EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > The Break Room > Military/Tactical/Wilderness EMS

Military/Tactical/Wilderness EMS Welcome to Luno's Lounge...For the specialty E.M.S. types.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
docmoods
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-Basic
Injured K9 EMS treatment?

Hey all, just a curious question... anyone in a department with SOP's reguarding treatment of injured Police/SAR K9's? Looking to find a way to train up some of my departments people for possible injury to a police K9...

docmoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
medicRob
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: RN, MSN, ACNP-BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoods View Post
Hey all, just a curious question... anyone in a department with SOP's reguarding treatment of injured Police/SAR K9's? Looking to find a way to train up some of my departments people for possible injury to a police K9...
Get with some emergency vet techs. A friend of mine, who I went to EMT school with was really in to animals, so much so that he went on to get his degree in animal sciences. He worked with the University of TN Knoxville to create Equine Ambulances for traffic accidents involving horse trailers resulting in animals being injured, etc.

Contact your local community college or University. Ask them if they have a Vet Tech program, then see if you can speak with the professor, or go to any animal hospital. I am sure you will find no lack of help, due to this being an issue with police K9s.
medicRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
docmoods
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicRob View Post
Contact your local community college or University. Ask them if they have a Vet Tech program, then see if you can speak with the professor, or go to any animal hospital. I am sure you will find no lack of help, due to this being an issue with police K9s.
Yea I was already thinking about that I was just curious to see about specific SOP's reguarding care rendered... Thanks for the input though...
docmoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
usafmedic45
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: Flight RT
Quote:
Get with some emergency vet techs.
....or actually talk to an board certified emergency veterinarian. You wouldn't go talk to a nurse about a protocol development, you would go talk to a doc. No disrespect to nurses or vet techs but let's remember that if you're going to be asking complicated questions, it's best to talk to the most educated person you can get in touch with.
usafmedic45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
bigbaldguy
Community Leader Emeritus
Now 50% balder

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Here in Houston the community college offers a veterinary paramedic degree. I've actually considered taking it so I can work with local rescues. It sounds like it is basically a vet tech class with a focus on emergency care.

http://northwest.hccs.edu/portal/sit...extfmt=default
bigbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
ChitownKid
Forum Ride Along

Here in Chicago, they did not even touch on animal care in the Emt-B curriculum. Although all mammals do have the same 206 bones, and an Emt/Paramedic may be able to offer some advice on things such as splinting, bleeding control... basic first aid techniques that could be applied to emergency k9 care, but I must agree with everyone when they say your best bet would definately be to contact someone with specific veterinary training
ChitownKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
usafmedic45
Forum Deputy Chief

Quote:
Here in Chicago, they did not even touch on animal care in the Emt-B curriculum
It's not part of the EMT-B curriculum so I am not surprised at all. I'm not aware of it being a standard part of the regular EMS curriculum anywhere.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
medicRob
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: RN, MSN, ACNP-BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafmedic45 View Post
You wouldn't go talk to a nurse about a protocol development, you would go talk to a doc. No disrespect to nurses or vet techs but let's remember that if you're going to be asking complicated questions, it's best to talk to the most educated person you can get in touch with.
Uh Umm (Clears throat)... you would if it was an MSN or a DNP.
medicRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
DesertEMT66
Forum Troll

Training: Medic Student
A K-9 officer in our town took some classes or talked alot to vet techs so he takes care of his dog. Has 2 first aid kits in his unit. One for people and one for his partner (the K-9).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRob View Post
You forget that all the activities you do hurt when you crash and I am the candyman.
DesertEMT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
usafmedic45
Forum Deputy Chief

Quote:
Uh Umm (Clears throat)... you would if it was an MSN or a DNP.
No offense but if I were going to go to court, I'd want the highest level of provider I could backing it up and as much as the nursing profession has been annexing the Sudetenland of physician territory over the past few years, those with MD/DO degrees are still the top of the food chain. When it comes to protocol development, I have two driving principles:
1. What is best for the patient based on current evidence?
2. How defensible is this going to be in court?