EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > ALS Discussion

ALS Discussion For all that stuff specifically related to ALS including EMT-I and EMT-P related discussion.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Gents82
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-Basic
Math for ALS

BLS here with a question in regard to the math expectancies of a paramedic. I want to go to a paramedic program as prepared as possible to make the studies run a hair smoother so I'm thinking of taking a few math courses to help me prepare. I hear that paramedics use math for medicine calculations and such. Maybe more? I don't have a clue. Can anyone tell me what kind of math classes would be best to take? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Gents82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Guardian
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: Critical Care Paramedic
You need to know basic arithmetic. Being proficient at the basic algebra level might help a little but really isn't necessary.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
rescuecpt
Community Leader Emeritus
Community Leader Emeritus

Training: EMT-Intermediate
Send a message via AIM to rescuecpt
Know your fractions, that is important, for example, finding lowest common denominators, multiplying fractions, etc. Also, basic algebra is a good thing, because a lot of drug math is taking what you have and comparing it to what you need to figure out how much to give.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Guardian
Forum Asst. Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecpt
Know your fractions, that is important, for example, finding lowest common denominators, multiplying fractions, etc. Also, basic algebra is a good thing, because a lot of drug math is taking what you have and comparing it to what you need to figure out how much to give.
good point
Old 08-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Ridryder911
EMS Guru

Training: RN, BSN, CCP
Most math for pharmacology is actually performed at a Algebra equation. For example to set a Dopamine drip one must first perform weight conversion, concentration mixture, then figure drip chamber to get drops per minute, then if they are really profient, number of micro drops per 15 seconds.

As my Paramedic professor always taught us, it does not matter how you get the equation, as long it is right every time... this is what you are putting in your patent's vein.. yes, a mess up can kill some one .

R/r 911
Old 08-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
Guardian
Forum Asst. Chief

Rids right as usual. I just want to make one last point. EMTs and others ask me about ems math all the time because they're afraid of it. To anyone reading this, please don't let your math anxiety forestall your aspiration of becoming a paramedic. The math we use isn't as hard as you think. If you can learn a couple of simple formulas and then plug in the numbers and do the arithmetic (add, subtract, multiply, and divide), you'll be fine. If your still worried about it, google it (ems math) and see for yourself. If your wondering what math classes to take as prerequisites, I would recommend having a good grasp of all the pre-algebra concepts. Although not necessary, if you have time, take a basic algebra class because overkill in this case couldn't hurt.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
ResTech
Forum Asst. Chief

Dopamine is simple -
dose (mcg) x weight(kg) x drip set (60gtts)

Total concentration pre-hospital is normally always 1600mcg as 400mg Dopamine in 250cc NSS = 1600mcg. Memorize!

Or be smarter yet and use a chart! All those conversions are essential for written tests but you dont have time to calculate all that in the field... keep it as intuitive and simple as possible.

Lidocaine is simpler yet - 1-4mg/min based on a clock using a 60gtts set.
15gtts - 1mg/min
30gtts - 2mg/min
45gtts - 3mg/min
60gtts - 4mg/min

Again, usually always 2g in 500cc which is 4mg/ml.

To many ppl want to make it harder then it has to be.
ResTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
Ridryder911
EMS Guru

Training: RN, BSN, CCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResTech View Post
Dopamine is simple -
dose (mcg) x weight(kg) x drip set (60gtts)

Total concentration pre-hospital is normally always 1600mcg as 400mg Dopamine in 250cc NSS = 1600mcg. Memorize!

Or be smarter yet and use a chart! All those conversions are essential for written tests but you dont have time to calculate all that in the field... keep it as intuitive and simple as possible.

Lidocaine is simpler yet - 1-4mg/min based on a clock using a 60gtts set.
15gtts - 1mg/min
30gtts - 2mg/min
45gtts - 3mg/min
60gtts - 4mg/min

Again, usually always 2g in 500cc which is 4mg/ml.

To many ppl want to make it harder then it has to be.
I agree... but the problem is NOT ALL CONCENTRATIONS ARE THE SAME... the above calculations is based upon local protocol concentrations. Many, do not use the 1600 mcg/ml concentrations Dopamine nor the 4mg/ml Lidocaine concentration... So do not presume or assume all medications are mixed alike... That is why having a fully and understandable math for pharmacology is essential for anyone allowed providing care using medications.

True, not harder just know how to perform the job ...

Last edited by Ridryder911; 09-02-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Ridryder911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
mikie
Premium Member
Forum Lurker

Training: CCEMTP
Question Medic Math

So math has never really been my forté ...and I am going on beyond Basic so I would like to know in the medic (and for an RNs out there) setting, what kind of math is involved and is it very difficult?

A calculator is the last thing I want to have strapped to my belt! Just kidding. I'm not really that bad but would like to know what kind of math I'm getting into.

Thanks!
mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
mikeylikesit
Candy Striper

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Multiplication, division, addition and subtraction. basic algebra for drug doses. Conversion of weights and volumes and decimal conversion to fractions are essential. A calculator no but your field guide will help you out immensely.

Just one decimal point can mean the difference between life and death, between helping and hurting.

Last edited by mikeylikesit; 06-09-2008 at 03:05 PM.
mikeylikesit is offline   Reply With Quote