EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > Scenarios

Scenarios Got a scenario you want to run by the others? This is the place.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
94H
Forum Lieutenant

Training: EMT-Basic

Im thinking AAA also just because of the mass. Did you notice if it was pulsating at all?

94H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #32
jjesusfreak01
Forum Deputy Chief

Training: EMT-Intermediate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidey View Post
*facepalm* I bet $10 the guy had an umbilical hernia totally unrelated to anything going on. That is the only thing I can think of that would be in that spot and would show up when sitting up and disappear when lying down.

And when was the last time anyone heard of a patient with an SpO2 of 94% and non-localized cyanosis?
I don't see how they got a decent SpO2 on this patient to begin with, considering the lack of peripheral pulses, unobtainable pressure, and obvious shunting away from the periphery.
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #33
TheLocalMedic
Forum Asst. Squirrel

Training: Apocalyptic Medic
Not an AAA, but rather a rupturing thoracic aneurysm. With a thoracic aneurysm it is not uncommon to get upper limb cyanosis, just like an AAA can cause lower limb cyanosis. The difficulty breathing sounds like referred pain and an attempt to "self splint" by decreasing chest wall movement. I had a patient a few years ago that exactly matches the description of this patient and a postmortem revealed an aneurism that began at the aortic arch and descended past the diaphragm.

And who was it earlier that questioned the use of high flow O2? Really? When a patient looks like crap, give them the extra fuel. The whole issue of using lower amounts of O2 pertains mainly to prolonged use and stable ACS or COPD patients, remember that you should never withhold O2 if they're really sick. You don't look smart when you do that, it just shows that you haven't truly read the research about what you're preaching.
TheLocalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #34
usalsfyre
You have my stapler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLocalMedic View Post
And who was it earlier that questioned the use of high flow O2? Really? When a patient looks like crap, give them the extra fuel. The whole issue of using lower amounts of O2 pertains mainly to prolonged use and stable ACS or COPD patients, remember that you should never withhold O2 if they're really sick. You don't look smart when you do that, it just shows that you haven't truly read the research about what you're preaching.
Right, high flow O2 makes all the difference for hypemic issues because the oxygen carrying capacity of plasma is so great ...

If you truly have a ruptured abdominal aneurysm to the point of exangunation you'd likely only have a distended, rigid abdomen due to the amount of peritoneal irritation. A ruptured thoracic aneurysm is more likely but my money is on PE.
P. Kyle Norris EMT-P FP-C #001928

Last edited by usalsfyre; 04-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.
usalsfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #35
Handsome Robb
Premium+ Member
Youngin'

Training: A Broken Paramedic
I still want to see the 12-lead

As far as listening for an apical pulse you could but if you can't find a carotid pulse the guy isn't perusing his brain so I doubt it's going to matter much. Might be viable for organ donation but with the shunting I'm not sure the organs would be viable anyways...
*My statements are my opinion and do not reflect those of my employer*
Handsome Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
RanchoEMT
Forum Lieutenant

Training: Google
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRob View Post
I still want to see the 12-lead .
I looked for it when i came back to work and realized fire used their monitor, its saved on their LP15... In other words its gone, sorry.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #37
leoemt
Forum Captain

I know this thread is a couple of months old so don't yell at me for reviving it but I am really interested in this scenario.

While I don't have the experience yet to really offer a guess I have noticed that no one has keyed on the fact that the patient was playing Racket ball prior to onset of symptoms.

Is it possible that the patient took a hit to the chest by the ball? That would be enough of blunt force trauma to cause a pericardial tamponade (sp?) I would think.

Having played racket ball myself I know those hard rubber balls can really get moving. I've seen players get broken bones from those balls.
leoemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #38
TB 3541
Forum Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoemt View Post
...I have noticed that no one has keyed on the fact that the patient was playing Racket ball prior to onset of symptoms.

Is it possible that the patient took a hit to the chest by the ball? That would be enough of blunt force trauma to cause a pericardial tamponade (sp?) I would think.
Actually, someone did bring that up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine iac View Post
Halfway through reading this my idea was PE, then it changed to a witnessed AAA, and now I am some what torn between the two (hahah torn.. ). He was playing racket ball earlier.. might have gotten hit in the chest causing a dislodge of plaque going into his lung causing a chain reaction and death.
I'm really intrigued by this scenario too, but unfortunately, I don't think we will ever know because we don't have access to any records other than the first-hand experience provided. Really, I think only an autopsy could be definitive.
TB 3541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
blindsideflank
Forum Lieutenant

Training: Advanced care taxi
Problems with coarctation of aorta/dissection
Saddle embolus?

Murder and a fake story

Last edited by blindsideflank; 07-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
blindsideflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #40
Chase
Murse

Training: RN, EMT-B
Was he in chronic A fib or was this new onset? Any current medications, particularly any Anticoags? Not with this situation but with symptoms after physical activities it always keep spontaneous pnuemo --> tension pneumo in the back if my mind.

Blue from the clavicles up....Line of demarcation?

Last edited by Chase; 07-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote