EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > The Break Room > Ambulances and Equipment

Ambulances and Equipment Everything related to the ambulance and equipment that you use and see. Brag, ask questions, and share pictures of your equipment!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
radtech
Forum Ride Along

Training: Student
EMT belt pack and basic equipment for student

Suggestions for anEMT belt pack?
Looking for a good EMT Belt Pack to carry my basics in. I know that as time goes on and eventually enter into the field, I'm going to wish I had gotten another belt pack instead of the one the college is trying to sell me out of the bookstore.

The college is suggesting that we go ahead and purchase an EMT Belt Pack with the stethoscope, scissors, blood pressure cuff, and a pen light. I'm thinking I might want to just buy things separately and put them in my own belt bag, but not sure. Husband said he can handle getting me a good pen light and knows I'll need a good pocket knife to clip to my pocket even though it's not mentioned, but the medical gear I'll have to get if I don't purchase a kit.

I have worked in Rad Tech or Oncology for many years, so being familiar with the basic equipment is not an issue, just easy of use and good quality.

radtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
rwik123
Forum Asst. Chief

Training: AEMT/EMT-I
Please don't wear a belt pack. You'll thank me later. Everything you need can be carried in your pockets or in your jump bag.
rwik123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Milla3P
Forum Lieutenant

Wait... EMS fanny packs are a real thing?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366217254.146063.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  30.5 KB

Unless you plan on starting out completely on your own, all of these things will already be provided for your use by your employer. Most premade kits are filled with inferior products that turn into useless junk pretty quickly, too.
Milla3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
CFal
Forum Captain

Training: EMT
Conterra makes some nice ones

http://www.conterra-inc.com/index.ph...w&product_id=6
http://www.conterra-inc.com/index.ph...w&product_id=5
CFal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
PaddyWagon
Forum Crew Member

Training: EMT-Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milla3P View Post
Wait... EMS fanny packs are a real thing?

Attachment 1501

Unless you plan on starting out completely on your own, all of these things will already be provided for your use by your employer. Most premade kits are filled with inferior products that turn into useless junk pretty quickly, too.
On my ride alongs the FTO and partner used nothing that didn't come with the rig, and in hospital ER everything but personal stethoscopes was from the hospital shelves.
PaddyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Handsome Robb
Premium+ Member
Youngin'

Training: A Broken Paramedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyWagon View Post
On my ride alongs the FTO and partner used nothing that didn't come with the rig, and in hospital ER everything but personal stethoscopes was from the hospital shelves.
Pretty much how it is here, except the supplies are from the shelves in our garage, not the hospital.
*My statements are my opinion and do not reflect those of my employer*
Handsome Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
DrankTheKoolaid
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: MICP ++
Yeah you really should not need any thing bought on your own other then a real flashlight if your doing nights unless you want to carry around a D cell Baton

Trust me you don't want to be 'that guy' who is brand spanking new and shows up with a bat belt. That's not the first impression you want to make

Instructor of the alphabet soup
BLS/ACLS/PALS/PEPP/PHTLS/CEVO/MICP.........

*My statements are my opinion and do not reflect those of my employer*

Last edited by DrankTheKoolaid; 04-19-2013 at 10:45 PM.
DrankTheKoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
joshrunkle35
Forum Lieutenant

Training: EMT-Paramedic
I carry a pen, cell phone, wallet, watch, keys, a really nice flashlight (surefire EB1) and a really nice knife (microtech ultratech two-tone tanto).

All of the other items are in with other gear. Almost everyone has a stethescope and alcohol wipes in an airway kit, for example. A penlight is almost always in a trauma kit and five other places, and the low setting on my personal light will work as well.

A really nice light and a really nice pocketknife (unless you're the person that constantly loses this item)...and a really nice coffee maker, are essential items for EMS. Obviously, if you go to a formal college for EMS, check with your instructor before you go bringing a pocketknife to class.
joshrunkle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
radtech
Forum Ride Along

Training: Student
radtech husband here: OK, she's got her own stethoscope from other jobs. I'll just pick her up a nice pocket clip lockblade and a decent light. Thx for the heads-up.
radtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
CFal
Forum Captain

Training: EMT
a buttpack is very handy providing EMS care away from an ambulance
CFal is offline   Reply With Quote