EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
emtds28
Forum Ride Along

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Best Boots for a guy with sweaty feet!

Hey everybody, I'm new here. Wanted input on boots. I've been in the business for 10 yrs and always struggle with finding the right boots. Any ideas. I'm a paramedic with a third service county ambulance in the mountains of colorado so I don't need fire protection. I prefer light weight boots, I just have problems with breathability! Thanks in advance for any input!

emtds28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
BossyCow
Forum Deputy Chief

Location: Rural (no... really, really rural) Washington State
Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtds28 View Post
Hey everybody, I'm new here. Wanted input on boots. I've been in the business for 10 yrs and always struggle with finding the right boots. Any ideas. I'm a paramedic with a third service county ambulance in the mountains of colorado so I don't need fire protection. I prefer light weight boots, I just have problems with breathability! Thanks in advance for any input!
In my experience, breathability is as much a sock issue as boots. There are several types with goretex or fabric insets on the sides or tops.

BossyCow,
EMT-B, CPR/AED Instructor, Wilderness First Aid Instructor, NASAR TechII, Wife, Mom, Damn good cook.
BossyCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
mikeylikesit
Candy Striper

dunno how to help except don't get waterproof boots, go with nylon sides and side zippers for better oxygenation.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Jon
Community Leader
Community Leader

Training: BS, NREMT-P
Send a message via AIM to Jon
Good socks are the solution... something 100% polypro is probably a good option.

Waterproof boots aren't a problem as long as the barrier is Goretex or Crosstech or similar.

The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer(s) / Companies or the organization(s) through which I access the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I can't wait until people actually know what we're talking about when they get called an LIV lol
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
mikeylikesit
Candy Striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Good socks are the solution... something 100% polypro is probably a good option.

Waterproof boots aren't a problem as long as the barrier is Goretex or Crosstech or similar.
well iwear combat boots with gortex lining and do not have a sweat problem...but i assume thats just cause i don't have a sweat problem.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
KEVD18
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit View Post
dunno how to help except don't get waterproof boots, go with nylon sides and side zippers for better oxygenation.
these can still be waterproof. its all in the details....

get some underarmor socks. they will wick the moisture up towards your calf to evaporate. those coupled with breathable boots should help you out.
KEVD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
emtds28
Forum Ride Along

Thanks for the input! I have had lots with the nylon insert sides and tops. Some are better than others, but none are that great. I got away from the all leather a long time ago. I will try the poly pro socks, works with skiing, don't know why I didn't think of it for work too! Thanks again for the ideas!
emtds28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Outbac1
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: Advance Care Paramed
If you don't need a steel toe try Altama's Issue Jungle boots. They have two small vents in the arch of each boot. This lets air go in and out with each step. However it also lets in water, (all boots will leak when you go over the top). Not really a problem in summer but too cold for winter(if you live where there is snow). They are very light weight. The military issue boots also have a steel anti spike shim that could prove useful.

Advanced Care Paramedic
EHS Nova Scotia
Outbac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Dominion
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: Paramedic
Send a message via AIM to Dominion
I wear a gortex boot with side zipper, comes up above the ankles and a type of 'boot sock' that's designed to keep moisture up and out of the boot. I have no problems with this and I'm a very sweaty guy.....unfortunately for me and my uniforms.
Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
seshan
Forum Crew Member

you cant go wrong with the 'Tims!

seshan is offline   Reply With Quote