EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Basic101
Forum Ride Along

Training: EMT-Basic
"Resume" builders + Continuing Education (NYC)

EMS positions in NYC are very competitive, especially so for newly certified EMT-Bs. I do understand because EMT-B training is so brief and it's the entry level EMS job, the amount of applicants will by far outweigh the job openings especially in today's economy.

Therefore I am looking at suggestions/advice from more experienced on how to be more competitive in this job market? What things I can do to include on my application/resume to help me stand apart from the next guy?

Are there any continuing education EMS classes in NY that upon completion provide some concrete paper/certificate? Or any other classes in EMS training that improve your standing?

Any other things one can do to be more competitive?

I am already in communication with a volunteer squad to volunteer as an EMT, but looking for more things I can do...

Basic101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
ExpatMedic0
Premium Member
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: NRP, CCEMT-P
Go to medic school. I herd its only 9 months in NYC with no other college? If so, why the hell not, right?

Last edited by ExpatMedic0; 01-10-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling
ExpatMedic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
Basic101
Forum Ride Along

Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulz View Post
Go to medic school. I herd its only 9 months in NYC with no other college? If so, why the hell not, right?

My thinking here is to get solid foundation of field experience and performing BLS skills on the street under my belt before I start trying to run IV's and showing tubes down peoples throats.

I am just looking for more ideas I can do now to increase my chances on getting hired/getting a second look.
Basic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
ExpatMedic0
Premium Member
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: NRP, CCEMT-P
I would continue to look into the volunteer thing. Also look for jobs in places you might not think. My first job as a fresh EMT-B was on a race track doing response. Super cool first time job, terrible pay (8.00 an hour) Ive also worked doing tons of medical stand by I.E. concerts, events, so look outside of 911.

As a EMT-B I am not sure what other certifications you can hold that may help. Some states allow basics to get ACLS, check if your state is one. That might look good, also your national registry maybe helpful? You can also take FEMA courses online (many of which employers require once you get hired) and FEMA will mail you a cert once you have taken all there classes online such as NIMS ect...
ExpatMedic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
firecoins
IFT Puppet

Training: NY EMT-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic101 View Post
My thinking here is to get solid foundation of field experience and performing BLS skills on the street under my belt before I start trying to run IV's and showing tubes down peoples throats.

I am just looking for more ideas I can do now to increase my chances on getting hired/getting a second look.
many medics in NYC work as basics. It really doesn't matter. If you got the experience there.

work as an IFT emt first. Its the best way to get bls experience

My opinions are not my own. They directly represent the opinions of the management of an agency I am not connected to in any way.
firecoins is offline   Reply With Quote