EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > The Break Room > Ambulances and Equipment

Ambulances and Equipment Everything related to the ambulance and equipment that you use and see. Brag, ask questions, and share pictures of your equipment!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Rescue51
Forum Probie

Biophone

Do paramedics still use biophones, and are they still like the ones on "Emergency!", or are they more techy now??

~Rescue51

Rescue51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
fast65
Doogie Howser EMTP

Training: Paramedic, AAS EMS
No, no we do not. We don't usually call the hospital to ask about treatments, we have a set of standing orders dictating what we can and cannot do, and we have quite a broad range of treatments compared to what you've seen on Emergency.

That being said, we do on occasion, still have to call the hospital for orders, and we can use the radio or our cell phones for that.
Fast you have to date! If our race is to survive we'll need your ageless dimpled doogie howser like genes. Procreate damn you!
fast65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
medicdan
Premium+ Member
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: NRP
Send a message via AIM to medicdan Send a message via Skype™ to medicdan
... A lot has changed since the mid 1970s, and trust me, we do have advanced communication technologies. I'd venture to guess you have a modern day "biophone" in your pocket right now.
In all seriousness, many areas have moved away from "mother may I" medicine, and paramedics function on standing orders allowing them to use many of the treatments in their arsenal without on-line medical control approval.

With that said, we do have the ability to communicate with the hospital for consultation with a physician (generally an attending trained in EMS protocols), Entry Notes (letting the hospital know we're en route, with a broad sense of patient presentation, facility dependent), and/or for approval for rarely-used or complicated treatments.

We have the ability to communicate verbally with the hospital by cell phone (generally on a dedicated, recorded line), via radio (in my area, coordinated through a central "CMED" dispatcher), and with telemetry (also region specific). Paramedics generally interpret live cardiac rythms, and in some areas need to transmit 12-lead electrocardiograms for ED/Cardiology interpretation of an ST-Elevation MI (Heart Attack).
For that, we generally use cell phone data connections or the internet.

Beginning a few years ago, the NEMSIS data requirements became standard in many areas, so more services are moving to electronic patient care reporting solutions (as opposed to paper reports, not seen on Emergency), and EDs generally get a faxed report within a few minutes of the crew finishing, whether they're still at the ED or not.

I know it's hard to believe, but the TV show you idolize is not a perfect picture of pre-hospital care, and a lot has changed in the years since it went off the air.

Good Luck!
medicdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Rescue51
Forum Probie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt.dan View Post
... A lot has changed since the mid 1970s, and trust me, we do have advanced communication technologies. I'd venture to guess you have a modern day "biophone" in your pocket right now.
In all seriousness, many areas have moved away from "mother may I" medicine, and paramedics function on standing orders allowing them to use many of the treatments in their arsenal without on-line medical control approval.

With that said, we do have the ability to communicate with the hospital for consultation with a physician (generally an attending trained in EMS protocols), Entry Notes (letting the hospital know we're en route, with a broad sense of patient presentation, facility dependent), and/or for approval for rarely-used or complicated treatments.

We have the ability to communicate verbally with the hospital by cell phone (generally on a dedicated, recorded line), via radio (in my area, coordinated through a central "CMED" dispatcher), and with telemetry (also region specific). Paramedics generally interpret live cardiac rythms, and in some areas need to transmit 12-lead electrocardiograms for ED/Cardiology interpretation of an ST-Elevation MI (Heart Attack).
For that, we generally use cell phone data connections or the internet.

Beginning a few years ago, the NEMSIS data requirements became standard in many areas, so more services are moving to electronic patient care reporting solutions (as opposed to paper reports, not seen on Emergency), and EDs generally get a faxed report within a few minutes of the crew finishing, whether they're still at the ED or not.

I know it's hard to believe, but the TV show you idolize is not a perfect picture of pre-hospital care, and a lot has changed in the years since it went off the air.

Good Luck!
Cool!!! I had a feeling biophones weren't used, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Rescue51
Forum Probie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast65 View Post
No, no we do not. We don't usually call the hospital to ask about treatments, we have a set of standing orders dictating what we can and cannot do, and we have quite a broad range of treatments compared to what you've seen on Emergency.

That being said, we do on occasion, still have to call the hospital for orders, and we can use the radio or our cell phones for that.
Thank you!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Aidey
Community Leader
Forum Deputy Chiefette

Training: Paramedic
WTF is a biophone?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
DEmedic
Community Leader
Stooge

Training: NREMT-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidey View Post
WTF is a biophone?
It was the Orange Box UHF radio that Johnny and Roy used to contact OLMC at Rampart on the TV show Emergency.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
firetender
Community Leader Emeritus
Community Leader Emeritus

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by n7lxi View Post
It was the Orange Box UHF radio that Johnny and Roy used to contact OLMC at Rampart on the TV show Emergency.
Biophone was the Orange Box's(Motorola APCOR) father. It was actually a radio-transmitter/receiver/telemetry unit that you could have voice communication with a physician WHILE you ran a Three-lead EKG through it.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Rescue51
Forum Probie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetender View Post
Biophone was the Orange Box's(Motorola APCOR) father.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
mycrofft
Still crazy but elsewhere

Not too shabby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biophone
15 min recharge time, remote/little or vehicle/big antenna use. NOT programmable, you plugged in crystals for each freq.
However, probably short range, initially no relay capability through vehicle, and NiCad batteries have their own set of issues.
Remember, Johnny and Roy had no transport capability. It was them and the doctor, so a phone was very important.

PS: I worked where we had acoustic coupler modems to send out EKG's (warbling analog tone) via standard phone landline to an EKG interp company as late as 1999.

AND I QUOTE: (seemingly mandatory citation)

http://www.emtlife.com/member.php?u=3511

Last edited by mycrofft; 04-17-2012 at 11:28 AM.
mycrofft is offline   Reply With Quote