EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion  

Go Back   EMTLife.com - The #1 Online Forum for EMS-Related Discussion > Main EMS Forum > BLS Discussion

BLS Discussion For all that fun stuff specifically related to basic life support.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
systemet
Forum Asst. Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEorP View Post
From the 2010 Guidelines:
"After shock delivery, the rescuer should not delay resumption of chest compressions to recheck the rhythm or pulse. After about 5 cycles of CPR (about 2 minutes, although this time is not firm), ideally ending with compressions, the AED should then analyze the cardiac rhythm and deliver another shock if indicated (Class I, LOE B). If a nonshockable rhythm is detected, the AED should instruct the rescuer to resume CPR immediately, beginning with chest compressions (Class I, LOE B)."

Class I is the highest class of recommendation and Level of Evidence B means that this is based on "Data derived from a single randomized trial, or non-randomized studies".
Well, that's embarrassing. I guess I should have taken 5 seconds to just check the guidelines. I find the study (or studies) and report back.

systemet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Blessed187
Forum Lieutenant

Training: EMT-Basic
It's funny cause this same question came into play about two weeks ago when we did an AED skills test. Funny how it was the MEDIC student that instructed us stupid BLS providers to check pulses after first shock. Good luck to you OP! I am glad some people where able to be respectful and answer your question(s).

(Paul Newman)

Last edited by Blessed187; 05-20-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Blessed187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
ClaymoreCharlie
Forum Probie

Training: EMT-Paramedic
Not to get too off topic here but...

We also need to think about how proficient in "pulse locating" we aren't.
ClaymoreCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
medtech421
Forum Probie

Stop CPR after your patient says "ouch" the second time. Compressions might become detrimental after that.

We don't encourage, teach, or guide. You get that stuff in school. We eat our young.
medtech421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 AM   #15
korvus
Forum Ride Along

I don't have an actual reference in front of me, but I recall hearing that even if a shock works, it's common to get several seconds of asystole before the heart starts up again, so even if you do a pulse check, you probably won't detect anything even if the shock "worked". Add that to the previous comments about CPR not really hurting a beating heart, and emphasis on limiting breaks in compressions, and it all makes sense.
korvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
medtech421
Forum Probie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korvus View Post
I don't have an actual reference in front of me, but I recall hearing that even if a shock works, it's common to get several seconds of asystole before the heart starts up again, so even if you do a pulse check, you probably won't detect anything even if the shock "worked". Add that to the previous comments about CPR not really hurting a beating heart, and emphasis on limiting breaks in compressions, and it all makes sense.
I seem to remember in my last instructor update..they said even if a pulse is obtained, you should do compressions because there is a high chance it will stop after a minute or so..thereby causing reports of "we lost him a couple of times"

We don't encourage, teach, or guide. You get that stuff in school. We eat our young.
medtech421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #17
rogersam5
Forum Crew Member

Training: AEMT, M1
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech421 View Post
Stop CPR after your patient says "ouch" the second time. Compressions might become detrimental after that.
And not just detrimental to you... the Patient might get a little testy, particularly if you sohuldn't have started in the first place..
rogersam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
EMTswag
Forum Crew Member

I was always taught that the only reassessment of pulse was when ordered by ALS or an obvious return of circulation. I think the time saved by immediately returning to compressions in the event that they are still in a shockable rhythm outweigh the risks of compressions on someone that had returned to normal sinus.
EMTswag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #19
TacEMT
Forum Crew Member

Just to confirm, after giving a shock with an AED, you immediately continues with CPR? No pulse check.
You keep going with chest compressions and ventilations (30:2) for 2 minutes. Then you check pulse, and if you get a pulse, check breathing. If you find a pulse, you assist with ventilations. If there is no pulse you continue with CPR.

And lets say the AED analyzes and give a no shock. Then you check pulse, and check breathing.

Is this correct?
TacEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #20
Handsome Robb
Premium+ Member
Youngin'

Training: A Broken Paramedic
CPR with the patient hooked up to an AED is pretty simple as it tells you what to do. If a shock is advised, deliver the shock then continue compressions. No shock advised it'll tell you to "Check pulse. If no pulse present continue CPR" Pulse present? Support ventilations until adequate and monitor the pulse. Not present, continue compressions.

So yes, you are correct. The thought is, even if the shock restarts the heart, it still needs help circulating oxygenated blood right after it starts back up.
*My statements are my opinion and do not reflect those of my employer*

Last edited by Handsome Robb; 07-08-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Handsome Robb is offline   Reply With Quote