EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
qqqa2
Forum Ride Along

emt drug test

i have to take a drug test soon for EMT class and i was curious if anyone had gone through this recently and knew what kind of drug test i will be taking

thanks alot

Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
MSDeltaFlt
Lawn Dart

Training: Flight/Critical Care
Odds are you'll be peeing in a cup semi-witnessed. The door might almost be closed so they can hear any unnecessary manipulation of the equipment. Thay way they can document it is your pee and not someone else's.

... I think.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Jon
Community Leader
Community Leader

Training: BS, NREMT-P
Send a message via AIM to Jon
Why does it matter? Are you trying to find out what they test for?

If you are using illegal drugs/narcotics (including prescription drugs not prescribed to YOU), you have NO buisness being in EMS. Get yourself under control, then think about coming back.

If you go to work pushing carts at Wal-Mart... they drug test you. If they are going to let you take care of sick and injured people in their most vulnerable times, why wouldn't they drug test you?

If you are asking because you have never been through a drug test before and are just curious... well, I'm not quite beliveing you, because you joined here and your first post is to ask about drug tests... which seems troll-ish, but here goes anyway:

I've taken urine drug screens (pee into a cup, either semi-witnessed or unwitnessed). I've also taken oral ETOH screens.
I've had friends that have had hair-follicle testing done for jobs.

The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer(s) / Companies or the organization(s) through which I access the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I can't wait until people actually know what we're talking about when they get called an LIV lol
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
mdkemt
Forum Lieutenant

Training: Primary Care Paramed
Send a message via MSN to mdkemt
Cool

What does it matter anyways?
Drug testing... I agree with Jon. If you have nothing to hide whats the big deal. If you do then you shouldnt be taking care of people.
Any job I have ever started at I have pee'd in a cup semi-witnessed had blood drawn and had to fork over a criminal record check and drivers abstract. Standard procedures. Most places also like this for insurance purposes.

MDKEMT
Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
emtwacker710
Forum Captain

Training: EMT-Paramedic
I didnt have to take a drug test for my emt class or vol. agency, although I did have to get a physical and TB test before I started my 10 hours of clinical time, but for the FD I had to pee in a cup so they could test my pH levels and do a whole slew of other things, but I haven't had a drg test yet..

Firefighter/EMT-P
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
LH4B
Forum Ride Along

Training: WFFT2/EMT-D
Did not have to take a drug test for EMT, but did have to take one for the fire department. They sent me to the hospital to have it done and then fax the results over. They just made me empty my pockets before going into the bathroom, and then its just pee in the cup and don't flush the toilet or run the sink.

Drug-wise they checked for EtOH, Marijuana, Opiates, etc...

Last edited by LH4B; 05-20-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
BossyCow
Forum Deputy Chief

Location: Rural (no... really, really rural) Washington State
Training: EMT-Basic
For government drug tests, there isn't a sink. They also tint the toilet water so it can't be used to dilute a sample. The test also tests for temperature, so you can't substitute pee you bring in, unless you have a way of keeping it warm. Depending on the test, it also has to meet certain requirements of solids. If the sample is believed to be too dilute, they may ask you to retest.

Drug tests have been cheated on in every way imaginable and in the interest of accuracy, the tests have been designed to work around the devious minds of the truly addicted, not just the recreational pot smoker. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, some facilities choose the test or testing facility based more on economics than accuracy, resulting in inaccurate results.

There are a lot of urban legends out there about how to 'beat' a drug test. Most of them are based on "I know this guy, who knew somebody......" Most drug tests are not given without advance warning. If you do partake of certain recreational chemical substances, then all you have to do is abstain until the substance is out of your system and then take the test. If you are unable to put aside the desire to imbibe for a few short weeks in order to get a job, perhaps you should examine how badly you want the job.

There are companies who don't care and don't test. But most of those who pay the best will require at least a pre-employment screening and some will have random tests throughout your period of hire.

So, without getting into the whole 'is recreational drug use a bad thing in an EMS provider'... debate, these are facts regarding how the system generally works.

BossyCow,
EMT-B, CPR/AED Instructor, Wilderness First Aid Instructor, NASAR TechII, Wife, Mom, Damn good cook.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
CFRBryan347768
Forum Captain

Training: Certified First Resp
Send a message via AIM to CFRBryan347768 Send a message via Yahoo to CFRBryan347768
Why did some people jump down this person's throat? What happened to curosity?

"The secret is to make your mind work for you -- not against you."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
KEVD18
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFRBryan347768 View Post
Why did some people jump down this person's throat? What happened to curosity?
because of the intent, or the presumed intent, behind the question. people who dont use dont care what kind of test. people who do use care because there are different ways to supposedly beat different tests.

you can be curious about a lot of things, but curiosity about this is synonymous with a drug user.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
CFRBryan347768
Forum Captain

Training: Certified First Resp
Send a message via AIM to CFRBryan347768 Send a message via Yahoo to CFRBryan347768
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVD18 View Post
because of the intent, or the presumed intent, behind the question. people who dont use dont care what kind of test. people who do use care because there are different ways to supposedly beat different tests.

you can be curious about a lot of things, but curiosity about this is synonymous with a drug user.
Ok Lets break this down. I at one point asked the SAME question. My Intenet was to know what it was for, what they were testing. I wasn't using, but I still cared. And lastly I know about 3 or 4 diffrent ways to attempt to trick the test and I still DON'T use. My point is people can JUST be curious.

"The secret is to make your mind work for you -- not against you."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
Closed Thread