EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
djarmpit
Forum Lieutenant

Starting my application for UCLA Paramedic Program

I'm starting my application for the january session and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or stories regarding what they've heard or their experiences from attending this program. Thanks!

djarmpit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
luke_31
Forum Crew Member

Training: EMT-Paramedic
What do you want to know? It is a good solid program, you are going to be busy all through didactic. Definitely plan on having little outside life during the program in general.
luke_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
djarmpit
Forum Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_31 View Post
What do you want to know? It is a good solid program, you are going to be busy all through didactic. Definitely plan on having little outside life during the program in general.
Any advice you feel a new student should know! I really dont know hwat to ask
djarmpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
slewy
Forum Lieutenant

Training: EMT-Basic
I was considering applying for the January term too. How did you do on the entrance exam?
slewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
luke_31
Forum Crew Member

Read the books before class starts. That way you know what questions you have. It also helps to have a good place to study all the material that you learn everyday. I haven't taken their new entrance exam but if it like the last, study your EMT book and brush up on math and english for the HOBET test. Also it helps to have taken the paramedic prep course.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
MunchkinMedic
Forum Crew Member

I went to Freeman/UCLA & just graduated. They gave my class the new exam as a practice, so feel free to PM me with any questions you have
MunchkinMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
aquabear
Forum Probie

Training: BA, NRP
The January and September classes usually have the least spots for private students and the process is more competitive. I would recommend getting experience in the 911 setting and apply for the May class which traditionally has had the most spots for private students. During the admissions process for the May 2013 class they interviewed 90+ applicants for 40 seats.
aquabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
RocketMedic
Just Like Otters!

My dad did Daniel Freeman in 1990.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
ExpatMedic0
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: NRP, CCEMT-P
I was just browsing the UCLA Paramedic program website. UCLA ranks within the top 50 universities in the world, so I was surprised to find they do not offer a degree option for Paramedics? Perhaps I missed something on the website? Do you still have to take the SAT's/ACT and be accepted into UCLA before you can apply to their Paramedic program?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
luke_31
Forum Crew Member

UCLA Paramedic program is attached to the School of Medicine but it is a loose attachment. You apply to the paramedic program seperate from the main campus. The credits for the program come from West LA community college, it's done like this to keep the cost down. When I went there it was explained that if it went through the university for everything the per unit credit cost would be really expensive and the paramedic program would cost more than it does now. Also UCLA took over the paramedic program from Daniel Freeman Hospital in the 90's and kept it as a loose affiliation with the school.