EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > ALS Discussion

ALS Discussion For all that stuff specifically related to ALS including EMT-I and EMT-P related discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Hockey
Quackers
 
Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,211
Do you mix your Morphine and Zofran?


Saw this in the ER the other night. She mixed both in the syringe. I usually prefer to do the Zofran first, prep the Morphine, then give it.

Anyone else do this practice? Never really seen it before nor would I think would be proper


Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
TransportJockey
Community Leader Emeritus
Community Leader Emeritus
 
TransportJockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central NM
Posts: 5,406
Training: Lil o this lil o tha
Seen it a lot when I was working in the hospital as a tech. Never done it myself though
__________________
N. Zecco
FPC #003175, NREMT-P
"EMS does not save lives, EMS is to care for people. It is 95% of what we do."
Quote:
Originally Posted by usalsfyre
TransportJockey as my partner sound like it would be made of win smothered in awsomesauce...
TransportJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Pittsburgh77
Forum Crew Member
 
Pittsburgh77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 66
Training: NREMT-P
Send a message via AIM to Pittsburgh77 Send a message via Skype™ to Pittsburgh77
There's a thread about this already. It should be like 2 spots down from this one.
Pittsburgh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
TransportJockey
Community Leader Emeritus
Community Leader Emeritus
 
TransportJockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central NM
Posts: 5,406
Training: Lil o this lil o tha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh77 View Post
There's a thread about this already. It should be like 2 spots down from this one.
That one is phenergan and MS.
__________________
N. Zecco
FPC #003175, NREMT-P
"EMS does not save lives, EMS is to care for people. It is 95% of what we do."
Quote:
Originally Posted by usalsfyre
TransportJockey as my partner sound like it would be made of win smothered in awsomesauce...
TransportJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Smash
Forum Asst. Chief
 
Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 975
Training: Ambologist
What is the rationale for mixing them? I assume that the ondansetron is being given for patients who already have nausea or who are known to develop nausea secondary to morphine administration?

The actual incidence of nausea post morphine is rather low (<5% I think, but I can't put my fingers on the figures right now) so I've never understood the desire to give everyone more drugs that they probably won't need.
__________________
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
jjesusfreak01
Forum Deputy Chief
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St. Georges, Grenada
Posts: 1,344
Training: EMT-Intermediate
One common reason to mix IV meds is that doing so will dilute each medication, which could help if one of the meds had a necrotic effect in high concentrations or could cause problems if pushed too quickly. Of course, doing this would require that you know of any chemical interactions the medications might have as well as the typical side effects of each med.
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
LonghornMedic
Forum Lieutenant
 
LonghornMedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Saw this in the ER the other night. She mixed both in the syringe. I usually prefer to do the Zofran first, prep the Morphine, then give it.

Anyone else do this practice? Never really seen it before nor would I think would be proper
Mix it? No. But I also don't give everyone Zofran either. If patients have had MS before and don't get nauseated, then I wait and see if the need arises.
LonghornMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
Smash
Forum Asst. Chief
 
Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 975
Training: Ambologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjesusfreak01 View Post
One common reason to mix IV meds is that doing so will dilute each medication, which could help if one of the meds had a necrotic effect in high concentrations or could cause problems if pushed too quickly. Of course, doing this would require that you know of any chemical interactions the medications might have as well as the typical side effects of each med.
What's wrong with 0.9%NaCl to dilute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornMedic View Post
Mix it? No. But I also don't give everyone Zofran either. If patients have had MS before and don't get nauseated, then I wait and see if the need arises.
Sounds sensible
__________________
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
gicts
Forum Lieutenant
 
gicts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: insanity
Posts: 149
Training: NREMT-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
What is the rationale for mixing them? I assume that the ondansetron is being given for patients who already have nausea or who are known to develop nausea secondary to morphine administration?

The actual incidence of nausea post morphine is rather low (<5% I think, but I can't put my fingers on the figures right now) so I've never understood the desire to give everyone more drugs that they probably won't need.

Especially if you give it appropriately and not slam it like some ER's
__________________
Cost of B.S., A.A.S., NREMT-P, and State Instructor/Evaluator? $55,000
Realizing garbage men make more than you? Priceless
gicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
medicRob
Forum Deputy Chief
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,754
Training: RN, MSN, ACNP-BC
Happiness is a warm gun, bang--bang, shoot--shoot.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Personally, I don't mix Zofran and Morphine. I don't even give Zofran to all patients that I administer morphine on, it all depends on their tolerance to opioid analgesics and whether or not they have experienced nausea in the past.
medicRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zofran (ondansetron) 82-Alpha599 ALS Discussion 71 01-31-2010 11:39 PM
Another Pain Management Thread (Multi-System Trauma) redcrossemt ALS Discussion 61 01-04-2010 10:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001-2014, EMTLife LLC. All rights reserved.