EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
MMiz
Community Leader
I put the M in EMTLife

Training: EMT-Basic
Ever Drop a Patient?

I've never actually dropped a patient, but I've heard many stories of medics that have. It usually involves a balance problem with the stretcher / stair chair.

One medic hit a bit pothole in the ground with a patient on the stretcher, and the stretcher overturned. Thankfully no one has been dropped down the stairs, but there have been some close calls.

Anyone have any good stories?

MMiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
firecoins
IFT Puppet

Training: NY EMT-P
I know EMTs injured because one person could not handle the weight.

I am working out now to prevent either person from being me.

My opinions are not my own. They directly represent the opinions of the management of an agency I am not connected to in any way.
firecoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Emtgirl21
Forum Lieutenant

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Send a message via Yahoo to Emtgirl21
Right when I first started workin in EMS. It was an early sunday morning and I was transporting a male pt in his like 80's for possible cardiac problems.....Well my partener was pulling the cot out and the under carriage didnt lock.....i tried to catch it and the cot went to the ground and i ended up under it. If he wasnt having a heart attack before he was then. I got out with some NICE bruises.... He remained securly on the cot....on top of me. Lucky no one saw us.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
rgnoon
Forum Lieutenant

In 1993, during a game against the New York Rangers, Dallas Stars player Mike Modano took a clip from Mark Messier on ice. He was taken off ice with spinal immobilization precautions taken. MSG had a camera follow the EMTs with the stretcher off-ice to the ambulance where they attempted to load him into the rig but managed to drop him to the floor...all on live tv. Our course coordinator showed us the video of the drop multiple times during class, and I'm still trying to find it. As soon as I can, I will post a link here...but until then, here's another one.

Soccer Player Dropped!
rgnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
VentMedic
Forum Chief

Training: RRT/EMT-P
Dropped a Rabbi.

This was in 1980s, we had just gotten one of those new fangled stretchers like the ME was using. My partner didn't wait for me to lock the legs down as he pulled it out of the ambulance. The Rabbi stayed secure on the stretcher. No injuries. No blessings either.
VentMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
RedZone
Forum Lieutenant

I have a little theory: if you haven't dropped a patient, you either haven't been in the field long enough or you're just a liar. And before anyone flames me, don't take that comment too seriously

It used to happen a little more often before the "one & a half man" stretchers became standard. Uhm... I mean it never happened... ever.

Back during my first year, I was dropping off a patient at a nursing home. My partner must have slipped or whatever the case was... but as we pulled the stretcher out of the ambulance, it just landed sideways. To make things worse, the entire front of the nursing home was clear glass and the lobby was packed with people including about 10 administrators.

The patient was strapped in good, never hit his head, had no injuries whatsoever, and laughed harder than I heard anyone laugh before. Somehow, not one person in the lobby saw a thing. The patient was just like, "I'm ok, that was kind of fun actually!".
Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
babygirl2882
Forum Captain

I think its great when people can laugh at their mistakes, it even better when the patient can too ...I havn't ever helped with a patient (duh because I'm just a rider) but they have let me put the stretcher in the back after we reloaded and I alsmost droped it then so...I think I need more practice lol

Car Seat Technician, Structure FF, Wildland FF, EMT-Basic. Soon to be: AHA Healthcare Provider CPR/First Aid Instructor, Rope Rescue
babygirl2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 AM   #8
eggshen
Forum Lieutenant

All I can say is this...if they do fall, DO NOT try to catch them!

Egg
eggshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:53 AM   #9
MMiz
Community Leader
I put the M in EMTLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggshen View Post
All I can say is this...if they do fall, DO NOT try to catch them!

Egg
I know two paramedics who can no longer work the road because of trying to save a patient/cot from falling.

MMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 AM   #10
Airwaygoddess
Community Leader Emeritus
Community Leader Emeritus

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentMedic View Post
Dropped a Rabbi.

This was in 1980s, we had just gotten one of those new fangled stretchers like the ME was using. My partner didn't wait for me to lock the legs down as he pulled it out of the ambulance. The Rabbi stayed secure on the stretcher. No injuries. No blessings either.
Oy Veh!!
Airwaygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote