EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > The Break Room > EMS Lounge

EMS Lounge Sit back, relax, and start up discussion with fellow medics. This is a perfect place for new users to make their introductions.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
NYMedic828
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: First Responder
Most practical way to advance to RN.

So I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about putting a jump start on my slow return to school.

I left college originally when FDNY called me for an EMT job which has since led to paramedic (on their dime) and hopefully a year from now firefighter.

I have no desire nor reason to leave FDNY until retirement.

That said I have roughly 30-40 liberal arts credits and I'd really like to slowly make my way down the line from RN to NP some day. (far away)

What's the most realistic way of doing this while working full time?

I don't know of any part time 4 year RN programs, but maybe start with LPN few classes here and there and work my way up?

Would love to hear from anyone else in the same position.

Last edited by NYMedic828; 06-02-2012 at 06:31 PM.
NYMedic828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Avenrii
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-Basic
Why LPN? In a lot of areas, LPNs are being phased out. Most colleges that I've seen (though admittedly I've not looked in your area), offer an associates degree in Nursing. After your A.D.N., you can get your B.S.N. online from an accredited college. I highly suggest Western Governors University at that point.

Here in Texas, there is a Paramedic certification to A.D.N.. The cert takes one year and going into the A.D.N. afterwards takes another year. This is what I've chosen to do, with WGU in mind for a B.S.N. after graduation.

As for working, it really depends. Do as many courses online as you can, and try to have a steady schedule. I've done college and two jobs at once before, and though it is difficult, it is workable with a routine.

Last edited by Avenrii; 06-02-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Avenrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
mycrofft
Still crazy but elsewhere

Look into the burgeoning field of adult education, some schools pride themselves for being friendly to part time students.
LPN is not step towards RN, just go for it.

AND I QUOTE: (seemingly mandatory citation)

http://www.emtlife.com/member.php?u=3511
mycrofft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Akulahawk
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: EMTP/RN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofft View Post
Look into the burgeoning field of adult education, some schools pride themselves for being friendly to part time students.
LPN is not step towards RN, just go for it.
LPN/LVN really isn't much of a step towards RN. If you're going to do RN, just do that program. Out here, most of the LVN to RN transition programs are 3 semesters long and the LVN programs are 3 semesters long... and RN is 4 semesters long. You "save" one semester in the RN program portion but you pay for it with 3 semesters...

Definitely look at adult education programs. They may have an RN program that is designed for the part-time student.

As to my particular plan, I'm in an ADN program. Once I graduate, I'll get into a post-bac or even a 2nd Bachelor's program and complete the BSN, and perhaps look at a MSN of some sort. If you already have a Bachelor's, you may consider an accelerated BSN program. Had that been a possibility, that would have been something I might have done... because I'd be done in 13 months (or about that) instead of 20-ish.
RN/ADN
School of Hard Knocks
Parent
Akulahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
mycrofft
Still crazy but elsewhere

Another name for the type of program Akulahawk is doing is "articulated baccalaureate". That's how mine was, youy earned your associate's degree and got yor license, then pressed on for the baccalaureate.

AND I QUOTE: (seemingly mandatory citation)

http://www.emtlife.com/member.php?u=3511
mycrofft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Pneumothorax
Forum Lieutenant

Training: EMT-Basic
All nurses. Com is a great site to look into that has the info u are prob looking for
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
flhtci01
Forum Captain

Training: NREMT-P, RN
Just graduated from a hybrid course with an ADN while working full time. (NCLEX in two weeks) It worked the best for me, especially with cooperative employers. Hopefully will find work shortly and then look into a BSN.

Hybrid - online classes with scheduled clinical time. I know of one paramedic that was doing online studies but no one would schedule clinical time for him.

Last edited by flhtci01; 06-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.
flhtci01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
mct601
Forum Captain

Training: NREMT-P
Send a message via AIM to mct601
Bridge course. Look for them, they are becoming more prevalent. Many CC's are allowing paramedics into LPN to RN bridge programs, and some are allowing medics to enter in as a 3rd semester student. Some are even mostly online. Colleges see the trend of EMS professionals going into nursing, and of course they will capitalize on it. I know many nurses in the ER, ICU, and air med setting who are products of the bridge courses and are great nurses.

As far as BSN, once you get your ADN from the bridge look for an online ADN to BSN bridge. We have one here at the University of Southern Miss (unless something has changed). Its entirely online, from what I understand the upper level classes in the BSN program are almost if not entirely didactic.

Good luck.
mct601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
JakeEMTP
Forum Captain

If you are in NY, try to go straight for the BSN. But, if you only want the title of RN and not wanting to work as one then it might be okay to do just an ADN. Your state is going to all BSN soon just like New Jersey. ADNs are having a hard time finding finding a job anywhere since the hospitals are only hiring BSNs now and there are alot of them. The ADN programs which are still around have a 2 - 3 year wait list after you make the requirements to apply. Don't know what good an LPN license would be in NY. But that would be a long route to take to get to RN.
JakeEMTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
Akulahawk
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: EMTP/RN
Being that your (OP) location is NYC and therefore, the State of NY, I would suggest looking for a BSN program as first and foremost, they're more likely to get RN jobs in that area than an RN that got an ADN. Also, you may wish to look at a Paramedic to ADN bridge course. They do exist and many states accept grads from those programs for RN licensing. California does have some colleges (two or three) that give Paramedics some credit toward RN, but typically they put the student through a short semester course (bridge course) and then the student begins the 2nd Semester of a 4 semester program, thus having to do 3 semesters.

Since you seem to have some college units, take your prereqs, get yourself ready for transfer to a 4 year, and start applying to their BSN program. Most of those are upper division (Junior and Senior years) and if everything goes right, you'll take a couple of upper division Gen Ed requirements and then your 4 semesters of Nursing School and you'll graduate in about the same time as you would have if you'd pursued an ADN.

As mycrofft said, the path I chose is an articulated BSN program, but that's because I already have a Bachelor's and I can get the ADN, take about 30 units of classes and graduate with a BSN about 1 year after completing my ADN, or I can take 4 classes (about 20 units) and prepare for entry to an MSN program. Those upper division courses that I would have to take are primarily didactic and do not have a clinical component as I will have already done that by then...

Really, had there been an Accelerated BSN program available to me, I probably would have jumped on it, precisely because I would be about 6 months from graduation as of right now rather than about 12...

Whatever you do, if you're contemplating RN, go for that and not LVN along the way unless that's part of what your specific program does. I know of an ADN program that takes their students through CNA, then to LVN, and then to RN over a 5 semester program. Yes, their students get LVN licensed. It's not efficient, but it does allow the possibility that their students could get some work as an LVN. At least this way, if the student fails the NCLEX - RN, they still have their LVN...
RN/ADN
School of Hard Knocks
Parent
Akulahawk is offline   Reply With Quote