EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > Education and Training

Education and Training The latest information on E.M.S. education and training.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Nick647
Forum Lieutenant

Training: Soon to be student
Basic VS. Intermediate?

Obviously I plan to start as an EMT-B cause I dont have much of a choice but what exactly is the difference between of Basic and Intermediate Levels (I know there are two)? Can the EMT-I administer more medicine and what not then the Basic? I know that Medic is the most advanced but what is the difference between EMT-B and EMT-I and the two levels of Intermediate?

Thanks.

Nick647 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
EMSLaw
Legal Beagle

Training: NREMT-I/85, NJEMT-B
The answer will vary depending on your state. There are people on the forum from Mass, so they have better ideas than me.

Basically, though, EMT-Is can usually use more advanced airway adjuncts, such as dual lumen airways, can start unmedicated IV lines and run normal saline and D5W, and may have access to a limited number of medications, such as Narcan and Glucagon.

I'm neither an EMT-I nor a medic, but most of the threads around here seem to say that the EMT-I level is a waste, based around adding a few additional skills without sufficient didactic education, and that if you are interested in more advanced knowledge and techniques, you should just become a Paramedic.
EMSLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Linuss
Forum Chief

Training: NREMT-Paramedic
There are 2 levels of Intermediate (1985 and 1999) and each has a different skill-set. What they can do ends up being based on what level you are AND what state you're in.

In general, I's can start IVs, do some advanced airways, give a little bit more drugs, read a 3-lead EKG, and manually defib.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
medicdan
Premium+ Member
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: NRP
Send a message via AIM to medicdan Send a message via Skype™ to medicdan
Take a look at http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=5395
EMT-I training is entirely useless in metro Boston, where the certification is not accepted. Even in parts of MA that accept EMT-Is, the scope should not be confused with that of a Paramedic, and you should not confuse lines and tubes with a full ALS scope.
medicdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
allvitals09
Forum Crew Member

Training: EMT-B Student
In mass

EMT-I can place IV and ET tubes, but the are limited to the same drugs a basic is. Whether or not they can read EKGs I don't remember or for manual defib either. Currently Intermediates are being phased out.

Just remember you cannot call 911 when you are 911.
allvitals09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Nick647
Forum Lieutenant

Training: Soon to be student
Yeah thats what I figured. They can use a little more medicine then Basics but not much. I think what ill wind up doing is doing EMT-B for a bit and then go straight to my Medic. That way I wont waste any time.
Nick647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
allvitals09
Forum Crew Member

I have about a month left in my basic class before all of the testing, but I am almost positive that I want to continue on to medic. Before going for medic I am definitely going to wait 6 months to a year to be able to get a handle on some actual field time though.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
Lifeguards For Life
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: .... I Forgot
Quote:
Originally Posted by allvitals09 View Post
I have about a month left in my basic class before all of the testing, but I am almost positive that I want to continue on to medic. Before going for medic I am definitely going to wait 6 months to a year to be able to get a handle on some actual field time though.
go straight to medic, it's not that hard
Lifeguards For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Seaglass
Lesser Ambulance Ape

Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSLaw View Post
I'm neither an EMT-I nor a medic, but most of the threads around here seem to say that the EMT-I level is a waste, based around adding a few additional skills without sufficient didactic education, and that if you are interested in more advanced knowledge and techniques, you should just become a Paramedic.
That, pretty much. The only exception is if you find yourself in an area which requires intermediate before medic, or in one where medics are so restricted or intermediates so free that there's virtually no difference between the levels. Those are rare, and you'll catch on pretty quick if you ever find yourself there.
Seaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
allvitals09
Forum Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguards For Life View Post
go straight to medic, it's not that hard
I am not worried about the difficulty of the medic program I just want some field time first. In the majority of people that I have talked to being out in the field has helped them tremendously before continuing on to higher levels.

http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=15562