EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > The Break Room > Did That Just Happen?

Did That Just Happen? For all those great calls that you just have to share. We all have loads of 'em, share!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
daveg
Forum Ride Along

Patient Question

Hello, I am not a paramedic, so i apologize in advance for writing on your forum but it seemed like the only place to have my question answered accurately.

I am a 17 year old high school student and feel as though I was mistreated and almost abused by paramedics, I'm just wondering if what they did to me is standard protocol or malpractice.

here is my story...

I was is class when I suddenly had a seizure. I ended up falling and cutting my head pretty bad and briefly losing consciousness. When I regained consciousness the school nurse and principal were treating me, minutes later paramedics arrived. The paramedics stethed my chest, then put both a neck brace and oxygen mask on me. They then began cutting off my clothing, they cut away my shirt, pants and uderwear. They even removed my shoes and socks. I uderstand that sometimes clothig needs to be removed, but I was fully conscious and able to move all my limbs, and to top it off my school nurse and principal were still in the room. They then strapped me to a backboard and didn't cover me up until they lifted me up onto the stretcher.

Once i was in the ambulance, the paramedic removed my covers again she gave me a full pysical workup including a pelvic, is this at all needed? She didn't cover me up untill we arrived at the e.r.

Im not an expert, from what I have read there was no need for all of that to be done, I'm hoping that some of you REAL paramedics can give me insight into whether or not this is proper procedure.

Thanks for your time.
Please post back or e-mail me

Last edited by ffemt8978; 02-06-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Remove e-mail address
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Emt /b/
Forum Crew Member

Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
Hello, I am not a paramedic, so i apologize in advance for writing on your forum but it seemed like the only place to have my question answered accurately.

I am a 17 year old high school student and feel as though I was mistreated and almost abused by paramedics, I'm just wondering if what they did to me is standard protocol or malpractice.

here is my story...

I was is class when I suddenly had a seizure. I ended up falling and cutting my head pretty bad and briefly losing consciousness. When I regained consciousness the school nurse and principal were treating me, minutes later paramedics arrived. The paramedics stethed my chest, then put both a neck brace and oxygen mask on me. They then began cutting off my clothing, they cut away my shirt, pants and uderwear. They even removed my shoes and socks. I uderstand that sometimes clothig needs to be removed, but I was fully conscious and able to move all my limbs, and to top it off my school nurse and principal were still in the room. They then strapped me to a backboard and didn't cover me up until they lifted me up onto the stretcher.

Once i was in the ambulance, the paramedic removed my covers again she gave me a full pysical workup including a pelvic, is this at all needed? She didn't cover me up untill we arrived at the e.r.

Im not an expert, from what I have read there was no need for all of that to be done, I'm hoping that some of you REAL paramedics can give me insight into whether or not this is proper procedure.

Thanks for your time.
Please post back or e-mail me *removed*
Yeah...there was really no need to cut off all of your clothes. Or any of them, really.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
RavenMaster
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-B Student
Send a message via AIM to RavenMaster Send a message via MSN to RavenMaster Send a message via Yahoo to RavenMaster
yeah, i cannot see just cause for that.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
TheMowingMonk
Forum Lieutenant

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Send a message via AIM to TheMowingMonk
yeah unless you had some bleeding or tenderness in other areas, they really didnt need to cut you clothes off, c-collar and O2 were find cause you fell and hit your head, but it does seem like them cutting off all your clothes was excessive, specially the underwear, most of the time its a last resort to remove that unless the injury directly affects it.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
seanm028
Forum Lieutenant

Training: US Army Medic
Do you know if they were EMT-B (Basics) or EMT-Ps (Paramedics)? If you don't know for sure, do you remember if one of them started an IV? Did they put you on a heart monitor?

I can understand cutting off a shirt, but I'm not positive about the rest. On the other hand, they were probably just trying to be thorough, and they might have had some reason (unknown to you) to suspect further injury. I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially because it can be a little intimidating (especially for a new EMT-Basic) to be making instant decisions that can have huge ramifications.
seanm028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
JPINFV
Gadfly

Training: MS, EMT-B, OMS-4
Send a message via AIM to JPINFV
I'll second the "cutting off the clothes was not needed" crowd. There probably are cases, though, where new EMTs (B or P) take the "expose" part of the trauma assessment too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
Either this thread is a troll and full of BS or there's an EMT someplace that needs to be in jail. To the best of my knowledge, pelvic exams are not taught at any level of EMS and have no use in the prehospital environment.

Holy EMS Trinity: Backboard, oxygen, lights and sirens.
JPINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
bstone
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: EMT-Intermediate
Send a message via AIM to bstone
Jail???

Perhaps she wantes to visualize any injuries. I have never cut away the clothing of any seizure paitients unless there has been tenderness, deformity, bleeding, etc . Perhaps it's their protocols? No harm in being extra careful.

Surely there was no criminal intent. Why the rush to judgement?
bstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
VentMedic
Forum Chief

Training: RRT/EMT-P
How does a male(?) 17 y/o non-medical person define "a pelvic"?

Do you have a history of seizures?

Do those around you know you have seizures?

Do you wear any type of medical alert ID?

How did the call did phoned in as?

What did the witnesses say that might suspect other injuries?

Did they check for signs of a spinal injury by check sensation, movement and asking questions along that line?

What type of furniture was around you when you fell?

Since none of us were at the scene with you it is hard to second guess what another medical professional is thinking or seeing when they assessed the area around you. It is also always bad to take a bleeding patient to the ED and find that the obvious injury was a distraction from another injury.

I see you are posting this on different forums. Is there more to this than curiosity? Do you have any interest in pursuing this further?
VentMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
TheMowingMonk
Forum Lieutenant

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Send a message via AIM to TheMowingMonk
yeah im feeling the Pelvic exam might just be checking for tenderness, he might be thinking of a pelvic exam like a doctor does and think its the same thing. What did they do for this pelvic exam?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
*ofLife
Forum Crew Member

Send a message via AIM to *ofLife
Smile

Hmm...

I am also a 17 year old female from Wisconsin. After being involved in several serious accidents, I decided that being an EMT was my calling and will be attending EMT-B training this summer.

One of my many terrible experiences was being involved in a head-on collision on a busy county road. A female not much older than myself who was under the influence of some OTC drugs, crossed the centerline and collided with my vehicle going a little under 60 mph.

My ankle was crushed into over a hundred pieces (my foot was on the break when we collided), the skin on my knee was basically cauterized, and my wrist was dislocated from the air bag.

The EMTs were from my home town, and I knew half of them on a first name basis, and trusted them with my life. They also stripped me of all my clothing in the middle of the hospital and left me that way for quite some time before finally covering me with a thin sheet. Though I understand it may have been much more appropriate in my situation, I was caught off guard as well, but just happy to be okay and appreciated their help and concern.

Was it a necessary act? Probably not. But it can be justified. The important thing is that you're okay, and I'm sure your well-being is the only thing that remains on the mind's of the individuals that may have gotten a glimpse of your bare-ness.

I hope that helps
Don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions about my experience(s)

(White Cloud)

"Walk with a purpose, and you will collide with destiny"
*ofLife is offline   Reply With Quote