would reach out to a disability/employment lawyer if you’re already working somewhere.

Ride alongs appear to be different. I’d contact an education disability lawyer if you’re a student in a program doing ride along.

There are many disability advocate services available. I’d reach out to one in your area for some direction.