EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > Education and Training

Education and Training The latest information on E.M.S. education and training.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Strokin&SmokinGirl97
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-Basic
paramedic degree vs certificate?

Im trying to find the pro and cons of getting a paramedic degree or certificate, the schooing ; for a certificate is about half of what a degree would take and i dont want everything crammed into a short amount of time, and i want the best schooling. Im also wondering what the chances for hiring are. Anyone have any insight?

Strokin&SmokinGirl97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
medicRob
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: RN, MSN, ACNP-BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin&SmokinGirl97 View Post
Im trying to find the pro and cons of getting a paramedic degree or certificate, the schooing ; for a certificate is about half of what a degree would take and i dont want everything crammed into a short amount of time, and i want the best schooling. Im also wondering what the chances for hiring are. Anyone have any insight?
Degree programs are eligible for Federal funding. Degree programs have general education requirements resulting in the student getting a more rounded education. Degree programs offer articulation and transfer opportunities to other programs. These are just a few things.
medicRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Strokin&SmokinGirl97
Forum Probie

I was actually surprised at the curriculum of the degree really there aren't alot of general education classes mainly english no math or science, and it is considered a science major haha
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
medicRob
Forum Deputy Chief

Quote:
I was actually surprised at the curriculum of the degree really there aren't alot of general education classes mainly english no math or science, and it is considered a science major haha
Bachelors and Associates degree programs differ greatly in the general education requirements. This is true in many degree programs, not just EMS.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Strokin&SmokinGirl97
Forum Probie

How easy is it to become an RN after becoming a paramedic i've heard a little bit about bridge over classes, but not much..
Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
nwhitney
Forum Captain

Training: Medic-Student
Quote:
I'd go degree. From my understanding (I could be wrong) more and more places are requiring a degree. They do here in Oregon for Paramedics. While in reality there may not be much of a difference between the two there is a perceived difference and the degree holder often has advantage over someone with a certification.
nwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
medicRob
Forum Deputy Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhitney View Post
I'd go degree. From my understanding (I could be wrong) more and more places are requiring a degree. They do here in Oregon for Paramedics. While in reality there may not be much of a difference between the two there is a perceived difference and the degree holder often has advantage over someone with a certification.
Not really. 90% of services pay degreed medics the same as non-degree. This might change in the future. The question to ask yourself is, are you okay with the absolute minimum? Why not expand your knowledge and bring a more informed care to the field? I got my AAS in paramedicine, so I am not speaking blindly on the topic.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Strokin&SmokinGirl97
Forum Probie

That's what im thinking Im not sure if i want to work closer to a big city or more towards the rural side of things i didn't know if where i wanted to work would affect what i should do or not.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Strokin&SmokinGirl97
Forum Probie

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicRob View Post
Not really. 90% of services pay degreed medics the same as non-degree. This might change in the future. The question to ask yourself is, are you okay with the absolute minimum? Why not expand your knowledge and bring a more informed care to the field? I got my AAS in paramedicine, so I am not speaking blindly on the topic.
Thats also another reason i was leaning more towards degree, i think i may take the EMT-PM which is a management major im indecisive between the science major or the management major.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
Navajib
Forum Probie

Training: Paramedic Student
I chose the local, two-year degree program to allow further time to study more in depth about each course we cover in the program. IMO, it gives me a better framework to work from as opposed to other one-year certificates. As a current student now that has just completed the first year, I can't imagine placing all the information we have covered into 1 semester. Another aspect is I could transfer credits to apply toward a bachelors. But then again, I have limited EMS experience as a basic--as I just converted to EMS last summer enrolling in an emt-basic course at the local college.
Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote