EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > Education and Training

Education and Training The latest information on E.M.S. education and training.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Aerin-Sol
Forum Captain

Training: EMT-Basic
Were your EMT-B class tests Top Secret?

Apparently mine are. We are required to turn in the tests and answer sheets after we review the answers and we aren't allowed to take any notes on the material whatsoever. This is extremely annoying to me as I am a visual learner and going over the questions I missed verbally does nothing for me. The tests are cumulative and I am missing some of the same questions over and over because after I get home I can't remember exactly what I missed.

Aerin-Sol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
DV_EMT
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: C.Ph.T./EMT
My testes were top secret as well... thought there were different test(s) in the same room, the questions were jumbled... I wonder if some are from the NREMT? questions they wont ever use again?

"give hugs not drugs.... er... in my case, give both"

"Hello, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, it's caught in the window this time". -Family Guy
DV_EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
JPINFV
Gadfly

Training: Physician (resident)
Send a message via AIM to JPINFV
I don't remember for my EMT class. At my grad school, one of the major fund raisers for the student government was selling test packets of old tests. They weren't all of the tests, but we also got a copy of our tests and our scantron score report (gave us the answers, what we answered if we answered wrong, average score, and a few other things).

On the other hand, at my current school the exams are posted in the Office of Medical Education for review until the challenge period passes. We're only allowed to take the minimal amount of notes needed to forumlate a challenge though.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
DV_EMT
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: C.Ph.T./EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPINFV View Post
I don't remember for my EMT class. At my grad school, one of the major fund raisers for the student government was selling test packets of old tests. They weren't all of the tests, but we also got a copy of our tests and our scantron score report (gave us the answers, what we answered if we answered wrong, average score, and a few other things).
Ya know... thats a great idea! I may have to market that if I ever teach when I get old.

"give hugs not drugs.... er... in my case, give both"

"Hello, 911? It's Quagmire. Yeah, it's caught in the window this time". -Family Guy
DV_EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
rescue99
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: Paramedic IC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerin-Sol View Post
Apparently mine are. We are required to turn in the tests and answer sheets after we review the answers and we aren't allowed to take any notes on the material whatsoever. This is extremely annoying to me as I am a visual learner and going over the questions I missed verbally does nothing for me. The tests are cumulative and I am missing some of the same questions over and over because after I get home I can't remember exactly what I missed.
It is probably because the education department utilizes the same tests. If a test generator was used, there are only so many questions in the bank. If everyone got to see the tests afterward, soon there would be no reason to give the exam. You would all know the questions and answers!

Exams take many hours (each) to write even with the aid of a test generator. It isn't quite as simple as one would think. Each question is weighed and measured for difficulty and must be referenced to both the material being taught and with the DOT objectives. Blue printing takes a long time thus, I might hand out a take home quiz once in a while but, not exams. No one sees those after taking the exam. They take too long to write. As it is, a well written exam is only good for a year or so before it needs to be completely redone.
rescue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Aerin-Sol
Forum Captain

Let me add that my program is not associated with a school. It is an independent company that does EMT-B and CPR certifications.
Aerin-Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Linuss
Forum Chief

Training: NREMT-Paramedic
My EMT test were "top secret".

My medic school test, at a different school, still are "top secret".
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
silver
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: EMT-B
Additionally you don't want to give other students an advantage do you?
Some students my have friends or siblings that give them all the tests. Others are going in blind.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
firecoins
IFT Puppet

Training: NY EMT-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerin-Sol View Post
I can neither confirm nor deny the existance on an EMT-B Test.

My opinions are not my own. They directly represent the opinions of the management of an agency I am not connected to in any way.
firecoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
John E
Forum Captain

These are not...

the EMT test answers that you are looking for.

Move along...

John E
John E is offline   Reply With Quote