EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
cks1130
Forum Ride Along

Is It Possible to become a Paramedic with A DUI

Is it possible to become a Paramedic with two OVI's in Ohio, I couldn't find much information on driving record requirments.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
ffemt8978
Community Leader
Forum Vice-Principal

Training: Retired
Send a message via Skype™ to ffemt8978
Quote:
Originally Posted by cks1130 View Post
Is it possible to become a Paramedic with two OVI's in Ohio, I couldn't find much information on driving record requirments.
Possible...yes. Depending upon how long ago they were, the companies insurance requirements, and whether or not they were felonies.

Probable? Not likely.
Darwin Awards are earned by far more than are actually awarded.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
jochi1543
Forum Captain

Training: EMT
Have you tried contacting your state regulatory board and individual services? Either one or both should be able to provide info. I know our City of Calgary service puts a limit on how many demerits you can have on your driving record, and my current service also required that I produce a driver's abstract - I have no idea what their demerit cutoff is, since I have 0, so I'm good everywhere. I think it's 6 for City of Calgary and having blood alcohol over the legal limit results in 8, so that'd make anyone with a DUI automatically ineligible to be hired.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
KEVD18
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: retired
you booze, you cruise, you lose.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:42 AM   #5
firecoins
IFT Puppet

Training: NY EMT-P
First, become a paramedic!

Than get pulled over while drunk!

Than your a paramedic with a DWI!

It is possible.

My opinions are not my own. They directly represent the opinions of the management of an agency I am not connected to in any way.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
BLSBoy
makes good girls go bad

Training: NJ MICP, Fla/NR EMTP
Send a message via AIM to BLSBoy Send a message via Yahoo to BLSBoy
Become a Medic, I am pretty sure you can.

Get hired on the road, well, there you encounter some problems.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
VentMedic
Forum Chief

Training: RRT/EMT-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by cks1130 View Post
Maybe. Maybe not.

Check with your state board. CALL or EMAIL THEM.

Usually each state will review each case individually. Some states have a clause that says the DUI must be more than 3 or 5 years old. One DUI or OVI might be acceptable by many states but 2 may present a big question. Some colleges may also abide by the state's minimimally acceptable time for a DUI and not allow entry until that is satisfied.

The companies may have to take a closer look at your application and character as a whole before making that decision even if the state grants you the license.

Then, many insurances may forgive one DUI but two might be a stretch. FDs and County EMS companies can be more selective. Private companies can not afford not to be selective when it comes to certain offenses.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
lizhiniatsos
Forum Crew Member

Training: EMT-Paramedic
along these same lines....can one work as a medic if they have a seizure disorder? Does anyone have experience/knowledge concerning this? I have a friend that just got his license and had a new onset seizure for no definable reason....just curious as to how others have dealt with this issue....thanks!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
jochi1543
Forum Captain

Training: EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizhiniatsos View Post
along these same lines....can one work as a medic if they have a seizure disorder? Does anyone have experience/knowledge concerning this? I have a friend that just got his license and had a new onset seizure for no definable reason....just curious as to how others have dealt with this issue....thanks!
Um, I have no idea, but here he'll also have driver's license issues, since I believe your DL is confiscated if you have a seizure. But maybe if his doc can prove it was a one-time incident with no risk of it happening again, he could argue to keep his license? I know they definitely confiscate them from diagnosed epileptics, but maybe with a one-time thing, he could get away. After all, isn't it something like 70% of all ppl will have had a seizure by the end of their lifetime?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Hastings
Noobie

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizhiniatsos View Post
Seizure disorder? No.

But a new onset seizure isn't a disorder. If it's the first and only time it's happened, they'll run tests to rule out said disorder. Sometimes seizures just happen under certain circumstances.

I've had an unexplained seizure before (and explained one). Never prevented me from becoming a medic.

As for the DUI, please don't. I don't even want to get into the "but I've changed!" thing. If you've ever driven under the influence, you've screwed some things up permanently. Gotta live with it.

Last edited by Hastings; 10-26-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Closed Thread