EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > Education and Training

Education and Training The latest information on E.M.S. education and training.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #31
medicRob
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: RN, MSN, ACNP-BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpaintball70 View Post
Actually, to work on federal property (ie bases) all you need is NREMT. No state cert is required if you are only working in a VA hospital or on a base.
I had heard about that, but I am not all that familiar with how the NREMT works within the military, aside from the well-known programs like the Para rescue jumpers, etc.

medicRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #32
JPINFV
Gadfly

Training: MS, EMT-B, OMS-4
Send a message via AIM to JPINFV
I've never been in the military, but even I can imagine the gigantic facepalm the recruiter is going to do when someone walks in and says, "Well, I'm here for the medic position. I've got me EMT cert through Universal Careers School of Medicine!"

Holy EMS Trinity: Backboard, oxygen, lights and sirens.
JPINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #33
TransportJockey
Community Leader Emeritus
Community Leader Emeritus

Training: Lil o this lil o tha
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicRob View Post
I had heard about that, but I am not all that familiar with how the NREMT works within the military, aside from the well-known programs like the Para rescue jumpers, etc.
PJs are trained to NREMT-P at Kirtland AFB NM by the UNM EMSA. Army medics are trained to NREMT-B level plus they add in lots of ALS type trauma skills. Navy Corpsman are trained similar to Army medics (NREMT-B plus skills).

And the NREMT cert to work on fed installations also counts for civilians working for the govt. I applied at several bases, including in FL, in states that my NREMT-I/85 cert would not be accepted by the state that the base is located in.

Not to mention that NREMT is what the overseas contractors all use as well.
FPC #003175, NREMT-P
"EMS does not save lives, EMS is to care for people. It is 95% of what we do."
Quote:
Originally Posted by usalsfyre
TransportJockey as my partner sound like it would be made of win smothered in awsomesauce...
TransportJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #34
jjesusfreak01
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: EMT-Intermediate
Have a friend about to start in the para-rescue program. I'll let him know what he's up against.
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #35
Paramaybe
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjesusfreak01 View Post
Have a friend about to start in the para-rescue program. I'll let him know what he's up against.
Tell him good luck!

I heard the pipeline for PJ's is one of the most difficult in all of the Military. It's like a two year deal.

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/specialtactics/pjtraining.asp

I wish that was something I would of considered when I was younger.
Paramaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #36
emt seeking first job
Forum Asst. Chief

I just logged on to post a thread about this place.....

I did not even call them, is it me or was the website a giveaway, all the stock photos.......wtf?

Has anyone gone to this program?
emt seeking first job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #37
emt seeking first job
Forum Asst. Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPINFV View Post
As they are listed as being in Los Angeles, I just sent the following email to the LA LEMSA's contact person for EMS training programs.

"Hello Ms. Reich,

I am a current Southern California medical student who has worked as an EMT in the past and currently stay active on various online message boards. Recently a poster requested information regarding an EMT training program called “Universal Careers” (http://www.universalcareers.org/). According to their website, the contact number zip code is the 213 area code and their head quarters is in Los Angeles, however no location was given for where they actually hold their courses. They are not currently listed on the Los Angeles LEMSA website’s list of approved training programs. Various Craigslist advertisements shows them advertising locally, at a minimum, in Florida and Texas (linked below), however on a Google search, an expired Craigslist Ad appears for Monterey and Fresno. Additionally, on their “review” page, several reviews are credited to people in California. According to the poster (link below), the accelerated EMT course is $8000 with a $450 enrollment fee where they send a package of CDs and books. Since the contact number and listed headquarters is in Los Angeles, I was wondering if you had heard anything about this, to use the term loosely, “company” and, since the entire website all but screams “Fraud!” know who to forward this to?

Thank you for your time,
[redacted]

Links:
Forum thread link: http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=20171
Company website: http://www.universalcareers.org/
Company review page: http://www.universalcareers.org/reviews.php
Craigslist advertisement for Florida: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cls/1971334849.html (notice the advertisement billing the course as “14 Day Medical School”)
Craigslist advertisement for Houston: http://houston.craigslist.org/vnn/1977879166.html
"

Good job.

I would also suggest cutting and pasting that same text in a report on ripoffreport.com so when people search for the school, they will fins that, google spiders that website
emt seeking first job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #38
EMS/LEO505
Forum Lieutenant

Training: Student
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt seeking first job View Post
I did not even call them, is it me or was the website a giveaway, all the stock photos.......wtf?

I sure hope not... if they have, they shouldn't be allowed to drive haha

AHA CPR Cert. (Hella Lamest Course ever)
EMS/LEO505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #39
JPINFV
Gadfly

Training: MS, EMT-B, OMS-4
Send a message via AIM to JPINFV
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt seeking first job View Post

They don't actually run the EMT class. A program in Indiana runs the course, this company just fills the seats and offers "help" with resumes and job placement.

Holy EMS Trinity: Backboard, oxygen, lights and sirens.
JPINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #40
rwik123
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: AEMT/EMT-I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramaybe View Post
Tell him good luck!

I heard the pipeline for PJ's is one of the most difficult in all of the Military. It's like a two year deal.

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/specialtactics/pjtraining.asp

I wish that was something I would of considered when I was younger.
Yeah it is has the highest or one of the highest attrition rates in the armed forces.

If I'm correct, alot of army medics now opt for nremt-p certs after medic school
rwik123 is offline   Reply With Quote