EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > Education and Training

Education and Training The latest information on E.M.S. education and training.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Jay506
Forum Probie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
Training: EMT-Basic
8 week vs 16 week course?


Hello all, very glad I found this forum so I can tlk to some people who have been there and done that! I'm in the process of becoming a firefighter and while I'm waiting I'm going to get my EMT-B cert out of the way. There is a course starting this June that is an "accelerated course" which is 8 weeks long. I would rather do the normal 16 week course but that doesnt start until August/Sept so the only reason I'm considering the accelerated course is because I can't wait that long. So if anyone would be kind enough to share their thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated.

How long was your course? What would you say are the pros and cons of an accelerated 8 week course? I believe the 16 week course only meets 2 days a week, which I don't really understand. I'm the type of guy that would rather go at LEAST 3 days a week, maybe even 5 so maybe the 8 week course will suit me best.

Thanks for any advice and please make it as candid and honest as possible.


Jay506 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Linuss
Forum Chief
 
Linuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 8,219
Training: NREMT-Paramedic
As honest as possible?

Well, seeing as none of us have any clue as to which programs you're speaking of, we can't give a concrete answer. The 8 week course might be the best course ever created and the 16week the worst, or vice versa.

It seems you have little if any interest in doing EMS (Your words: Get it out of the way) which would seem that a shorter, mill-like school would be better for you. You just want to pass the test and move on the fire school, so the short class might fit you better.

But again, don't know what school/programs you're looking at. It very well could be the same exact school offering the same program, just in a different time format.



My class was at the local community college, 2 days a week, 4 hours a night, for 1 semester (16 weeks).

Last edited by Linuss; 04-05-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
EMSLaw
Legal Beagle
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,004
Training: NREMT-I/85, NJEMT-B
What are your other time commitments? You might be able to find a course that goes all day, 9-5, every day for three or four weeks. There are even "boot camp" style programs that go as little as two weeks, every day, full-time plus. Many people think that these super-condensed programs won't teach you much (and I tend to agree, but that's neither here nor there), but you should do what's best for your learning style.

Anyway, the length of the class in weeks/months/years is not indicative of anything except how many hours a day/week/month you put into it. The total number of hours in the curriculum is often a more important consideration. A class can be 110 hours spread over 16 weeks, or 300 in 8 weeks (which would basically be full-time, but you get my point.)
EMSLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Jay506
Forum Probie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
As honest as possible?

Well, seeing as none of us have any clue as to which programs you're speaking of, we can't give a concrete answer. The 8 week course might be the best course ever created and the 16week the worst, or vice versa.

It seems you have little if any interest in doing EMS (Your words: Get it out of the way) which would seem that a shorter, mill-like school would be better for you. You just want to pass the test and move on the fire school, so the short class might fit you better.

But again, don't know what school/programs you're looking at. It very well could be the same exact school offering the same program, just in a different time format.



My class was at the local community college, 2 days a week, 4 hours a night, for 1 semester (16 weeks).
Well, with all due respect sir/mam you have absolutely no idea what my motives are and you know what happens when you assume, right? Tsk tsk. I take EMS as serious as you possibly could. The dept I hope to work at has roughly 90%+ medical calls, so it's pretty much EMS. By "getting out of the way" I simply mean exactly what I said...would you rather I sit around for 6 months or be proactive and get my EMT-B cert? I'll have to do it again anyway in the fire academy so I'm actually going to be doing it twice...that's how serious I am.

And as far as you not know what course I'm talking about....lol, would you like me to email you the curriculum? I mean what do you want? It's an EMT-B course...one's 8 weeks, one's 16 weeks...what else do you need to know?? I'm just looking for some opinions that's all. If you don't have one, no problem but there's no need to be rude.
Jay506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
EMS_rabbit
Forum Probie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
I took the 8 week course out of Miramar its alot of reading in a short time so you wont have much of a socal life for the time being if you have a family or job while school is in I'd go for the 16 week. YOU HAVE TO WANT IT or you'll slack I was top 6 in a class of 80.
EMS_rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Linuss
Forum Chief
 
Linuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 8,219
Training: NREMT-Paramedic
Don't ask someone to be candid and honest and then go on the defensive.


I said "It would seem", and that's exactly how it is to me ... it would seem you wouldn't care as much since the way you word it makes it look like you think it's more of a chore. But hey, it is the internet and tone gets lose in text. But that's irrelevant.

I asked for the program. I know the syllabus. Some programs are very reputable and teach their students well, while others are not. As Law stated, some could meet the minimum hours in a rushed fashion, and some can exceed the minimum and try to make you a decent EMT. I am unable to help you the best way possible without knowing what schools you're looking at.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Jay506
Forum Probie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Don't ask someone to be candid and honest and then go on the defensive.


I said "It would seem", and that's exactly how it is to me ... it would seem you wouldn't care as much since the way you word it makes it look like you think it's more of a chore. But hey, it is the internet and tone gets lose in text. But that's irrelevant.

I asked for the program. I know the syllabus. Some programs are very reputable and teach their students well, while others are not. As Law stated, some could meet the minimum hours in a rushed fashion, and some can exceed the minimum and try to make you a decent EMT. I am unable to help you the best way possible without knowing what schools you're looking at.
I apologize then, you're right I cant ask for candid answers and then get defensive, but I didn't think I was getting defensive it just seemed you were judging me and believe me, you're NOT the first EMS professional to imply(although I now understand you weren't trying to imply that) that just because I want to be a firefighter, which is a lifelong dream of mine, that I don't take the EMS side seriously or want to help people as bad as they do. So my bad. My EMT course will be at a local community college, a very good program from what I hear, unfortunately that's all I know, I've just recently looked into it.
Jay506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Linuss
Forum Chief
 
Linuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 8,219
Training: NREMT-Paramedic
Naw, don't apologize, it's the interwebz, mis-communication happens.

Which community college? And are both courses at the same college?
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Jay506
Forum Probie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Naw, don't apologize, it's the interwebz, mis-communication happens.

Which community college? And are both courses at the same college?
Haha, right on bud.

They're both Metropolitan community colleges of Kansas city, MO. The 8 week is at Penn Valley in KC, and the 16 week is at Blue River in Independence, Mo. And like I said, I would love to do the 16 week course, but it starts months after the 8 week course and it's just a time issue. But I don't want a half ass course, that's why I'm here asking for opinions.
Jay506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
terrible one
Forum Asst. Chief
 
terrible one's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Always Moving
Posts: 697
Training: B.S., Paramedic
education shouldn't be a race.
a few months waiting won't change much in the larger scheme of things.
__________________
In Loving Memory of Paramedic Doug Odgers
8.18.87-5.8.11
RIP
terrible one is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Training to be certified in First Aid/CPR/AED ?'s trevor1189 Scenarios 73 06-01-2009 03:08 PM
EMS Week Open House/Events? keith10247 EMS Lounge 1 03-09-2008 06:29 PM
Should I do the 2 week EMT program? MedicineMan EMS Talk 35 03-04-2008 08:24 PM
Happy National EMS Week! Trailpatrol EMS Lounge 5 05-29-2007 09:16 AM
EMS Week - May 15-21 MMiz EMS Talk 10 05-11-2005 08:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001-2014, EMTLife LLC. All rights reserved.