EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Chief Complaint
Forum Captain

Polygraph Testing

Not sure how common Polygraph testing is among agencies across the nation, but its part of the hiring process in every county near me. Just looking for some insight as to what i should expect. Unfortunately, i have a fairly extensive drug experimentation history, and i have been asked to explain all of this as part of the application process. My answers will be verified on a polygraph test should i make it to that stage of hiring.

The easy answer is obvsiouly, just tell the truth, but im afraid that i may be disqualified based on my history. Id hate to lie on the test but i fear that honesty may not be the best policy in this case. In your opinions, should i be completely forthcoming in answering these questions? Or do you think i should maybe leave some information out? Ive never used any injectable drugs, but ive experimented with just about everything else. Most was over 10 years ago but i was a pretty regular pot smoker up until about 2 years ago.

Any advice is appreciated.

Chief Complaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
medichopeful
Scientia est lux lucis

Training: BSN, RN, EMT-B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Complaint View Post
Not sure how common Polygraph testing is among agencies across the nation, but its part of the hiring process in every county near me. Just looking for some insight as to what i should expect. Unfortunately, i have a fairly extensive drug experimentation history, and i have been asked to explain all of this as part of the application process. My answers will be verified on a polygraph test should i make it to that stage of hiring.

The easy answer is obvsiouly, just tell the truth, but im afraid that i may be disqualified based on my history. Id hate to lie on the test but i fear that honesty may not be the best policy in this case. In your opinions, should i be completely forthcoming in answering these questions? Or do you think i should maybe leave some information out? Ive never used any injectable drugs, but ive experimented with just about everything else. Most was over 10 years ago but i was a pretty regular pot smoker up until about 2 years ago.

Any advice is appreciated.
What agency are you looking at? PM me if you're more comfortable

The opinions and views expressed by me are mine and not those of my employers.
medichopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
HotelCo
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: NREMT-Paramedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by medichopeful View Post
What agency are you looking at? PM me if you're more comfortable
Or just post three agencies, with two being decoys.

Just be up front about it. Are you a meth head right now? No? Then you're fine. Honesty goes a long way during a job interview.

HotelCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Lifeguards For Life
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: .... I Forgot
I would be honest
Lifeguards For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
medichopeful
Scientia est lux lucis

Training: BSN, RN, EMT-B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotelCo View Post
Or just post three agencies, with two being decoys.

Just be up front about it. Are you a meth head right now? No? Then you're fine. Honesty goes a long way during a job interview.

Ahh, reminds me of the "2 truths and a lie" game

The opinions and views expressed by me are mine and not those of my employers.
medichopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
i5adam8
Forum Crew Member

Training: EMT-Paramedic
I can't believe these agencies are actually using Polygraph testing for hiring purposes. It has been proven that these kinds of "lie detector" tests are completely unreliable and CAN be beaten. There is a reason they are not upheld in a court of law.
i5adam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
Lifeguards For Life
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: .... I Forgot
Quote:
Originally Posted by i5adam8 View Post
I can't believe these agencies are actually using Polygraph testing for hiring purposes. .
I can. It's EMS.

"EMS: 100-something years or tradition unimpeded by progress"

Polygraph testing is the least of the worrisome outdated shenanigans from the stone age that EMS clings too
Lifeguards For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
fortsmithman
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: Not Enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by i5adam8 View Post
I can't believe these agencies are actually using Polygraph testing for hiring purposes. It has been proven that these kinds of "lie detector" tests are completely unreliable and CAN be beaten. There is a reason they are not upheld in a court of law.
I just did a quick internet search on this subjesct and copied and pasted the following from http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...-in-court.html

What are the State Laws Concerning Polygraph Admissibility?
Almost every state fits into one of two categories; those that find them completely inadmissible and those that allow their admission with "the stipulations of both parties" (meaning both you and the prosecutor agree to admit the test results as evidence).

States like California, Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, and Florida allow the tests if everyone agrees to them, but may put different emphasis on the tests accuracy.

California, for instance, presents the results to the jury, and allows them to draw whatever inferences from it they wish.
Georgia, on the other hand, allows defendants who suffer damage because of a false result on a polygraph test (which are somewhat frequent) to sue the polygraph operator for damages and attorneys fees.
Florida is the one state that does require some people to submit to polygraph tests (previously convicted sex offenders), but even then those test results cannot be used against them in court, and are for use only within the course of their therapy.

The states in which polygraphs are inadmissible include New York, Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia. In these states, even if both parties wish to enter polygraph test results into evidence, it is forbidden (except in very rare scenarios).

Some states, like New York and Texas, forbid their use completely in all employment and law enforcement contexts.
Other states, like Massechussettes, do not allow them to be entered as evidence, but CAN use them as supporting probable cause (to obtain search warrants).

So as you can see polygraphs may be admitted into evidence under certain conditions.
fortsmithman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
Aprz
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: Paramedic intern
Be honest.
Aprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
akflightmedic
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: Lil' of this n that
Polygraphs and Voice stress analyzer (VSA) are very common in fire departments in Florida. Unfortunately they are completely legal despite their inaccuracy as the results are interpreted by the polygrapher...talk about a subjective test! He could just be having a bad day...

There are some very long and very informative threads about this very topic on firehouse.com. I do not typically reroute traffic to another site but this is where you are going to find YEARS worth of threads and experiences on this very topic.