EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > EMS Talk

EMS Talk General EMS Discussion. Not quite sure where to post? Try here first!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
jtb_E10
Forum Crew Member

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Send a message via Skype™ to jtb_E10
EVAC Ambulance (Daytona Beach, FL)

Does anyone on here work for this service or know someone who does?

jtb_E10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Sasha
Forum Chief

Training: EMT-Awesome
I know a couple who do. Was just talking to a medic from ORMC who works there in his spare time yesterday.

I never have, but I have talked to a couple medics while picking up from Fish Memorial in Orange City. They were generally happy with their employment there and from what I hear it's a decently run company with good benefits.

Last edited by Sasha; 06-29-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
jtb_E10
Forum Crew Member

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Send a message via Skype™ to jtb_E10
That sounds like what I'm reading...I'm looking into possibly moving down there within the next couple years in their area...
jtb_E10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Sasha
Forum Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb_E10 View Post
That sounds like what I'm reading...I'm looking into possibly moving down there within the next couple years in their area...
Central Florida is not a great place for employment if you're not fire. EVAC can be picky, and they have a ton to pick from. There aren't a whole lot of options if you're not fire with lots of competition.

Why are you planning to move down here?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
csa819
Forum Ride Along

Evac

EVAC's OK, but a tough agency to work for if you're from out of the area. EVAC's management is pretty much under the impression that they invented the modern ambulance agency. They're not nearly as good as they used to be, and management doesn't realize it. I used to work there, and it seems that they've been on a consistent slide. There's decent turnover in the system.
The call volume is decent, but they run a ton of BS calls. They transport a little more than half their calls. There are about 12 or 13 fire departments they run with, most of which are ALS, and most of the FD medic's haven't got a clue.
EVAC's run by a bunch of ex cops, and cop wannabe's. They take themselves very seriously. If you dig the paramilitary kind of agency that likes to pin on badges and shiny stuff, then you might like it.
They're a better agency than Rural/Metro in Orlando (one of the worst places to work in the country), but Lake Sumter EMS has a little lower a turnover, and the folks over there are a little happier.

Daytona Beach is a dump, and the surrounding areas aren't that much better. It's a small town kind of place, more like Georgia or Alabama than Florida. EVAC covers a lot of rural areas, more rural than urban.
csa819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Sasha
Forum Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa819 View Post
EVAC's OK, but a tough agency to work for if you're from out of the area. EVAC's management is pretty much under the impression that they invented the modern ambulance agency. They're not nearly as good as they used to be, and management doesn't realize it. I used to work there, and it seems that they've been on a consistent slide. There's decent turnover in the system.
The call volume is decent, but they run a ton of BS calls. They transport a little more than half their calls. There are about 12 or 13 fire departments they run with, most of which are ALS, and most of the FD medic's haven't got a clue.
EVAC's run by a bunch of ex cops, and cop wannabe's. They take themselves very seriously. If you dig the paramilitary kind of agency that likes to pin on badges and shiny stuff, then you might like it.
They're a better agency than Rural/Metro in Orlando (one of the worst places to work in the country), but Lake Sumter EMS has a little lower a turnover, and the folks over there are a little happier.

Daytona Beach is a dump, and the surrounding areas aren't that much better. It's a small town kind of place, more like Georgia or Alabama than Florida. EVAC covers a lot of rural areas, more rural than urban.

I just saw EVAC awhile ago.. They were wearing polos with no badges and were far from paramilitary, perhaps it's changed since you worked there? Lake Sumter is going to fire.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
csa819
Forum Ride Along

It's up to the medic whether they go with the polo's or the class a's. I was referring to the mentality, particularly of their management.
csa819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
HatchetHarry
Forum Crew Member

Anyone know the starting salary for this company? Ive been looking but I cant find it
HatchetHarry is offline   Reply With Quote