EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > Education and Training

Education and Training The latest information on E.M.S. education and training.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
emtmomma
Forum Ride Along

EMT-B,EMT-I, What is the difference?

Hello, i start my emt course in january and i was curious after reading on here, what is the defference in the titles?(EMT-B,EMT-I, etc.) How do i ask my class instructor what title i will have after completion of my course without sounding like an idiot? thanks for your help!

im sorry i just saw the forum and noticed its in the wrong spot!! sorry!

Last edited by emtmomma; 12-13-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: wrong forum!!! sorry!!
emtmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Linuss
Forum Chief

Training: NREMT-Paramedic
Depends on your state.

EMT-B is the lowest level of Emergency Medical Technian. They can do basic things such as bandaging, splinting, AED usage, and about 6 drugs (O2, Nitro, Asprin, Glucose, Epi-pen, Albuterol)

EMT-I, or Intermediate, is well, the middle ground between EMT-B and Paramedic. Again, depending on your state there are 2 levels of Intermediate, I/85 and I/99. I/85 is essentially an EMT with IVs and Intubation, and maybe a couple of other things. I/99 is 'closer' to Paramedic skill wise, but still quite a bit short education wise.

Paramedic (Or EMT-P for the next couple of years) is the highest level of pre-hospital medical providers typically on the ambulance. Like I said, depending on the state, a Paramedic can do / know a lot, or can do / know very little. IV, EKG, 12lead reading, Intubation, cricothyrotomy, needle thorcostomy, 60+ different drugs, etc etc etc
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
TransportJockey
Community Leader Emeritus
Community Leader Emeritus

Training: Lil o this lil o tha
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtmomma View Post
Hello, i start my emt course in january and i was curious after reading on here, what is the defference in the titles?(EMT-B,EMT-I, etc.) How do i ask my class instructor what title i will have after completion of my course without sounding like an idiot? thanks for your help!

im sorry i just saw the forum and noticed its in the wrong spot!! sorry!
It works ok in this section.

And EMT-B is a basic EMT. It's probably what you will be once you pass the NR/State test after completing your class successfully. EMT-I is an EMT-Intermediate, which has a little more education and training than the Basic. EMT-P is a paramedic.
Stuff before EMT (like NR or NM, CO, TX etc) are just designators for what certification area it is. Such as state offices or National Registry

EDIT: Linuss has it better than I did. Although one exception. There is also an inbetween EMT-I that is not NR at all. In states such as UT, WA, or to some extent TX they have EMT-Is that fall firmly in between I/85 and I/99 level.
FPC #003175, NREMT-P
"EMS does not save lives, EMS is to care for people. It is 95% of what we do."
Quote:
Originally Posted by usalsfyre
TransportJockey as my partner sound like it would be made of win smothered in awsomesauce...

Last edited by TransportJockey; 12-13-2010 at 10:49 PM.
TransportJockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
medic417
The Truth Provider

You start as an emt basic.

Basic can do splinting, bandaging and other basic first aid. A few places allow more aggressive.

Intermediate (emt-i) IV's maybe intubation and a few drugs. A few places allow more aggressive. It is being phased out.

Paramedic Lots of drugs and many skills. A few places allow more aggressive.

You will find some places allow a lot and others nothing. Education varies.
The comments expressed by myself or any of my imaginary friends may or may not reflect the views or opinions held by those that we work for, therefore we hold ownership alone to all comments made, or do we? Royalty's are required for any and all quotes of any comments made by myself or my imaginary friends whether in whole or in part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiz View Post
7:11 PM on December 9, 2012. A date which will live in infamy. ffemt8978 agrees with medic417.
medic417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Hepinghand
Forum Probie

Training: FirFighter/EMT-B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Depends on your state.

EMT-B is the lowest level of Emergency Medical Technian. They can do basic things such as bandaging, splinting, AED usage, and about 6 drugs (O2, Nitro, Asprin, Glucose, Epi-pen, Albuterol)

EMT-I, or Intermediate, is well, the middle ground between EMT-B and Paramedic. Again, depending on your state there are 2 levels of Intermediate, I/85 and I/99. I/85 is essentially an EMT with IVs and Intubation, and maybe a couple of other things. I/99 is 'closer' to Paramedic skill wise, but still quite a bit short education wise.

Paramedic (Or EMT-P for the next couple of years) is the highest level of pre-hospital medical providers typically on the ambulance. Like I said, depending on the state, a Paramedic can do / know a lot, or can do / know very little. IV, EKG, 12lead reading, Intubation, cricothyrotomy, needle thorcostomy, 60+ different drugs, etc etc etc
As far as I know here in nj we cannot give asprin.
Hepinghand is offline   Reply With Quote