EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > Education and Training

Education and Training The latest information on E.M.S. education and training.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
mjg0519
Forum Ride Along

Training: EMT-Basic
Send a message via AIM to mjg0519
KED Strap Order

A thought crossed my mind last night, why do we do the straps on the KED device in the order we do (middle, bottom, legs, head, top)? Is there a particular reason for it?

Mike

mjg0519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
FF894
Forum Captain

Training: Student
Something else to be tested on. And the catchy "my baby looks hot tonight" among others

I am sure that's how the manufacturer designed it to work most effectively to be tight. The device only works properly if very tight on the body and the order probably has to do with achieving the tightness. Thats just a guess with no supporting data whatsoever. B)

Find em hot, leave em wet!
FF894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
DT4EMS
Kip Teitsort, Founder

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Send a message via Skype™ to DT4EMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg0519 View Post
A thought crossed my mind last night, why do we do the straps on the KED device in the order we do (middle, bottom, legs, head, top)? Is there a particular reason for it?

Mike

One of the main reasons for the strap order that comes to mind is this............

Since the KED is a spinal restriction device...... it is made of rigid material. Think of a Teeter Totter form when you were a kid..................

If you attach the bottom strap first.......... what direction would the top of the KED go?

Same if you secured the top strap first.

So in principle............ the middle is the strap that would cause the least amount of shifting or leverage.

Saving yours......while you save others!
DT4EMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
mycrofft
Just sayin'

Tummy as fulcrum

If you fasten the head first, as is intuitive, then when you tighten the other straps it affects how tight the head hitch is. If you have the others done first, the head hitch will not need readjustment.
Take a marker and write 1, 2, 3...big contrasting letters, and select a marker which will not degrade the straps.
mycrofft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
marineman
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: Paramedic
We were taught a different mnemonic and a different order for securing straps in our basic class. We were taught My Baby Has Great Teeth; middle, bottom, head, groin, top. It works on the same principle of keeping the pressure applied uniform so readjustment isn't needed, just a slightly different order.

P.S. for the national registry the only requirement for strap order is that the torso is done before the head.

Last edited by marineman; 12-28-2008 at 03:37 PM.
marineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
mycrofft
Just sayin'

Learn the test, then learn the manufacturer's instrux, then what works.

mycrofft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
daimere
Forum Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg0519 View Post

Mike
We were told as long as you don't do the head first, you don't have to attach the straps any special order
daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Linuss
Forum Chief

Training: NREMT-Paramedic
We were taught top, middle, bottom, legs, head.

Hmph.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
Ridryder911
EMS Guru

Training: RN, BSN, CCP
If you were taught head first, you were taught wrong. Even by the manufacture and the man who designed it (yes, there is a real person named Kendricks).

The reason is simple strap any non-movable device upon flexible parts and see what occurs. If you attach the head first, the chest piece will not be able to cinch down.
Remember the sole purpose of a KED is to remove someone as an extrication device.. it is NOT a splint. It is supposed to be extremely tight, for removing the patient and then after patient is removed can be loosened.

Middle strap is usually recommended for patient with potential chest injuries and then work caudally (towards the feet or distally) alike one should when applying wrapping/bandaging. Tightness starts at the core and then outwards.

I suggest to look at the manufacture website. They have description, anything else would be local variances.

R/r 911
Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
MagicTyler
Forum Lieutenant

Training: Paramedic
My Middle
Baby Bottom
totally top
looks legs
hot head
tonight tight

That's the way I learned... My instructor had a purpose for putting in the totally, but I can't remember what it was now. I think its because she said people were forgetting the top straps...