EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
whiteoleander28
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-Basic
CA ambulance dl test

So I'm totally new to this site, and thus the EMS profession...but I want to take the CA DMV ambulance dl test soon and was just wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on passing? I haven't found much useful info online....

whiteoleander28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Sapphyre
Community Leader Emeritus

Go to the DMV and spend the 5 bucks on the ambulance driver handbook. Then read it, the whole thing. Twice. Then, maybe, if you're still iffy, read it again. After that, AMR EVOC has an online practice test. Take that until you pass it 100%. By then, you should pass the ambulance driver test.
Sapphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
MMiz
Community Leader
I put the M in EMTLife

I don't know much about California's Ambulance Driver Written Exam, but it looks like AMR has an online practice test. Some people in the past have mentioned that you can go to the DMV and for a nominal fee get a ambulance driver handbook. That seems like a good investment. Good luck!

MMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
whiteoleander28
Forum Probie

Thanks guys...I actually did come across the practice test by AMR so I have those answers, I just wasn't sure how many of those questions, if any, would actually be on one of the DMV tests....thanks again
whiteoleander28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #5
Sapphyre

I'll say this, if all you use is the practice test, you won't pass. But, it is VERY helpful.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
MattCA
Forum Crew Member

I have a friend that just texted me saying hes about to take it. He said you get three tries to pass it. I'm hearing about having to do another live scan, emt cert., and physical.

Last edited by MattCA; 09-09-2008 at 03:14 PM.
MattCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Sapphyre

Yes, Matt, Another Live Scan. You also need a DOT physical. This is NOT just a doctor's note, it's a full on physical, with a UA dip, and you get a nifty little green card. The live scan has to be on the DMV's form. You don't HAVE to have your EMT cert, but, if you don't, you'll get a 1 year temporary license, and you'll have to present your cert to renew it. Your county card works for this if you have one. The test isn't that bad, but you do need to read the handbook.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
EMTWintz
Forum Lieutenant

Is it customary to have to take a test to drive an ambul? I haven't heard of this. Is it just in certain states?
EMTWintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
JPINFV
Gadfly

Training: MS, EMT-B, OMS-4
Send a message via AIM to JPINFV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
Yes, Matt, Another Live Scan. You also need a DOT physical. This is NOT just a doctor's note, it's a full on physical, with a UA dip, and you get a nifty little green card. The live scan has to be on the DMV's form. You don't HAVE to have your EMT cert, but, if you don't, you'll get a 1 year temporary license, and you'll have to present your cert to renew it. Your county card works for this if you have one. The test isn't that bad, but you do need to read the handbook.
Oh, and pro tip with the urine analysis. Don't do heavy work like, say, moving furniture because you're changing apartments. You will have trace amounts of blood in the UA and will be invited back to get retested. >.<

Holy EMS Trinity: Backboard, oxygen, lights and sirens.
JPINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
MattCA
Forum Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPINFV View Post
Oh, and pro tip with the urine analysis. Don't do heavy work like, say, moving furniture because you're changing apartments. You will have trace amounts of blood in the UA and will be invited back to get retested. >.<
what about mountain biking? I do that every day or really often. Or horseback riding? Been doing a lot of that lately.
MattCA is offline   Reply With Quote